Hamish for a New Zealand/Canadian Baby Boy?

We are expecting our first baby in a few days. The gender is a surprise. We are 100% on our girl name - [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]. Our boy name however has been a bit of a challenge.

We live in [name_f]Canada[/name_f], and my husband finds the name [name_m]Hamish[/name_m] unusual and it’s way way on the top of his list. I’m from [name_m]New[/name_m] Zealand, and the name isn’t so different to me. I like it, but I’m not in love with it like he is.

Other contenders are [name_m]Lyndon[/name_m], [name_u]Cameron[/name_u], [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u], [name_m]Grayson[/name_m], [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] and [name_m]Breccan[/name_m].

Thoughts on [name_m]Hamish[/name_m] for a little boy growing up in [name_f]Canada[/name_f]? Is it too close to Amish? [name_m]Will[/name_m] it be mispronounced?

Thanks team!

I love [name_m]Hamish[/name_m]! I think some people are probably familiar with it from Four Weddings & a Funeral. Not sure how it would go over in [name_f]Canada[/name_f], maybe try out the trick where you pretend it’s your name and see how people react. Have your husband order coffee and give [name_m]Hamish[/name_m] as his name, see how it feels, what kind of reactions you get from people on the street, etc. If anyone asks or thinks it’s weird, just tell them it’s the Scottish variation of [name_u]James[/name_u]. I think it would be misprounounced at first, but once you explain it to people once they should get it. If people can pronounce [name_m]Sean[/name_m] and [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]… [name_m]Hamish[/name_m] isn’t a stretch. Some other names that might fit your style:

[name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]
[name_m]Laird[/name_m]
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_m]Tarquin[/name_m]
[name_m]Declan[/name_m]
Ayrton

I love [name_m]Hamish[/name_m]! I’m like your husband in that it’s more ‘exotic’ to me, which is a big part of its appeal. I’m not in [name_f]Canada[/name_f], so I can’t speak to that, but I’m in [name_m]Boston[/name_m] and I would use it here without hesitation. I’ve never thought about its similarity to Amish, even though there it is, just one letter off. I guess I just think, you hear a name like [name_m]Hamish[/name_m] once, and then you know it for the rest of your life. It’s not that tricky.

However, you should love the name too! [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u], [name_m]Grayson[/name_m], and [name_m]Breccan[/name_m] are my other favorites. Of those, [name_m]Breccan[/name_m] would probably be the most distinct choice.

[name_m]Hamish[/name_m] is great! Unusual yet straightforward, a real name and easy to spell. I vastly prefer it to the rest of your list (bar [name_u]Cameron[/name_u]).