'H' Poll

See the results of this poll: Which one’s your favourite?

Respondents: 42 (This poll is closed)

• Hana: 4 (10%)
  • Henrietta: 5 (12%)
  • Hero: 5 (12%)
  • Helena: 18 (43%)
  • Hope: 6 (14%)
  • Harper: 4 (10%)

Hey [name]Charlie[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Hana[/name] - beautiful and very understated, love it so much more than [name]Hannah[/name], that’s if I’m right in it being pronounced differently? Anyway, the meaning of ‘flower, blossom’ is lovely. I love names that have something to do with flowers that aren’t actually flower names.

[name]Henrietta[/name] - I think I remember reading about [name]Henrietta[/name] in a ‘that’s a lotta name’ blog and I did agree with it, although [name]Henrietta[/name] does have so many good nn options. I do like the sound of [name]Henrietta[/name] but being from [name]Britain[/name], it is one of those names that would be used by the upper classes same goes for names like [name]Tallulah[/name] and probably [name]Beatrix[/name] as well, I might be wrong that it’s just a British thing but it seems like those would be the sort of names that are thought of as quirky and different in other countries, but here they hold a certain image. Or maybe that’s just me and I’ve just made myself look a bit silly. Anyway, I do like [name]Henrietta[/name], I just don’t love it.

[name]Hero[/name] - On it’s own, I think it’s a lot to live up to, I know it is an actual name used in Greek mythology but I do only think of the word [name]Hero[/name] when I hear the name. Saying that, I think it could be a really nice nn for [name]Hermione[/name].

[name]Helena[/name] - I love [name]Helena[/name], but pronounced like Hell-en-ah. It makes me think of [name]Helena[/name] Bonham [name]Carter[/name], who I think is amazing. I hope it doesn’t sound too weird that I love a name so close to my own, I probably wouldn’t ever use it, I’d just urge other people to! I think it’s not too out there but still not that recognised so a little [name]Helena[/name] would probably be the only one in her class, I’d think.

[name]Hope[/name] - I think I like [name]Faith[/name] a little bit more, which has really grown on me since your ‘F’ poll! [name]Hope[/name] is really nice. There is a [name]Hope[/name] at my school who often gets told off which is a bit strange to hear because I think hope is a word that gets used quite a lot, more than faith and grace I’d say. I do still like [name]Hope[/name] though, I think it would be really lovely in the middle, especially as it doesn’t seem to be overdone in the middle, for now at least.

[name]Harper[/name] - love love love! [name]Even[/name] though this year I have done about a billion essays on To Kill a Mockingbird, I still love the book and I admire [name]Harper[/name] [name]Lee[/name] so much. Other than that association, I think of the harp instrument which makes think of beauty, myths and wildness.

Other ‘H’ names that I like:
[name]Holly[/name] - I know, pretty dated and Christmassy and I have a friend who was born in [name]June[/name] and hates her name because of that, but I always think of [name]Holly[/name] as a pretty cheerful name.
[name]Hazel[/name] - I love most nature names, and I think the z freshens it up a bit, I read a book once, about a really nice [name]Hazel[/name].
[name]Harriet[/name] - I know a lot of people outside of [name]Britain[/name] still see this as an old lady name, but I know a couple of Harriets that are my age and a little one as well. I think nn’s [name]Hattie[/name] and [name]Hatsy[/name] a so, so cute.
[name]Halle[/name] - I don’t know if you would like this one because I know you like names to have good meanings, it is a male deriviative of [name]Harald[/name]/ [name]Harold[/name] meaning army ruler, I think it has a really nice sound though.
[name]Hermione[/name] - I suggested this before as a full name for [name]Hero[/name], [name]Mimi[/name] is another cute nn for [name]Hermione[/name]. It might be considered too [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] but it was also used in [name]Shakespeare[/name] and in Greek mythology if I am correct. Strangely enough, for me, [name]Hermione[/name] is not too much of a name like how I think [name]Henrietta[/name] is.

Sorry if this has been too long, I just got really into it; I love you polls!

