Gypsy?

See the results of this poll: Gypsy as a middle name?

Respondents: 12 (This poll is closed)

• Yes: 5 (42%)
  • No: 7 (58%)

I would say no, not because of “troublesome gypsies” but because it is the politically incorrect name used to refer to Romani people, much like the use of “Indians” when referring to Aboriginal peoples

It’s just not a direction I would want to take

edit I see the appeal it has for you, what with it being associated with wandering etc. so perhaps you would like [name]Roma[/name], it is the correct name for those commonly known as Gypsies so it retains the wanderer meaning and is still two syllables

Twinkle,

You might not want my comments again, as I am obviously biased. I love [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Gypsy[/name] for all of the reasons you mentioned, not to mention it sounds absolutely gorgeous alone, with [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name], and with [name]Rosie[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], and [name]Raffy[/name]…

I totally understand that people are wary of the name - some might say term - because it isn’t, well, PC. But, I don’t think of it as a term of derision, and I think there is so much that is beautiful and wonderful caught up in the gypsy - Romani - culture that should be celebrated!

However, as a swaying factor, I found a way of sneaking the name in that may be more acceptable to the general public. Were you aware of the [name]Gypsy[/name] Moth? The gypsy moth originally ranged from Europe to [name]Asia[/name], but it was introduced to [name]North[/name] American in the 1860s. They have some pretty cool-looking caterpillars, too! [name]Gypsy[/name] moths are responsible for a great deal of defoliation in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name], which, granted, isn’t remotely wonderful. A moth may not be what you want to name your daughter after, but it is a naturally found organism - like the [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Falcon[/name] - and it gives gypsy a second connotation…

Regardless, I am absolutely thrilled that you and your husband love [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Gypsy[/name], and I think that is what matters most. I think that the fact that [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] even list [name]Gypsy[/name] on their website - and say it has an exotic charm - is a positive in favor of the name.

Take care, and good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] to clarify, I never meant to insinuate that [name]Roma[/name] culture is anything less than beautiful and worthy of utmost respect, but I believe that in order to respect it, we need to be aware of the historical significance of the term “[name]Gypsy[/name]” or risk doing their culture a serious disservice.

I’m sorry, I really don’t mean to belabor the point, but the [name]Roma[/name] have never considered themselves Gypsies, the term stems from a case of mistaken identification of travelers by Europeans and landmarks one of numerous examples of Western nations determining the identity of different peoples with little regard for their desires

In this sense, I do not believe that giving a child the name [name]Gypsy[/name] pays homage to the beautiful bohemian culture you refer to, and I do think that cultural sensitivity is important in everything we do, including the very personal naming of children

Sorry this was so long winded, and I really don’t mean to come across as annoying, I just thought I would point out the connotations

I love the other names you have chosen,

best of luck!