Hard decision - name for our babygirl!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Nameberries!

I’m german, we live in [name_m]Germany[/name_m] and we’ll move to [name_u]Texas[/name_u] in a few month, where my husband were born :heart:

We’re waiting for our babygirl, only two weeks left and we still need a name.
Our son’s name is [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Richard[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Ben[/name_m] and sometimes [name_m]Benji[/name_m]).

One middle name will be [name_f]Rena[/name_f] after my grandmother [name_f]Renate[/name_f]. She raised me and passed away unexpected a month ago. :broken_heart: So this middlename is the most important to me!

Before that we wanted [name_f]Margret[/name_f] as middlename after one of my husbands great grandmothers [name_f]Margarete[/name_f].

We also thought about [name_f]Margret[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] as first name now. We both like the idea, but I think it’s a bit to short. We’re more into the 3 and 4 syllable names AND with [name_f]Rena[/name_f] it sounds a bit like margarine to me :frowning:

So we couldn’t decide between two names:

[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Minnie[/name_f])
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Nellie[/name_f])

[name_u]New[/name_u] options are:

[name_f]Margret[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f] or [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f] or [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f]

I also like [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] nn [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], but [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] and [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] sound a bit too similar in my ears???

Would love to hear what you think!

Thank you,
[name_f]Katrin[/name_f]

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I think that have similar taste! [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] & [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] are two of my absolute top loves! And I [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] plus most ‘[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]’ names also have my heart. Oh, & [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] is a great name too.

I agree that [name_m]Ben[/name_m] & [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] are too close. It could work if you absolutely loved it & nothing else, but since we have other options, I’d explore those.

Here are my thoughts-

[name_f]Margret[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f]-I think that this is really nice, because it honors both special ladies. [name_m]Ben[/name_m] & [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] are sweet together. I also love the nns [name_f]Maisy[/name_f] & [name_f]Gerty[/name_f]. [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] & [name_f]Molly[/name_f] are also nice options. But [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is good!

[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]-As I said before, I’m in love w/Clementine. [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f] seems like a winner. [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] & [name_m]Ben[/name_m] are maybe too close? I don’t know. I like the idea of [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] though. That’s really fun. [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] is another option, then you won’t have the rhyming issue.

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]-Well, I really really like [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], & as said above, I am head over heals for [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]. But are [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] & [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] too close? I suppose if she’s never called [name_u]Penny[/name_u] it could work. You could also consider other ‘[name_f]Nellie[/name_f]’ names. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f], [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] or [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]?

Would a fancier ‘[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]’ name work to honor [name_f]Margret[/name_f]? [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] & [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] are both nice & long!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] my rambling helped a bit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could put something in between to get rid of the margarine feel… [name_f]Margret[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f]? I also love your other 2 choices… both [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] & [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] are beautiful. I’d choose [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] out of those 2

If [name_f]Margret[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f] feels too short, you could go with [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] or [name_f]Margareta[/name_f].

I don’t think [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] are too close, since both of them have nicknames. You’ll be introducing them as [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_m]Ben[/name_m].

I think double middle names are fine when you have really meaningful names.

Congrats on your new girl, and I’m so sorry for your loss. I do love [name_f]Margret[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] for a first name, but I can see what you mean about “[name_f]Margret[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f]” sounding just a little bit like margarine. I’m not sure I would have noticed that if you hadn’t pointed it out, though! I do like @MichelleM’s suggestion of a different “[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]” name, if you’re open to that. Or would you be open to using your grandmother’s name in full? [name_f]Margret[/name_f] [name_f]Renate[/name_f] would be lovely. Both of your current options are wonderful names too. I slightly prefer the flow of the [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] combo, but would rhyming nicknames bother you? [name_m]Ben[/name_m] and [name_u]Pen[/name_u] or [name_m]Benji[/name_m] and [name_u]Penny[/name_u] do seem very close! Since it’s only a nickname that could just be a cute thing, but of course that’s your call. I adore [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] though, and I love the way it pairs with [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f]. So overall, I think [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] would get my vote! [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] nn [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] is so sweet too, but I sadly have to agree with you that [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] and [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] are a bit too similar. Good luck! :blush:

Thank you!
I never spotted the BenjaMIN and MINnie thing. Oh no. [name_m]How[/name_m] could I NOT see it? [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] is a great idea.

