Harriet: Love it? Hate it?

What is your first reaction when you think of [name]Harriet[/name]? My husband and sister both love the name and while the nn [name]Hattie[/name]/Haddie is cute, I’m not in love with [name]Harriet[/name] but feel I could be swayed.

I love it. It’s one of those fabulous English names which just ooze class (IMHO).

My favorite nn is [name]Hattie[/name].

I am not a fan. I like some vintage names that have come back, but [name]Harriet[/name], for me, isn’t one of them. It reminds me of the name [name]Harry[/name], which reminds me of the word harry, which then leads me to think of a really harry elderly lady.

I prefer [name]Henrietta[/name] - well actually I love it. [name]Harriet[/name] seems a little like the poor cousin to me. However, on its own merit I think its a perfectly respectable name - it also reminds me of [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] (from Studio 60) which gives it extra brownie points.

It reminds me of [name]Little[/name] House on the [name]Prairie[/name]…but if you don’t have that memory…it’s cute:)

[name]Love[/name] it. It’s old-fashioned and yet charming and will grow with the child. [name]Hattie[/name] is my favourite nickname. :slight_smile:

I really don’t like it. I find it to be a very grating sound to the ears and I don’t like feminised boys names, so this isn’t for me.

Its not a bad name, though, if you know what I mean. Its classic, quite girly, and strong. I’d love to meet a little [name]Harriet[/name] and I’d sure as hell rather be called [name]Harriet[/name] than McMadysinn or something like that, its just not something I’d choose myself.

It reminds me of the mom on Family Matters. I don’t really have much of an opinion on the matter. I don’t love it and I don’t hate it. It’s a name I would only think about if I hear/read it while on topic, then the next couple of minutes, I forgot about it.

[name]Harriet[/name] isn’t one of my favourite vintage names but I don’t mind it. This is one of the few examples where I prefer the nickname ([name]Hattie[/name]) more than the fuller name ([name]Harriet[/name]). While [name]Henrietta[/name] is posh and feminine, [name]Harriet[/name] is her down-to-earth and hard-working cousin.

I love it. I think it’s ugly-beautiful. [name]Love[/name] that it contains old-man name [name]Harry[/name].
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Beecher[/name] Stowe! [name]Harriet[/name] Tubman! And of course, [name]Harriet[/name] the Spy!
[name]Hattie[/name] is adorable too.

I like it a lot. It’s on my shortlist.

[name]LOVE[/name] IT. Fave nn is [name]Etta[/name] or [name]Hattie[/name]

I don’t think I’d be brave enough to use it myself, but it is growing on me. It’s one of those names that once you’ve met a cute little girl with the name your view is changed. [name]Hattie[/name] would be really cute!

I want to love [name]Harriet[/name], but for some reason I just cannot. [name]Hattie[/name], I love as a nickname, but I would never name a child [name]Hattie[/name] as a proper name.

I like [name]Harriet[/name] with the nn [name]Hattie[/name]. I love this style of names. I can see it on young girl or adult woman.

I love the name [name]Harriet[/name] in writing, like in books…but a real life [name]Harriet[/name]? I’m trying hard to imagine one…but I can’t. Maybe [name]Hattie[/name] or [name]Henrietta[/name] instead?

I love it! I really love [name]Hattie[/name], and at first I wasn’t as in love with [name]Harriet[/name] but it grew on me very quickly. I think you’ll start to love it soon too! And I agree with other posts, I love that there are lots of historical ladies called [name]Harriet[/name].

[name]Hattie[/name] is alright/cute, but [name]Harriet[/name] just sounds ugly to me. I get the mental image of a girl in a short dress with really hairy legs.

I think it looks prettier on the page than spoken. The “hairy” association will be very difficult for a little girl to live down. I enjoy the vintage revival but think [name]Harriet[/name] is best left behind.

If you’re British, yes; American, no.