Hard surname! opinions needed

[name]Hi[/name] Namers,

Hopefully you guys can give me some advice on how to pick a name for our first child that will flow ok with our surname. There are lots of names i love but find it hard with alliteration (is this acceptable really or too cutsey/cartoonish?) Please judge my list below giving reasons why it does/does not work below. A non bias opinion will really help us.

My Husband and i don’t want to go for something too unusual (he is particularly fussy and hates anything to long/posh/pretty - you get the picture :roll: ) - here is the list so far and any other variants or suggestions are appreciated Thank you :wink:

Girls

[name]Elisia[/name] [name]Jaye[/name] Cowling - [name]Elisia[/name] has been a crush of mine for years now - [name]Jaye[/name] is my sisters MN

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Cowling - [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] are both recent crushes - no family connection

[name]Caitie[/name] [name]Eve[/name] Cowling - [name]Caitie[/name] is my DHs fav name -in fact there is not a lot he actually likes tbh! - me? not so inspired by it but don’t hate it so don’t want to veto, [name]Eve[/name] is his Mum’s name

[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name] Cowling - [name]Emilia[/name] - a spin of my sisters name [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Sylvia[/name] is my Gran

[name]Cara[/name] [name]Mae[/name] Cowling - Mum’s name is [name]Carolyn[/name] so want a nice variant and [name]Mae[/name] is a variant of another grandma [name]Moira[/name]

Boys - finding boys so hard!!!

[name]Finley[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] Cowling - Only boy name that DH likes so lucky that i love it too even though it is uber popular, [name]Stephen[/name] is both my fathers and his fathers name

[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Richard[/name] Cowling - [name]Richard[/name] is DH name but too long? unsure…

[name]Aiden[/name] [name]James[/name] Cowling love irish names and think would go well with [name]Finley[/name] eventually

[name]Harrison[/name] [name]John[/name] Cowling - relatively new name crush, DH not sure, [name]John[/name] is grandfathers name

ahhh… so this is it… soul bared for all to judge. But please what i really need help on is how it sounds with our surname and overall sounding, rhythm etc as well whether you like the actual names in themselves.

Many Thanks

Here are my favorites: :slight_smile:

Girls
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Cowling
[name]Caitie[/name] [name]Eve[/name] Cowling –[name]How[/name] about [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Eve[/name], with the nn [name]Catie[/name]?

Boys
[name]Finley[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] Cowling – I don’t think [name]Finley[/name] is too popular!
[name]Aiden[/name] [name]James[/name] Cowling – prefer [name]Aidan[/name] spelling
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Richard[/name] – this is not too long!

This combo is beautiful! …[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Cowling

Boys:
[name]Finley[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] Cowling - I really like this combo!
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Richard[/name] Cowling - I love the name [name]Alexander[/name], so for me it’s hard to pass up, unless the mn is stupid like Botox or something. :wink:

My favorite of your girls is [name]Phoebe[/name]. [name]Emilia[/name] and [name]Elisia[/name] seem too frilly and complicated to me. As for alliteration, I think it can be silly or cartoonish if both names have the same number of syllables. [name]Caitie[/name] or even [name]Caitlin[/name] Cowling seem sing-songy while [name]Catherine[/name] Cowling doesn’t. I think you could also use [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Jaye[/name] or [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Emma[/name] if you wanted to add some family significance.

For boys, I love [name]Finley[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] - this is very handsome and what a wonderful way to honor (both!) grandpas. I also like [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Richard[/name].

Good luck!

I think alliteration is fine depending on the specific combo. I think alliteration can make a name memorable and sharp. I’d avoid alliteration with names that begin in the same way (example: [name]Wally[/name] [name]Watson[/name] sounds cartoonish to me, while [name]Will[/name] [name]Watson[/name] sounds fine).

From your girl list, my favorites are [name]Elisia[/name] [name]Jaye[/name] Cowling and [name]Cara[/name] [name]Mae[/name] Cowling. I also like [name]Caitie[/name] [name]Eve[/name] Cowling, but agree that I’d prefer [name]Caitie[/name] as a nn for a longer name - either [name]Catherine[/name] or [name]Caitlin[/name].

Based on the fact you both like the name, I think [name]Finley[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] Cowling is probably your best bet for a boy name. I think its a very handsome combo. I think all of your other boy combos are great. I don’t think [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Richard[/name] Cowling is too long at all.

