Harper for a boy?

[name_m]Can[/name_m] I use [name_u]Harper[/name_u] as a boys name? With it being in the top 10 for girls I’m hesitant. I don’t have a problem with unisex names but I’m worried about teasing potential. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I have very differing styles of names I love timeless, cottage core names where he really loves something more modern and sporty. I feel like [name_u]Harper[/name_u] meets both criteria with [name_u]Harper[/name_u] tying into literature for me & the sporty sound for him. Any other name suggestions welcome! I would also like to use [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] as the middle name to honor my dad! If we have a girl the name [name_f]Winslet[/name_f] “Winnie” is set in stone to give you another idea of names we agree on that meets both of our criteria! Thank you for your help!

2 Likes

I think you could -some people might assume he’s a girl on just reading the name, but it has enough “boyish” sounds for me.

[name_u]Harley[/name_u], [name_u]Marley[/name_u], [name_u]Cooper[/name_u], [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], [name_u]Reeve[/name_u], [name_u]Banks[/name_u], Alder/Alden, [name_u]Auden[/name_u] and [name_u]Callan[/name_u] give me a similar feel

1 Like

I love the name [name_u]Harper[/name_u] but I have it fixed with little [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Beckham[/name_u] so naturally I think of it as a girl’s name now and many other people might do as well. [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] is a beautiful name and if I were to choose between these two names for a boy - I’d definitely pick [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] :black_heart: :leaves:

I think [name_u]Harper[/name_u] is great on a boy! I really like the sound and feel of it.

However, I think you will need to be prepared for a lot of people assuming he’s a girl and likely getting comments from people (although, it’s more likely especially when he’s little that you will get comments and other kids etc won’t care, it’s almost always adults who care more).

The fact it’s a top 10 name for girls is something to think about, but I would definitely consider [name_u]Harper[/name_u] useable on a boy.

6 Likes

I agree with pretty much everything Maerad said! You’ll get some reactions but it’s perfectly usable, and I do like it on a boy.

Other names that may bridge the gap between modern and cottagecore could be Archer, August, Bennett, Beau, Cassian, Caspian, Cal, Dexter, Ellis, Elliot, Emrys, Felix, Flynn, Finn, Finnegan, Finley, Freddie, Fraser, Franklin, Gus, Jasper, Jude, Jem, Leon, Louis, Luca, Lachlan, Laurence, Milo, Maxim, Maximilian, Maxfield, Nathaniel, Orion, Otis, Otto, Percy, Rafferty, Ronan, Roscoe, Remy, Rory, Rex, Soren, Sullivan, Theo, Vincent, Wilder, Wren

1 Like

I love [name_u]Harper[/name_u] for a boy! I have it on my list along with a few other “girl” names for boys. I personally think every name is unisex, but [name_u]Harper[/name_u] specifically has a very neutral sound with the beginning similar to names like [name_m]Harvey[/name_m] and [name_u]Harley[/name_u] and the -er being popular for so many boys names. Since it is currently so popular for girls, you may get a lot of assumptions and maybe even negative comments, but as others have said, it’s more likely those comments will come from adults, unfortunately. And literally any name seems to get negative comments so I wouldn’t let that deter you. I agree that it seems to fit both you and your husband’s style, which is great since you have such opposite styles. I personally say go for [name_u]Harper[/name_u]. I’d be so happy to meet a baby boy [name_u]Harper[/name_u] in real life. But if you’re not 100% sold, some other names that give me a similar vibe that I think can maybe fit both your styles are:
[name_u]Harvest[/name_u]
[name_u]Laurel[/name_u]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u]
[name_m]Booker[/name_m]
[name_u]Cooper[/name_u]
[name_m]Finnick[/name_m]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Winfield[/name_m]
[name_m]Ledger[/name_m]
[name_m]Crusoe[/name_m]

I love [name_u]Harper[/name_u] !