Ooh, I voted for [name]Helena[/name] by the way, but close follwers were [name]Harper[/name] and [name]Hana[/name],

• [name]Elena[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Charlie[/name],

[name]Hannah[/name] - I think this is a really sweet name, but I can’t imagine it on an old woman. That doesn’t mean anything, though, because there are certainly old women named [name]Hannah[/name]! This name is soft and delicate, playful and spirited, just like a boisterous little girl! I could see her with siblings called [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Caleb[/name], and [name]Ethan[/name]!

[name]EDIT[/name]: IT’S [name]HANA[/name]! SAME COMMENTS, BUT THIS HAS A SLIGHTLY MORE GROWN-UP [name]FEEL[/name] TO ME, I THINK. DIFFERENT PRONUNCIATION SOUNDS A BIT MORE “ADULT.”

[name]Henrietta[/name] - I love [name]Henry[/name] too much to ever consider [name]Henrietta[/name]. It sounds like a vintage mouthful to me, so I’m not sure I’d consider it anyway, honestly. It could make a cool middle name, though!

[name]Hero[/name] - This doesn’t feel like a name to me. This is just like naming a child [name]Knight[/name] or [name]Prince[/name] in my opinion - it is just too much! It could be a cute nickname, but, even then, I’d feel so weird calling my child [name]Hero[/name], especially if she had siblings. “Come on, [name]Hero[/name], get in the car with [name]Iris[/name]!” Yep, something is definitely holding me back there…

[name]Hope[/name] - It is nice, but I don’t love [name]Hope[/name]. It just feels too short for me, I guess, and seems to lack a bit of substance. But, then again, I love the meaning and the power of the name. I prefer [name]Grace[/name], simply because [name]Grace[/name] has a more pleasing, substantial sound in my opinion. Gosh, maybe that doesn’t even make sense!

[name]Helena[/name] - I adore [name]Helena[/name], seriously! I only like to say it as [HEH-leh-nuh], though, as the [name]LAY[/name] sound in the other pronunciation seems to break up the elegance of the name. Either way, though, it is quite nice. It makes me think of riches and luxury, and I picture a sophisticated, distinguished young woman with wit and charm and a lovely outfit on! It is really just perfect…

[name]Harper[/name] - One of my favorite unisex names, to be honest! It sound fun and peppy, and I think it certainly has a feminine sound to it. [name]Harper[/name] is just, well, cute! And, you can’t pass up a chance to honor [name]Harper[/name] [name]Lee[/name], can you?

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

My vote went to [name]Henrietta[/name] but I also really like [name]Helena[/name].

More H names I like:
[name]Hera[/name]
[name]Hedvig[/name] - (used in Norway and [name]Sweden[/name]; Form of [name]Hedwig[/name] used in [name]German[/name] speaking countries)
[name]Heloise[/name]
[name]Hestia[/name]
Hesper / Hesperia
Hisolda
Huetta ([name]German[/name] pronounced: hyoo ET ah)
[name]Hyacinth[/name]

Yay! [name]Helena[/name] is my favorite! I pronounce it as Hel-EE-nuh.

I voted for [name]Harper[/name]. cute, fun name. My favorite “H” names are [name]Honor[/name] or [name]Honorah[/name] though…

[name]Hana[/name] - I really only like it spelled as [name]Hannah[/name]. I know it’s pretty popular but I really haven’t heard of that many young girls called [name]Hannah[/name]. It’s also my sister’s name, (well half, it’s a double name, haha) and I really love it for this reason too. It’s such a classic, and cute name, that does age well and will never be trendy or out of style either.
[name]Henrietta[/name] - I think [name]Henrietta[/name] is adorable. I would love to have a little girl called [name]Henry[/name], that would be adorable! I don’t think I would use it though, as a [name]Brit[/name], I do know what [name]Elena[/name] means when she says it is used by the upper-class, but I live in [name]Canada[/name] now so maybe that opens it up, haha, I’m not sure.
[name]Hero[/name] - Noooo. I can see it’s quirky appeal but I would never use this myself.
[name]Helena[/name] - My pick! I love it pronounced He-lay-nah. Hel-en-ah is okay too but I think it’s so elegant pr with the -lay sound. The nickname [name]Lena[/name] (lay-nah) would be so cute!
[name]Hope[/name] - Cute, short and sassy, but not long enough for me.
[name]Harper[/name] - Cute, but not my style either.

