Hana Cadence or Greta Day?

I am due anytime now and I think we have it narrowed to these two names. We live on Maui and [name]Hana[/name] is a town here that is one of the most beautiful places on the earth. Tropical jungle and waterfalls. It is also where our little one was conceived and where I found out I was pregnant with her. [name]Cadence[/name] is a name that my husband really loves. [name]Hana[/name] is beautiful but I am not sure it stands out enough?

I have loved [name]Greta[/name] [name]Day[/name] pretty much since I started looking for a name, even though I get very mixed opinions on it. Some people love it, some absolutely hate it. I love that it sounds vintage and strong. Like she would stand out from the crowd with this name, but in a good way?

So I know these names are really different from eachother but I love them both. Any thoughts?

I think both are pretty names. [name]How[/name] would you be pronouncing [name]Hana[/name]? If it’s like [name]Hannah[/name] (so overused!), then I would say yes, it doesn’t stand out as much. HAH-na, however, I think is really pretty. I’m not fond of [name]Cadence[/name] at all-- too trendy. What about [name]Hana[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] or [name]Hana[/name] [name]Corinne[/name]?

I think [name]Greta[/name] is beautiful! Personally, I prefer it as a nickname for [name]Margaret[/name], but it’s one of those nicknames that can stand well on its own. I don’t like [name]Day[/name] at all, though. It sounds like the name of a holiday, like Veteran’s [name]Day[/name] or something. [name]Greta[/name] is my definitely my favorite of the first names, so I would go with that! [name]Both[/name] are nice, though.

[name]Hi[/name]! I prefer [name]Greta[/name] to [name]Hana[/name], but something about the pairing of [name]Day[/name] with [name]Greta[/name] doesn’t sound right/flow well to me. Hmm…

[name]Cadence[/name] feels to trendy to me, but I think that [name]Hana[/name] (pronounce Hah-na), is very pretty.

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

[name]Hana[/name]! Im sorry but [name]Greta[/name] is a name i really dont get. I dont understnad why so many people like it. To me i here Gritz. And then i just think of an old women. and then for some reason oatmeal. I think [name]Hana[/name] [name]Cadence[/name] is beautiful! Great [name]Day[/name] seems very blan and boring to me. To me the two are polar opposites. [name]Hana[/name] [name]Cadence[/name] anyday! And to those who say [name]Hana[/name] is overused, maybe its just me but i have only met one [name]Hannah[/name] in my entire life. And [name]Hana[/name] could be pronouced diffrently. Regaurdless i thinkg [name]Hana[/name] [name]Cadence[/name] is a beautiful name!

If [name]Hana[/name] is a place that has such important meaning to you, I don’t think there’s any reason not to use it! I’m not crazy about [name]Cadence[/name], but if you and your husband both like it, it’s fine.

[name]Greta[/name] [name]Day[/name] is…OK. [name]Greta[/name] is a very nice name, spunky-sounding, solid, and not overly trendy. [name]Day[/name] sounds awfully generic though, just another in a long line of monosyllabic placeholder middle names. Unless [name]Day[/name] has personal significance to you (a family name?) I’d look for something else.

[name]Hana[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] would be gorgeous, though!

Oh Maui, one of my favorite places in the world. [name]Hana[/name] [name]Cadence[/name] is my preference. I just don’t think you can top a name that holds so much meaning to you and your husband. This may be a silly suggestion, but what about Hanalei? Yea, yea, Hanalei [name]Bay[/name] in Kauai, I know (nevermind Puff the [name]Magic[/name] Dragon haha). And the locals may think it’s not suitable for a child, but if you are worried about [name]Hana[/name] being a strong enough name, I think Hanalei [name]Cadence[/name] may be a good alternative. I used to live in [name]Hawaii[/name] and I’ve met people from there with more interesting names than Hanalei (and I don’t mean interesting as in unique, ethnically rich Hawaiian names, I mean names like Shafawn and [name]Blaze[/name]).