I had a male [name_u]Harper[/name_u] in class last year- he was 14/15 and his name suit him well. [name_f]My[/name_f] students are obviously a little older and so [name_u]Harper[/name_u] wasn’t quite as popular when they were born, but there were no issues!

I do know one boy named [name_u]Harper[/name_u], but a few girls. You certainly can use it, and it had more history as a boy’s name until the last decade or so. But it’s like [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] and [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] from the '80s, or [name_u]Tracy[/name_u] from the '70s… They were once boy names, until they became unimaginably popular among girls, and then you almost never saw them on boys again. That may be changing–we saw [name_u]Avery[/name_u] go to the girls, but there’s still been a resurgence among boys. Nevertheless, it’s definitely something to consider and be prepared for.

Other ideas, just in case:

[name_u]Arthur[/name_u]
[name_u]Douglas[/name_u]
[name_u]Eli[/name_u]
[name_u]Finley[/name_u] (another one teetering on the gender line)
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]
[name_u]Joseph[/name_u]
[name_m]Joshua[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]
[name_u]Nelson[/name_u]
[name_m]Paul[/name_m]
[name_u]Ray[/name_u]
[name_m]Russell[/name_m]
[name_m]Stewart[/name_m]
[name_u]Wyatt[/name_u]

I know of a boy [name_u]Harper[/name_u] and think it works! [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it’s a top 10 girls name, it has that unisex quality.

You may like [name_u]Harlan[/name_u]? I also think [name_u]Parker[/name_u] [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] would be very handsome and similar to [name_u]Harper[/name_u].

Um, [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] is amazing! It fits the criteria you listed perfectly! I do get wanting to avoid the confusion of it being such a popular girl name but I think it has potential to work! People are using [name_u]Drew[/name_u], [name_u]Dylan[/name_u], [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], [name_u]Tyler[/name_u], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u], etc for a girl. I’m absolutely delighted to see things swing this direction instead.

Oh I way prefer [name_u]Harper[/name_u] for a boy. I actually met one recently he was so lovely aged about 10 years old and just made me fall in love with [name_u]Harper[/name_u] for a boy. [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] is lovely :white_heart:

I also think [name_u]Holden[/name_u] has a similar vibe! [name_u]Holden[/name_u] [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] would be handsome.

Oh I adore [name_u]Harper[/name_u] and actually much prefer it on a boy :relaxed:. I have never met a female [name_u]Harper[/name_u], but I believe I’ve met a few little boy Harpers, so while I definitely see it as a unisex name it’s strongly associated as a boy name for me.

The fact that it isn’t as common for boys makes [name_u]Harper[/name_u] feel a lot more fresh and exciting- which is pretty awesome considering it’s popularity.

Also agree that [name_u]Holden[/name_u] would be a wonderful alternative if [name_u]Harper[/name_u] just doesn’t feel right.
I could also see Wilde/Wilder but not sure if I like [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] as a combo. Perhaps [name_m]Harris[/name_m] or [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] ?

I’m not a huge fan of the name in general, but it may sound a little feminine, especially considering its rising popularity on the girl’s side. I absolutely love Harper Wesley, though, so I’m kind of both ways on this matter! :blush: I’ll also suggest (and second)~ Hayes, Holden, Harlan, Parker, and Harley.

I do agree with this, however, even though it can work both ways.

It definitely works and I prefer it on a boy!

I know someone who named her son [name_u]Harper[/name_u] and I love it! [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] is SO handsome!

I think [name_u]Harper[/name_u] would be great on a boy and Haper [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] sounds great together.
I think so many people have become accustomed to hearing it for a girl. But I do see it as totally unisex, it kinda reminds me of [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], in that, so many use it for a girl but the first things I think of for [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] is [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] [name_m]Freeman[/name_m] and my male relative is [name_u]Morgan[/name_u].

[name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] and (future sib) [name_f]Winslet[/name_f] ‘Winnie sounds amazing.

O definitely prefer harper for a boy. It sounds so soft and gentlemanly