Harper for a boy

My husband and I are expecting a boy this summer and we both like the name [name]Harper[/name] but I fear that it is becoming more of a girls name. Thoughts?

I have my heart set on it for a girl, although DH doesn’t like it. LOL!

I think it can go either way. In my name books, it’s listed in the either or section.

I think it could work for a boy, but only with a really masculine MN like [name]Nathaniel[/name] or [name]Elijah[/name]. And only right now, before it gets super popular for girls.

Here is a link to another thread on [name]Harper[/name] for a boy, and some potential MNs:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think that [name]Harper[/name] [name]Lee[/name] makes a lot of people associate [name]Harper[/name] with a girl

That said, there is no reason why that should stop you. It’s not a typical or obvious “girl” name, and once they meet him they will obviously know he’s not a girl

So if you like the name, I can’t see anything keeping you from using it

I hate surnames on girls, so I would much rather see it on a little boy. However (unfortunately), everyone else probably sees it as a girl’s name.

I’m not a fan of the name, myself (it’s a surname, not a first name, plus it reminds me of harpies) but if you really love it, definitely go for it.

I love if for a boy, also like [name]River[/name], [name]Oakley[/name], [name]North[/name] & [name]Forest[/name] which may appeal :slight_smile:

I really do think [name]Harper[/name] works equally well for a girl and a boy.

As a previous poster said, [name]Harper[/name] [name]Lee[/name] makes for a feminine association with the name for a lot of people, but the name itself has a strong masculine sound.

I say if you love it, go for it, but be sure to use a traditionally masculine middle name!

P.S. My son’s name is unisex; once people meet him they associate his name with masculinity-- most people don’t even know it could be used for a girl and once they find out, they can’t imagine it sounding feminine.

I just wanted to offer a word of encouragement to let you know that using a unisex name is not dooming your son to sounding feminine! :slight_smile:

I just googled [name]Harper[/name] - Rankings by Year in the SSA listings

The popularity is going up for girls.

If it were not for the Disney character, I would automically assume that [name]Harper[/name] was masculine. I had a teacher with the surname [name]Harper[/name], and he was often just reffered to as [name]Harper[/name]. I also have a male friend with the nickname [name]Harpo[/name]. So I definitely think it could work for a boy!

I love the name [name]Harper[/name], also for a boy, but I agree that it is considered a girls name more than a boys name. My consolation name for [name]Harper[/name] is [name]Archer[/name], which I don’t think would be mistaken as a girls name (I hope!). I also like [name]Piper[/name], but again, I think it would be seen as a girls name. I thought it was obvious that these are all male names, as they are all occupational names, and historically men were the ones who were educated and then worked?? Does that makes sense?