Hang-up's with girls names!

[name]Hi[/name].

We’re stuck on a girls name! Not expecting yet, but hopefully soon. I have a few options but need some advice on my hang-ups with them!

[name]Sylvie[/name] - had an aunt [name]Sylvia[/name] who I used to call [name]Sylvie[/name], would be a very meaningful name for me. Like it as I think it’s both cute and classic, but does it sound too old?

[name]Sasha[/name]/[name]Sacha[/name]. Is this too similar sounding to my name ([name]Natasha[/name])?!

[name]Cameron[/name]. [name]Love[/name] the Scotish connection as my husbands family are Scots, so would go well with our surname. [name]Love[/name] [name]Cammie[/name] as a nn!

[name]Rachel[/name]. Our very ordinary and boring choice, but there’s something about it, it’s pretty sounding! Too boring?

[name]Francesca[/name]. Like the style of this name, classy and Italian, but hate the nn [name]Fran[/name].

We have chosen [name]Nate[/name] as a boy’s name, so if I end up with a boy and girl, I would like something that sounds good with this.

[name]Hope[/name] you can help! Would welcome suggestions :slight_smile:

[name]Sylvie[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]!I don’t think it sounds too old at all. I think it’s adorable, will transition well into adult hood, and I love that it has meaning for you!

[name]Sasha[/name]/[name]Sacha[/name].- I think it’s a little too close to your name for my liking, plus I know thee [name]Sasha[/name]'s…and their all boys, so to me this is a masculine name. What about…[name]Justine[/name], [name]Kala[/name], [name]Krista[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Elena[/name], [name]Vera[/name], [name]Elyse[/name]

[name]Cameron[/name]- I like it, especially with [name]Cammie[/name] as a nn! But I prefer the spelling [name]Camryn[/name] for a girl. Other possibilities: [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Logan[/name], [name]Avery[/name], [name]Brenna[/name], [name]Brynn[/name], [name]Morgan[/name], [name]Devin[/name], [name]Sheridan[/name], [name]Darby[/name]

[name]Rachel[/name]- not boring, just over used. You have so many other lovely choices that are unique and beautiful, that I would go with one of them over this. Other classic names that are less common: [name]Naomi[/name], [name]Miriam[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Joanna[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Marina[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Susanna[/name], [name]Camille[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Adeline[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Leona[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Gwendolyn[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Dinah[/name], [name]Jemimah[/name], [name]Margery[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Ruth[/name], [name]Virginia[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name]

[name]Francesca[/name]- Not my style, and I don’t know if [name]Frann[/name] is avoidable (I hate it to- reminds me of the TV show The [name]Nanny[/name]- ick!) But it wouldn’t be too bad if you could come up with another nn- unfortunately, I have no ideas:( Similar names: [name]Cassandra[/name], [name]Felicity[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Annabella[/name], [name]Natalie[/name], [name]Priscilla[/name], [name]Callista[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Julianna[/name]

My vote is still for [name]Sylvie[/name] because it is gorgeous and has a great meaning for you!

[name]Hi[/name].

We’re stuck on a girls name! Not expecting yet, but hopefully soon. I have a few options but need some advice on my hang-ups with them!

[name]Sylvie[/name] - [name]Sylvie[/name] doesn’t sound too old at all! It sounds young and sprightly and pretty to my ears. It means ‘from the woods’ and it sounds like silver, it’s just gorgeous! Makes me think of moonlight beaming down through the trees (haha). And if it has meaning, then even better.

[name]Sasha[/name]/[name]Sacha[/name]. Yes, I think it is too similar sounding, but you could always use [name]Alexandra[/name]/[name]Alessandra[/name] nn [name]Sasha[/name] (and these names have the options of other nicknames, too)

[name]Cameron[/name]. Mmm, this seems very masculine to me. [name]How[/name] about in the middle? Or there are some nice scottish girls names… [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Isobel[/name] are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. But yeah, if you love [name]Cameron[/name], go for it :smiley:

[name]Rachel[/name]. It is pretty, and it’s a classic, as well as being ageless. Not boring at all. She’ll probably stand out amongst the [name]Makayla[/name]'s and Madycynnes of this world, too

[name]Francesca[/name] -Very classy, light and airy. I’m not a huge fan of [name]Fran[/name], either, but most [name]Francesca[/name]'s I know are either called Ces (pronounced [name]Chess[/name]), [name]Frank[/name]/[name]Frankie[/name] or just [name]Francesca[/name].

I vote [name]Francesca[/name] or [name]Sylvie[/name]. [name]Sylvie[/name] and [name]Nate[/name] probably make a better sibset.