Pronounced Hah-na. [name]Cadence[/name] was just a name my husband picked out of the name book and I had never heard it before. But I don’t like trendy names so thank you for the advice!

[name]Day[/name] means beloved, feminine for [name]David[/name]. Our last name is Lippincott so I was looking for a single syllable middle name,(trying to follow the 1-2-3 syllable rule) but one with meaning. A lot of people say that it doesn’t flow though. I can’t think of anything that fits in the middle?

[name]Day[/name] means beloved, feminine for [name]David[/name]. Our last name is Lippincott so I was looking for a single syllable middle name,(trying to follow the 1-2-3 syllable rule) but one with meaning. A lot of people say that it doesn’t flow though. I can’t think of anything that fits in the middle?[/quote]

I think the issue with [name]Day[/name] in the middle is that because the T in [name]Greta[/name] sounds a bit like a D, [name]Greta[/name] [name]Day[/name] sounds a bit like Gredda [name]Day[/name], which is pretty D heavy.

What about [name]Greta[/name] [name]Simone[/name] Lippincott?

I think the Hah-na pronunciation is beautiful!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Here are some middles for [name]Greta[/name] Lippincott:

[name]Greta[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Lisette[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Sophie[/name]

I really like [name]Greta[/name]. I also like [name]Hana[/name]. I can’t decide. I think [name]Greta[/name] [name]Day[/name] sounds ok, [name]Greta[/name] [name]Day[/name] Lippincott sounds like an author’s name. I don’t like [name]Cadence[/name] at all, and fail to understand why people think it’s a name, or a good word for a name. It means rhythm, but to me it makes me think too much of Military [name]Cadence[/name]

That is, like those sound off and call-and-response songs that might go like “I don’t know but I’ve been told” and so on. Many of them are dirty.

I think the popularity might be it sounds a little like [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Caitlin[/name] or [name]Jaden[/name] and sort of resembles [name]Candace[/name], and has a little to do with music, but it doesn’t seem like the best musical term if you like a musical reference for a name. [name]Cadence[/name] is a steady drum beat, not the melody, not even the harmony (I used to wish my name was [name]Harmony[/name], lol, like when I was 15 or 16), [name]Lyric[/name] seems a little awkward to me, but it is not that strange - sort of like [name]Eric[/name], but it’s a poem set to music, nice. For at least someone like me - I don’t know if [name]Cadence[/name] would be fit to someone who marches to the beat of a different drummer, per se. It might be in fact ideal, that is their personal drumbeat, but I still think more like a military exercise, and the precision of a group and conforming. It might be about the tides, the cadence of the waves rolling in and rolling back out, over and over and over, or just time in general, ticking away. I don’t know, I just can’t feel great about it. I think it’s a weird quality, if you can call it that, to want for your child to bear in their name, so I am stumped. I guess now you know how I really feel! It’s 99% military exercise to me, with a little hmmm, I guess it’s not that terrible.

Either way, I cannot help you choose between [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Hana[/name]. I think they are both very cute. I think [name]Hana[/name] has the additional quality of being a name in a lot of languages, with several very nice meanings. This recent article at Appellation Mountain gives more depth than I can:
http://appellationmountain.net/2009/10/21/name-of-the-day-hana/

[name]Greta[/name] is nice, I can understand why some people don’t like it though. It’s a little unusual these days. I knew a [name]Greta[/name] in college, so I find it likable and not too “gritty”. [name]Hana[/name] has a similarity to [name]Hannah[/name] and also names that begin or end with [name]Ana[/name] or [name]Anna[/name], like [name]Annabel[/name] or [name]Liliana[/name], that makes it more comfortable to the mainstream ear, where as [name]Greta[/name] really stands apart from those sort of names. I like that [name]Hana[/name] has significance for you, so I might pull more for that - it’s very special to have extra meaning to your name, that might make a common (or in the case of [name]Hana[/name], similarities shared with other common trends) name still loved more dearly than some other name. They both have the qualities of simplicity that I love.

[name]Hope[/name] that helps you. If you are looking for one-syllable names, there is a list here somewhere.