I voted [name]Hope[/name], which is also on my list, and [name]Helena[/name] is pretty, but I prefer the name spelled with a J ([name]Jelena[/name].)

Other "H’ names I love:
[name]Hannelore[/name]
[name]Honoria[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Holly[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]

Hey [name]Elena[/name]!

I love that you love my polls:D Never fear for your posts being too long, comments are an integral part of my posts so the longer the better!

I’m so glad you appreciate [name]Hana[/name] in its own right instead of seeing it as a spelling variation on [name]Hannah[/name]. It is not just a spelling variation to me, I know a million and one Hannahs, [name]Hana[/name] is quite different. I pronounce [name]Hana[/name] ‘Hah-nah’ with a long a in the first syllable and I love that is multi-cultural. In Japanese it means ‘flower, blossom’; in Arabic it means ‘happiness’; in Hawaiian it means ‘work’ as well as being a variation of [name]Johanna[/name]. I also love it’s simplicity and subtle elegance.

I understand (kind of) what you mean about [name]Henrietta[/name] being ‘upper-class’, it does have a slightly snobbish feel but it sounds quite British to me. I agree that it would be seen as ‘a lotta name’, I know if someone was called [name]Henrietta[/name] here it would seem like quite a statement but that’s part of the reason why I love it. I’m also loving it because [name]Henry[/name] is a family name but despite my best efforts I’m falling short of really loving [name]Henry[/name] as much as I do others. So I turned to [name]Henrietta[/name] instead and I love it’s quirky-ness and character.

[name]Hero[/name] is unusual, yes. But that’s what makes it so wonderful! I think it really packs a punch and whilst it seems like a ‘way out-there’ name, it has historical roots to fall back on. I also love how it sounds very tomboy-ish and like a word name but it’s not made up and the character in mythology was a woman. I can see how it makes an appealing nn for [name]Hermione[/name] but I prefer it as a full name, in all it’s glory. Plus I’m not really a fan of [name]Hermione[/name].

I love [name]Helena[/name] too (apparently so does almost everyone here) and I think it would be the perfect name if it weren’t for all the different pronunciations. I love it’s elegance, class, history and most of all it’s meaning which links it to a family name but I seem to pronounce it differently to most people and even then I pronounce it differently at different times. When I say [name]Helena[/name] Bonham [name]Carter[/name] (who, yes, is amazing!) I say ‘HELL-in-ah’ but if I saw just the name written down or was talking about it without reference to another person I always say ‘Heh-[name]LAY[/name]-nah’ which I prefer. And not it’s definitely not weird to like a name that rhymes with your own. Especially when your own is so pretty:)

[name]Hope[/name] is an interesting one for me. As a name I don’t like it as much as [name]Grace[/name] or [name]Faith[/name] but as a virtue I love it so much more. I think it’s very powerful and uplifting whilst still being distinctive enough as a name, not lost to the mass popularity as is the sad case with other virtues. I’m yet to meet anyone named [name]Hope[/name] (or [name]Faith[/name]) so nothing has clouded my vision of someone with that name. I think that [name]Hope[/name] could make an excellent mn whilst I think [name]Faith[/name] sounds better as a first.

I’ve written a billion essays on ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ too! It was my teachers absolute favourite last year and we did it to death, almost. I can still read it and find something new each time or develop my feelings towards a character and see them in more depth and that’s partly what makes it such a brilliant book, I think. I love [name]Harper[/name] for because of the book and the author but I also think it makes a magical name. I love that it reminds you of beauty, myths and wilderness! That’s just made me love it even more:) It also reminds me of music which in turn reminds me of peacefulness. My mum’s favourite instrument is the harp so it has another connection there.

