Hana

I’m curious about the name [name]Hana[/name]. [name]How[/name] would you pronounce it and what image comes up to your mind when you think of [name]Hana[/name]? Thanks.

Upon seeing it, I thought it was just [name]Hannah[/name] with an N and an H taken off. When I looked, it said it was Hah-nah…which is a really weird sound to me. I’ve never heard the name before so I don’t get any real images or anything.

I prefer [name]Hannah[/name].

If it’s short for [name]Johanna[/name], or if the child is Japanese ([name]Hana[/name], by itself, is a Japanese name), I have no problem with it and think it’s a pretty name that wouldn’t look odd with age. I pronounce it like the end of the name [name]Johanna[/name]. If [name]Hana[/name] is pronounced like [name]Hannah[/name], as an alternate spelling, that crosses the line for me.

I say it just like [name]Hannah[/name]. If it’s supposed to be an alternative spelling, I don’t like it.

I find [name]Hannah[/name] somewhat dated and like [name]Hana[/name] much better! Sounds a little ‘foreign’ to me, but not in a negative way, at all

I like it! Isn’t it a Korean name? Or Japanese? I don’t know a ton about it but when we were on vacation one year my sister made a friend named [name]Hana[/name] (HAH-nah, as opposed to [name]Anna[/name] with an “H” in front), and I always assumed this was how it was spelled. I like it a lot, but prefer [name]Hannah[/name] for my own list.

As for the kind of girl I imagine, I think of someone poised, feminine, sweet, happy, smart. The girl my sister befriended had long dark hair, sparkling black eyes, and was an avid swimmer, so I have the swimming association with it, too. It is lovely!

I read [name]Hana[/name] as Hah-Nah, and I read [name]Hannah[/name] as [name]Hanne[/name]-[name]Ah[/name]- like [name]Anne[/name] in the middle.
It treminds me of the movie that came out last year I think titled [name]Hanna[/name], which is the pronounciation they used in the movie- with a Russian accent. Not a great movie btw, :stuck_out_tongue: Either way you pronounce it, I don’t care for any version of [name]Hannah[/name] for personal reasons, however, I have no problem with the actual name or if any one else uses it, I just won’t be using it.

I know two [name]Hana[/name]'s. [name]One[/name] is Japanese, the other is caucasion Aussie, both pronounce it as in [name]Hannah[/name].

Thank you! [name]Hana[/name] means precious child in Korean and flower in Japanese.:slight_smile:

Same! On the right nationality great, as a twist on [name]Hannah[/name]- nightmare spelling her name her whole life.

I rhyme it with [name]Donna[/name], and I really love it/think it’s lovely. It’s one of my favorite names for a girl. Simple, but pretty. I love [name]Hannah[/name] as well, but on a different level.