You can also do a supersearch and put in certain values for names to look up, including a preference for a list of one-syllable names to be returned to you:
https://nameberry.com/search/advanced

I like [name]Day[/name], though. Is there other significance or you just liked it? It can sound a little more like [First Name] [name]Day[/name], like Independence [name]Day[/name] or Pizza [name]Day[/name], but that’s ok - every day is [name]Greta[/name] [name]Day[/name] or [name]Hana[/name] [name]Day[/name]! - I don’t see what’s wrong with that, personally.

I really like [name]Greta[/name].

I prefer [name]Hana[/name] [name]Cadence[/name] to [name]Greta[/name] [name]Day[/name]… It has a very cute meaning. I’m sure that one day you could tell her the story of her name…

Thank you everyone! What do you think of these?
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Lily[/name]

[name]Hana[/name] [name]Opal[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Lily[/name]

[name]Greta[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]-- I think the flow is okay, but the styles don’t really match up.

[name]Greta[/name] [name]Rose[/name]-- The flow is nice, but [name]Rose[/name] is SO over used as a middle.

[name]Greta[/name] [name]Lily[/name]-- Something just seems off… it’s pretty, though.

[name]Hana[/name] [name]Opal[/name]-- Since both are 2 syllables, the flow isn’t that great…

[name]Hana[/name] [name]Lily[/name]-- This is pretty.

Similar middle names–

[name]Greta[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Selene[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Lilac[/name]

[name]Hana[/name] [name]Opaline[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Odette[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Esmeralda[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Lilias[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Ottilie[/name]

Starting from [name]Hana[/name] [name]Cadence[/name] or [name]Greta[/name] [name]Day[/name], how about …?

[name]Hana[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Davida[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Dale[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Soleil[/name] (means sun in French)
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Skye[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Davina[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Margot[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] Daylily
[name]Hana[/name] Rosebay

[name]Greta[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Camellia[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Soleil[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Skye[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Harmony[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] Daylily
[name]Greta[/name] Rosebay

[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Day[/name] (nn [name]Greta[/name])
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Skye[/name] (nn [name]Greta[/name])
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Hana[/name] (nn [name]Greta[/name])
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Soleil[/name] (nn [name]Greta[/name])
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Cady[/name] (nn [name]Greta[/name])
[name]Margaret[/name] Rosebay (nn [name]Greta[/name])
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Harmony[/name] (nn [name]Greta[/name])

I definitely like [name]Greta[/name] better.

I understand the desire to still want to have the middle name mean something. So if [name]Day[/name] is to D-heavy:

[name]Mae[/name] - Can be short for [name]Margaret[/name] which means [name]Pearl[/name].
[name]Pearl[/name] - Since she’ll be valued. :slight_smile:
[name]Kate[/name] - Short for [name]Katherine[/name] meaning Pure.
[name]Joy[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name] - Intoxicating
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Lou[/name] - Renowned Warrior
[name]Bliss[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]/[name]Jean[/name] - God’s Gift

Good luck!

When I see the name [name]Day[/name] as a mn, I think that it is a family surname … as in somewhere in your family tree, there was the surname [name]Day[/name], and you decided to honor it by using it in the middle. [name]Day[/name] doesn’t strike me as a strong name by itself unless it comes with a family connection/history. But that’s just me …

I really like both names. [name]Hana[/name] (with the pronunciation you mention) is just beautiful. My only objection is that although I can understand you wanting to honour the place where your daughter was conceived, for her it could be a bit embarrassing. No kid wants to think about their parents having sex. :wink: Having said that, I don’t think it’s too serious.

I also really like [name]Greta[/name], and I even like [name]Greta[/name] [name]Day[/name] now that I know the meaning. From your updated ideas, I like:
[name]Greta[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Hana[/name] [name]Opal[/name]

I think [name]Hana[/name] [name]Lily[/name] sounds like a kind of lily.
Good luck!

Ha I am glad you brought that up because I was wondering about that. I probably wouldn’t tell her that part until she was older. Or maybe it would just stay between my husband and I.