I would never call her [name_u]Penny[/name_u], because a discount supermarket in [name_m]Germany[/name_m] is called [name_u]Penny[/name_u]. I like the sound but it doesn’t work for me. [name_u]Pen[/name_u]- and [name_m]Ben[/name_m]- at the beginning doesn’t bother me since it’s pronunced different. It’s [name_m]Ben[/name_m]-ja-min and Pe-ne-lo-pe to me?
I love [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and EL- would be nice, my middle name is [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. But my husband doesn’t like it.
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] and [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] are too far away for me.

Thank you for your thoughts :four_leaf_clover:

Thank you. I’ll think about a name in between :slight_smile:

Thank you! I don’t like the look of [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]. [name_f]Margareta[/name_f] was an idea before. [name_f]Reta[/name_f] at the end and [name_f]Rena[/name_f] is not the best sound, but maybe we’ll think about it again.
Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you!
We found out the german [name_f]Renate[/name_f] is difficult to pronunce in english. [name_f]My[/name_f] husbands family always had a problem with it. :sweat_smile: And in english I don’t like the sound. Also an english and a german name together is a little tongue twister?

[name_u]Penny[/name_u] is no option for a nickname because of a german discount supermarket named [name_u]Penny[/name_u]. If my daughter would decide to go with [name_u]Penny[/name_u] when she gets older, it would be okay for me, but when I have to choose a nn, it always will be [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]!

1 Like

I just thought of these:
[name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Nelida[/name_f] [name_f]Renee[/name_f] ( [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] [name_f]Renee[/name_f]) my friend’s name is [name_f]Nelida[/name_f] and they call her [name_u]Nelly[/name_u]. Plus [name_f]Renee[/name_f] is a form of [name_f]Renata[/name_f].
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Edwina[/name_f] ( you can call her [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] or [name_f]Winnie[/name_f])
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Renae[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]

1 Like

Margareta sounds lovely.

1 Like

My pick would be [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f]! Congrats on your baby girl and your move!

I don’t think [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] is too similar at all. [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f] would be very sweet.

1 Like

Penelope [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] would be stunning

2 Likes

Thank you. I couldn’t go for [name_f]Rena[/name_f] as a first name. It hurts too much to say her name. [name_f]Nelida[/name_f] sounds nice! Never heard it before.
I

1 Like

Clementine [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f] and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f] would be gorgeous! I adore that both middle names would be very meaningful to you!

We talked about it again and decided to choose both of the middle names. After I wrote them down here we thought it would be nice to write the names in our own handwritings on a paper together with the last name
So its [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f], but still no decision on the first name.
At the moment my feeling says [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]… [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t know why… Maybe we’ll decide when she’s here :heart:

4 Likes

Penelope [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is beautiful!! I have never seen the spelling [name_f]Margret[/name_f] before, is there any particular reason why that spelling as opposed to the traditional [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]?

I hear the margarine/Margret [name_f]Rena[/name_f] problem too and I feel like an obvious option is to reverse [name_f]Rena[/name_f] and [name_f]Margret[/name_f], for [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f]. I also like [name_f]Margret[/name_f] [name_f]Renate[/name_f] a lot, but I don’t think it completely resolves the problem of the margarine sound alike, as the similar sounds are still there. :confused: I like the idea of using both as middle names. I love [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] nn [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and I don’t think its to close to [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] at all. It actually took me a couple of minutes saying it to myself to figure out why you thought the names were too similar. Maybe the names sound more alike in your accent. [name_f]My[/name_f] pick would be [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f] or [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Rena[/name_f] [name_f]Margret[/name_f].

In [name_m]Germany[/name_m] [name_f]Margret[/name_f] ia a common spelling. We pronunce it in english but liked the spelling without the a.

We thought about [name_f]Renata[/name_f], but I don’t like it. [name_m]Can[/name_m]'t explain it, it sounds weird :sweat_smile: