Harry as a standalone name?

We would like to honor my father. His name was [name_m]Harold[/name_m] so we wanted our second child to be named [name_u]Harry[/name_u] ([name_u]Harry[/name_u]’s brother is [name_m]William[/name_m]/Will).

What are your thoughts on [name_u]Harry[/name_u] as a standalone name?

Harry is very nice as a stand alone! It definitely works.

Do you mind the royal association? [name_m]William[/name_m] & [name_u]Harry[/name_u] might be a little… prince-y.

2 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I think that it definitely depends on where you are. And then again…it depends on where you are. In the U.K, [name_u]Harry[/name_u] is way more expected as a stand alone name than in the U.S. But then again, in the U.K. [name_m]William[/name_m] & [name_u]Harry[/name_u] are way too associated w/the princes. What about [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] or [name_m]Henry[/name_m] nn [name_u]Harry[/name_u]? Or really just [name_m]Harold[/name_m] is nice in my opinion! Or you could do [name_m]Harold[/name_m] nn [name_m]Hal[/name_m] or [name_m]Hank[/name_m]?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] some thoughts. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

No we don’t mind really. [name_m]William[/name_m] is my husband’s middle name. Thank you

1 Like

It’s a pretty nice name! I think it’s a lovely way of honoring your father

This is exactly what my parents did! It definitely works as a stand alone name. I agree that it might be a bit ‘princy’, but I have a cousin with a husband called [name_m]William[/name_m] and a son called [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and I was the only one to notice the link, so I don’t think it’s that bad.

Harry totally works as a stand alone

Harry works perfectly by itself!

Harry works perfectly on its own. I like it a lot.

Harry definitely works on its own. It’s a great classic.

Harry is fine as a stand-alone name very common in [name_m]Britain[/name_m]!

Only concern is that I automatically think when it comes to [name_u]Harry[/name_u] & [name_m]William[/name_m] as brothers is the royal family it’s a strong association. Suggestion [name_m]Henrik[/name_m]? Maybe it’s a stretch but [name_u]Harry[/name_u] is a variant of [name_m]Henry[/name_m] & [name_m]Henrik[/name_m] is a variant of [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. [name_m]William[/name_m] & [name_m]Henrik[/name_m] does not scream royal family. Or alternatively you could have it as a middle name.
Suggestions
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_u]Harry[/name_u]
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m] [name_u]Harry[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_u]Harry[/name_u]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_u]Harry[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Harry[/name_u]

Hope this helped

Harry absolutely works as a stand-alone name!

Harry can definitely stand on its own! It’s a magnificent name.

In the UK [name_u]Harry[/name_u] is most definitely a stand alone name. If you are concerned about [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and [name_m]William[/name_m] the connection with the monarchy in the UK. [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_u]Harry[/name_u]’s real name is actually [name_m]Henry[/name_m] lol

Love [name_u]Harry[/name_u]! It’s def a stand-alone name in my book!

Definitely sound prince-ish to me, but if you love it, go ahead

I live in the UK, and as others have said, [name_u]Harry[/name_u] is very commonly used as a stand alone name. I didnt even know it was originally a nickname for [name_m]Henry[/name_m] (which seems quite dated) until I was in my teens

As long as you’re cool with the U.K royal and [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] association. It completely works as a stand alone name.