BTW - I noticed that most of your combos seem to combine a family name from the person whose favorite name is also being used. Have you considered switching some of the combos around a bit to reach more of a compromise?
[name]Elisia[/name] [name]Eve[/name] Cowling - your name crush + his mom’s name
[name]Caitie[/name] [name]Jaye[/name] Cowling - his fav name + your sister’s mn

[name]Elisia[/name] [name]Jaye[/name] Cowling- I love [name]Elysia[/name], spelled like this. The [name]Elysia[/name] spelling relates to the Greek word for “blissful,” the Champs Elysees, and the mythological equivalent of heaven. I think that’s a cute meaning.

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Cowling - I think a name with a family connection is nicer.

[name]Caitie[/name] [name]Eve[/name] Cowling-Not a fan of [name]Caitie[/name] by itself, especially this spelling, but I love [name]Catherine[/name].

[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name] Cowling - Beautiful name and honors family!

[name]Cara[/name] [name]Mae[/name] Cowling- I like the family connections, but [name]Cara[/name] Cowling for some reason doesn’t work quite as well as [name]Catherine[/name] Cowling or [name]Caitie[/name] Cowling. Maybe [name]Caroline[/name] or [name]Carina[/name]?

[name]Finley[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] Cowling - [name]Finley[/name] isn’t uber popular at all! Not even top 500. [name]Aiden[/name] is the one you’ve got to worry about.

[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Richard[/name] Cowling - I think it’s a nice, classic choice.

[name]Aiden[/name] [name]James[/name] Cowling- I can deal with the [name]Aidan[/name] spelling, but I’m not a fan of the mega-popular [name]Aiden[/name]/[name]Brayden[/name]/[name]Hayden[/name]/[name]Jadon[/name]/[name]Kaden[/name] family.

[name]Harrison[/name] [name]John[/name] Cowling- Another one I like.

My favorites are [name]Finley[/name] steven and [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name]. Good luck!

Girl Names In Order From Best To Worst:

1. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rose[/name] Cowling - I absolutely [name]ADORE[/name] this combination!!! It sounds sooo beautiful! I simply can’t get enough of it! I vote for this name 100%! :smiley:

2. [name]Cara[/name] [name]Mae[/name] Cowling - I love [name]Cara[/name] [name]Mae[/name], but I’m not a fan of [name]Cara[/name] Cowling. Maybe, and this is just a suggestion, she could go by both [name]Cara[/name] and [name]Mae[/name] and have a double first name…? I love [name]Cara[/name] [name]Mae[/name]!

3. [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Sylvia[/name] Cowling - This one’s alright. I’m not really a fan of [name]Emilia[/name], though [name]Sylvia[/name] is very sweet.

4. [name]Caitie[/name] [name]Eve[/name] Cowling - I like the suggestion of [name]Catherine[/name] and [name]Caitie[/name] as a nickname. [name]Even[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name] would work. Also, I don’t really like the flow of [name]Eve[/name] with [name]Caitie[/name]… I would prefer [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Eve[/name] or even better, [name]Caitlin[/name] [name]Eve[/name].

5. [name]Elisia[/name] [name]Jaye[/name] Cowling - I don’t like [name]Elisia[/name] or [name]Jaye[/name] and putting them together just makes it worse for me. I don’t really like anything about this name.

Boy Names In Order From Best To Worst

1. [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Richard[/name] Cowling - I like this combination the best. I think it sounds regal and authoritative and your son would get a lot of respect with this name.

2. [name]Finley[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] Cowling - I like [name]Finley[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] and [name]Aiden[/name] [name]James[/name] equally and I agree that they could be a fabulous sibling pair.

3. [name]Aiden[/name] [name]James[/name] Cowling - Very nice, although I don’t really like [name]Aiden[/name] Cowling…

4. [name]Harrison[/name] [name]John[/name] Cowling - I like [name]Harrison[/name] and [name]Harrison[/name] Cowling, but I don’t think [name]John[/name] flows with [name]Harrison[/name] and Cowling very well.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Oh my, just posted a really long reply and it’s vanished!!!

In a nut shell i just wanted to thank all of you for your time and non bias opinions, it’s really given me a lot think about over the coming months and hopefully DH will open his mind a little as there are so many great names out there! [name]Catherine[/name] he said was too posh (i however thought it was very classy and timeless) and neither of us though [name]Caitlin[/name] was quite right.

[name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Finley[/name] seemed to be the winners but now that has got me worried that those in a sibset it will sound odd! … :?

We have a long way to go so i’m sure this won’t be my last post - thanks again for all your great feedback.

[name]Merry[/name] [name]Christmas[/name] xxx