Now, let’s take a look at the other ‘H’ names you like…

[name]Holly[/name] - The name of my best friend and therefore undistinguishable from her to me. Like your friend, she wasn’t born around [name]Christmas[/name] ([name]August[/name], actually) but I don’t think she’s made the connection and if she has it doesn’t bother her. It does feel a little dated but at the same time up-beat and unpretentious. [name]Holly[/name] feels very friendly and warm to me so I do like it, it’s just not a favourite.

[name]Hazel[/name] - I really like [name]Hazel[/name]! It feels earthy and has a sweet quirky-ness about it but I can’t get away from thinking ‘old-lady’, unfortunately. There’s just something about [name]Hazel[/name] that is stopping me from loving it…

[name]Harriet[/name] - [name]Harriet[/name] was on my list but I replaced it with [name]Henrietta[/name]. [name]Harriet[/name] is charming but [name]Henrietta[/name] just seemed fuller with more character so it won in the end. [name]Hattie[/name] can still be used as a nn for [name]Henrietta[/name], can’t it?

[name]Halle[/name] - Hmmm… I’m so-so on [name]Halle[/name]. It has a nice sound and looks uncluttered written down but there’s no ‘wow-factor’ for me. Plus, as you had predicted, I’m not fussed on it’s meaning.

[name]Hermione[/name] - It just seems odd to me. It reminds me of an owl, or a kind of pattern for carpet or an exotic food combination, I can’t see it as a name. I don’t think any of this is because of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], the character isn’t the first thing I think of and I know it’s Shakespearean or something which adds to it but I’m just not feeling it. Sorry!

Thank-you for voting and for such a detailed response, as usual:) I can’t wait to see what you think of my ‘I’ poll!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Lemon[/name]!

Most of what I have to say about the names I’ve already posted in my reply to [name]Elena[/name] so this post will be a little shorter and less detailed, sorry about that.

In relation to the difference between [name]Hana[/name] and [name]Hannah[/name], I completely agree with your description of [name]Hana[/name] being more ‘adult’ and grown up. I think [name]Hana[/name] ages a lot better and is more distinctive and prettier, probably due to it lack of popularity compared to [name]Hannah[/name].

I think with a lot the names that have recognised female and male versions, you either like one or the other. With [name]Henrietta[/name] and [name]Henry[/name], I really like both and am going to use one or the other (in mn spot because it’s a family name) but whilst I love [name]Henrietta[/name], I’m not really in love with [name]Henry[/name]. I fully understand why you don’t like [name]Henrietta[/name] because you love [name]Henry[/name] though:) Did any of that make sense?

I know [name]Hero[/name] isn’t everyone’s taste, which is why it’s surprising to see it doing so well in this poll, due to it seeming like a title or a joke rather than a name. [name]Do[/name] you think if you knew someone named [name]Hero[/name] you could see it? I do know someone named [name]Hero[/name], she went to university with my mum and she was charming, bubbly and very loud, definitely a real person. She loved her name and it suited her so I can easily see it on a young woman, or on a girl of any age actually. I had to laugh at your comment though, lemon:) I agree, [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Hero[/name] wouldn’t be the most perfectly matched sib-set. Although…

[name]Don[/name]'t worry, what you said about [name]Hope[/name] did make sense and I understand what you mean. I posted my reasoning on [name]Hope[/name] in my earlier reply, if you’re interested in reading it.

I love your description of [name]Helena[/name], that’s exactly how I see it! It’s the pronunciation issues that I’d be hesitant of…

[name]Harper[/name] to me is everything you described it as and more, I’m so happy you’re a fan, lemon:) You know I couldn’t pass up on honouring such an amazing piece of literature and [name]Harper[/name] is by far the most useable, in my opinion, of the TKAM names.

Thanks for voting and commenting, [name]Lemon[/name]:slight_smile: I’m guessing you went with [name]Helena[/name]? Looking forward to hearing your opinions on my next topic!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Ginger[/name], kyemsma, jenevievem, liz22 and gipro2003!