Ha! Sorry to be unoriginal [name]Rosie[/name], but I was going to say pretty much exactly what you’ve written
[name]Sylvie[/name] (a fave of mine for years) is lovely and spritely - definitely not old at all; I adore the suggestion of [name]Alexandra[/name] nn [name]Sasha[/name], as [name]Sasha[/name] is perceived as rather masculine; and it is possible to avoid unwanted nn. [name]Fran[/name] feels really dated to me, so I don’t think everybody will shorten the name to that instantly. If you insist on not having the nn, people will follow. I’ve done that with my son [name]Oliver[/name], as I despise the nn [name]Ollie[/name] - and it’s worked well :slight_smile: [name]Just[/name] keep on insisting!

[name]Sylvie[/name]: I personally don’t care for [name]Sylvie[/name], but I’m sure that could change if I met a darling [name]Sylvie[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Sasha[/name]/[name]Sacha[/name]. Like the others said, it’s too close to your name. :frowning:

[name]Cameron[/name]: The masculine [name]Cameron[/name] doesn’t fit in with the classic/vintage/feminine names on your list. If you’re looking for Scottish names, what about:

[name]Adair[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Greer[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]

[name]Rachel[/name]: I love Biblical names, but [name]Rachel[/name] feels pretty tired to me. :frowning:

[name]Francesca[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Francesca[/name]! I think it’s elegant, sophisticated, and timeless. I agree with the poster (I think it was [name]Sophie[/name]?) who mentioned [name]Frankie[/name] as a great nickname. I think [name]Francie[/name] is cute, too.

I love [name]Nate[/name], but only as a nickname (which it is) for [name]Nathaniel[/name] or [name]Nathan[/name]. [name]Nate[/name] on its own feels too unsubstatial, like naming someone [name]Liz[/name], but not [name]Elizabeth[/name].

[name]Sylvie[/name] - had an aunt [name]Sylvia[/name] who I used to call [name]Sylvie[/name], would be a very meaningful name for me. Like it as I think it’s both cute and classic, but does it sound too old? – I love the name [name]Sylvie[/name] and you’re fortunate that it’s a family name!

[name]Sasha[/name]/[name]Sacha[/name]. Is this too similar sounding to my name ([name]Natasha[/name])?! – Yes.

[name]Cameron[/name]. [name]Love[/name] the Scotish connection as my husbands family are Scots, so would go well with our surname. [name]Love[/name] [name]Cammie[/name] as a nn! – I also love the name [name]Cameron[/name] nn [name]Cammie[/name]!

[name]Rachel[/name]. Our very ordinary and boring choice, but there’s something about it, it’s pretty sounding! Too boring? – It’s one of my faves, but has been overused, especially in the Eastern United States. If you live out [name]West[/name], you could use it.

[name]Francesca[/name]. Like the style of this name, classy and Italian, but hate the nn [name]Fran[/name]. – I love [name]Frances[/name] and [name]Francesca[/name] nn [name]Francie[/name].

We have chosen [name]Nate[/name] as a boy’s name, so if I end up with a boy and girl, I would like something that sounds good with this. I would lengthen [name]Nate[/name] to either [name]Nathaniel[/name] or [name]Nathan[/name] on his birth certificate. I think [name]Nate[/name] would go with any of your choices as long as he has a longer more formal name for formal occasions.

Thank you ladies! Some really nice suggestions there. I like [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Krista[/name], and love the alternative nicknames for [name]Francesca[/name]. I live in the UK, and [name]Rachel[/name] is not that overused over here anymore, although it was when I was growing up. I also love [name]Natalia[/name], but again, too close to my name!

So, your vote has confirmed what I already knew deep down - it has to be [name]Sylvie[/name]! I also had a French friend called [name]Sylvie[/name] and she was like a tiny French [name]Audrey[/name] Hepburn!! She was so sassy and unique - so all in all the name has fab conotations for me! [name]Just[/name] told hubbie about this post, and he also agrees with me (and most of you!) Didn’t think he would, he has always wanted [name]Francesca[/name]!

Thanks again, I feel heaps better. [name]Just[/name] keeping my fingers crossed now…!

[name]Nat[/name]
x

Yep, that’s definitely a good choice! [name]Sylvie[/name] is just gorgeous, [name]IMO[/name] it’s one of the most beautiful girls names. Have you sorted out a middle name yet?

Thank you [name]Rosie[/name]! I am now happy with my choice!! We have decided against middle names. To be honest, none of our families have them, so we don’t really feel the need. Although, saying that, I quite like the sound of [name]Sylvie[/name] [name]Francesca[/name]…!! Maybe I’ll get to work on hubbie, say it’s a good compromise :wink: lol