Harper for a boy?

So my partner & I have decided on [name]Harper[/name] if we have a boy - baby #2 due in [name]April[/name].
But we’ve had so many negative comments on how it is a girls name. I was under the impression it was traditionally a boys name, considering i got it off an old Western & it was used for a boy.

Opinions please, does it really sound to much like a girls name? Have you heard of any boys called [name]Harper[/name]?

Aww, I love [name]Harper[/name] for a boy! I’m sorry you’ve gotten so much negative feedback on it. I would be absolutely tickled pink to meet a little boy with the name, and I’ve considered it for my own list many times. I’m actually considering it for a mn right now.

I don’t know any boy Harpers personally (or girl Harpers, for that matter), but I saw it used last year on a TV show for the cutest little boy (Detroit 1-8-7), and someone in Hollywood has a son named [name]Harper[/name] [name]Edward[/name]. I know someone who wants her first two sons to be [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Harper[/name], and she really has no qualms about using them even though she knows how popular they are on girls. I also remember someone told me recently they met a little boy named [name]Harper[/name], and they thought it was interesting in a good way. Ohh, I did met a man named [name]Harper[/name] just last week, I think, at work. He was an African American man, probably in his early 50s. I was so happy to see it… I mean, they do exist. I’m really sad because I saw an article about a year or two ago (before I joined Nameberry) that predicted the top 25 elite names (http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2011/04/13/top-elite-baby-names-seraphina-jennifer-garner-ben-affleck/) for each gender, and [name]Harper[/name] was on the list for both genders, both around the same spot… I was so excited because I thought maybe [name]Harper[/name] had a chance on boys… but it seems like [name]Harper[/name] is skyrocketing for the girls and it’s fading into [name]Bailey[/name]'s, [name]Aubrey[/name]'s, [name]Ashley[/name]'s, or [name]Shannon[/name]'s status for the boys.

It ranked 690 for boys last year, and 119 for girls. I think it is usable but it’s a really hard scenario. It would be nice if unisex names didn’t go this way… there are so many lovely unisex names that would be so charming on boys, but I can understand not wanting people to think your son has a wimpy, girls’ name, you know? Sorry if this wasn’t very helpful, haha. I would love to use [name]Bailey[/name] for a son in the future so I feel like I’m in the same boat. I still haven’t decided for myself where I stand, and [name]Bailey[/name] is even less popular on boys than [name]Harper[/name] is.

[name]Harper[/name] seems like such a handsome name for a little boy, and I love the idea of it. However, the only [name]Harper[/name] I know is a little girl, probably four or five. I think it seems unnecessarily masculine for such a sweet little girl, but it is rather popular and would lead me to assume any [name]Harper[/name] is a girl.

I think it depends on where you are. I think there may be some places in the world where [name]Harper[/name] is still more popular for a boy? It is traditionally a boy’s name from what I understand but it has leaped in popularity for girls. I don’t know anyone with the name. If I were to hear the name [name]Harper[/name], I would assume girl. It’s most likely top 100 for girls for 2011 and I’m guess in the 600-700 range for boys.

Unfortunately, I think this name has gone to the girls. If that doesn’t bother you, go for it!

It’s definitely trending girl like the above posters have said. I think the main issues are

1. [name]How[/name] common is the name and how people associate it - [name]Harper[/name] is trending girl now but people might not be that surprised that a boy could be named [name]Harper[/name] if you see what I mean. But if [name]Harper[/name] breaks into the top 50 for girls in say 3-5 years time and out of the top 1000 for boys then that scenario could change.

2. [name]How[/name] common is the name in your area. It’s less of a deal if your son doesn’t have to be surrounded by 3 other female [name]Harper[/name]'s.

If you do go with [name]Harper[/name], I would definitely recommend a more common masculine name.

Chels’

I think [name]Harper[/name] DOES sound like a boy’s name, but I’ve never known a male [name]Harper[/name]. There’s [name]Harper[/name] [name]Lee[/name] (the only famous [name]Harper[/name] I can think of), and I’ve known 3-4 female Harpers in real life (one adult, the rest little kids). That is definitely enough for me to decide not to use the name for a boy. But like I said, I do think it sounds like a boy’s name and it would be a great name for a boy otherwise.

While it’s more popular for girls, I think it sounds better for boys. If you like it, I say use it. You could maybe give him an all-boy middle name for balance. I know absolutely no one named [name]Harper[/name] in RL, so I don’t have the associations that some might have. But I do know boys and girls named [name]Riley[/name], boys and girls named [name]Casey[/name], and boys and girls named [name]Jamie[/name]. And it’s never really bothered me. That’s just the nature of a unisex name.

I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Harper[/name] for a boy. With my ex, I was considering the name [name]Harper[/name] [name]Declan[/name] (obviously that’s been nixed from the list now that I’ve moved on!).

It seems that the main concern pps have about using [name]Harper[/name] for a boy is that the name is trending feminine. But, that’s the key word: trending! Trends come and go. I think it would be refreshing to have [name]Harper[/name] on a boy.

If it won’t bother you to meet a little girl that has the same name as your son (and many parents clearly don’t as names like [name]Elliott[/name] are also trending feminine but also remaining in the boys’ camp), then go for it! Ultimately, this is your decision as parents, and no one can trump that.

Best of luck!
[name]Danni[/name]

While I don’t disagree with the general sentiment of what you are saying danni, [name]Harper[/name] ranks 119 for girls and [name]Elliot[/name] is not even in the top 1000 so I think it’s misleading to say [name]Elliot[/name] is trending girl when compared with [name]Harper[/name].

I’ve yet to physically meet a little girl (or boy) named [name]Harper[/name]. Personally I like it better for a boy, as something about it just seems too harsh for a girl. If you love it I think you should go for it. [name]Harper[/name] still ranks for boys. A name cannot be “taken” by the girls until parents stop using the name for boys.

I just can’t see it on a boy:-( I can, however, see it used for a girl–I do know a baby girl [name]Harper[/name] personally, and the name suits her to a tee! I love the name but only for a girl…

I actually haven’t met or heard of any [name]Harper[/name]'s in our town, boys or girls. But as it seems to be so popular at the moment for girls people assume it is a girls name. Which really annoys me because it’s just way to masculine for me, I can picture [name]Harper[/name] as a grown man without any problem. But for a grown woman to be called [name]Harper[/name], it seems silly. I really can’t explain it lol.
I want to still have it but the thought of my son coming home from school saying he was teased for having a girls name puts me off it. -sigh-

We were thinking of [name]Thomas[/name] or [name]Maxwell[/name] as middle names - after my Grandfathers. Perhaps having one of those middle names it won’t seem so girly to others?

I actually just asked this question maybe a week ago. I don’t know anyone named [name]Harper[/name], male or female. I like it more for a boy, plus there is an old movie with [name]Paul[/name] [name]Newman[/name] as a [name]Harper[/name]. I’m thinking of using it as a middle name, but I think it could work as a first name too. I think when I posted about this name someone said [name]Harper[/name] is rated 660 or so on the boy’s list, meaning that boys are being named [name]Harper[/name].