Thanks for voting and posting:) I’m loving the name lists you’re suggesting. I think my favourites from the ones so far are:

[name]Hestia[/name]
[name]Hyacinth[/name]
[name]Hera[/name]
[name]Honor[/name]
[name]Heloise[/name]

Oh, [name]Liz[/name] thanks appreciating [name]Henrietta[/name]! I’m glad someone else loves it too:)

Cheers everyone, keep the votes and comments coming!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Charlie[/name]!

[name]Just[/name] thought I’d post a quick response…

Yes, it is a shame I love [name]Henry[/name] so much - and I absolutely do! - because [name]Henrietta[/name] just doesn’t quite reach its pinnacle of amazing for me, sadly. You put it perfectly in your response, though - it made total sense! I think one of the only male-female name pairs that I equally love is [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Julian[/name]! Well, to be honest, I might slightly love [name]Julian[/name] more, but they are fairly equal…

Hmm. If I knew a [name]Hero[/name], would it change my opinion? I can’t say for sure, but it might help a bit. But, then again, I happen to know a boy named [name]Prince[/name] - apparently for his mother’s maiden name, not because they just loved it! - and each time I see him, I’m like, “Seriously? You’re name is [name]Prince[/name]? [name]How[/name] awkward that must be for your siblings!” This is the conversation I have in my head with myself - I just couldn’t imagine using a word with such strong meaning, such expectations inadvertently assumed in it, for my child. And, as a funny side note, his brother is called [name]Lucas[/name], for his grandmother’s maiden name! Yes, [name]Prince[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name] - wonder how [name]Lucas[/name] feels about having a brother named [name]Prince[/name]?

About [name]Hope[/name], I know the most wonderful [name]Hope[/name], actually! She is bright and strong, determined and confident, a true testament to her name, actually. I did read your earlier comment to [name]Elena[/name], and I agree with you, but I actually prefer [name]Hope[/name] as a first name (same with [name]Grace[/name]) as I think it sounds fresher and slightly more, I don’t know, pure in the top spot. Strange…

Yes, I voted for [name]Helena[/name]! I adore it, as I said! I tend to like H unisex names (like [name]Harper[/name]) along the lines of [name]Halsey[/name] and [name]Hollis[/name].

Can’t wait for the I-thread! Have a great weekend, [name]Charlie[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Hana[/name]- I definitely like [name]Hana[/name] more than [name]Hannah[/name]. It feels much fresher and original to me. That being said, I’m still not crazy about the name. It’s just not my style.

[name]Henrietta[/name]- I really do not like this name! I love love love [name]Henry[/name] (it’s my absolute favorite boy’s name) but I think anything similar on a girl just sounds masculine and odd. Plus, I have only two pictures in my head of a [name]Henrietta[/name]-a grandma and a cat.

[name]Hero[/name]- While I do like this name, it is just way too much to name a child. Too much pressure and too easily laughed at. As a nickname though, I really like it.

[name]Helena[/name]- So many people like this name! I’m not a big fan of [name]Helen[/name], but [name]Helena[/name] is pretty. As with [name]Hana[/name], I like the name, but it’s not my style. Still think it’s an excellent choice for someone else. It reminds me of a Greek goddess. (It probably is one and I’m just forgetting.)

[name]Hope[/name]- My choice. I love virtue names, though usually in the middle spot. But the word [name]Hope[/name] has so much meaning to me. For me personally, [name]Love[/name] and [name]Hope[/name] are literally THE most important things in the world. ([name]Hope[/name], of course, is much more accepted as a name, though.) [name]Hope[/name] is so uplifting and one of my favorite names.

[name]Harper[/name]- I sorta like [name]Harper[/name]. Hm…in it’s general category of names (masculine, almost LN sounding) [name]Harper[/name] is one of my favorites. However, I really don’t like that category. I’m borderline on this one.

[name]Just[/name] found these polls. So cool! Can’t wait for “I”.

[name]Helena[/name] definitely! I do love [name]Hazel[/name] though :slight_smile: