Has a family pet ruined a name for you?

My wife and I are having another baby in [name]March[/name] and we realized we have used 4 great names on pets in the past few years.
[name]Beatrice[/name] (cat)
[name]Miles[/name] (cat)
[name]Simon[/name] (cat)
[name]Theodore[/name], [name]Teddy[/name] (dog)

My childhood dog ([name]Toby[/name]), etc.

Has anyone used a name of a pet anyways?

I was just in an argument with DH over this a few days ago! I decided that there were no names that were good enough for our daughter who is due any day now. I cried and had my fit (I blame the pregnancy hormones). The only name I liked for her just happened to be the name that I gave my male dog 2 years ago, [name]Shiloh[/name]. I had always wanted to use that name for my child someday, but when I was given the chance to name an important living creature, I gave into using what at the time was the best name ever…

I told DH that we are naming our daughter [name]Shiloh[/name], and we are renaming our dog [name]Shadow[/name]. I even started calling our dog [name]Shadow[/name], and he would come, lol, because it sounds similar to [name]Shiloh[/name]. DH wouldn’t hear of it, and even though he loves the name [name]Shiloh[/name], he forbade the topic to come up ever again. I ultimately thought that she would regret being named after a dog, regardless of how great the name was.

Now I am happy and content with naming our little girl [name]Siri[/name] (SEER-ee).

Great topic! I think people should think twice before naming a pet, as once they do that name is gone forever from the pool of possible kid names (in my opinion). Hasn’t happened to me, but I am careful to run names for my dogs by my extended family to make sure no one wants it for a human child. I have also often chosen names for my dogs that I love but I think are too much for a kid to carry – [name]Jezebel[/name].

I somewhat regret naming my pup [name]Sasha[/name]. It fits her so well, but now that I am planning to have a child, I wish it were still available. I could never name a child that after having a dog with that name, haha.

We actually named our cats [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name] about 7 years ago, but that hasn’t ruined those names for us because they’re [name]WAY[/name] TOO popular now. I think I’ve learned my lesson and will probably avoid normal people names in the future.
Two names that ARE ruined for me are my husband’s parents’ dogs: [name]Shannon[/name] and [name]Penny[/name] ([name]Penelope[/name]). Two perfectly excellent names ruined for me.

For me, the fun of naming a pet is you can name it ANYTHING. If I used a regular person name, it would actually seem like a creative naming opportunity lost!

Well, I named my dog [name]Roxi[/name] because I loved the name…
and would probably use is for a child ([name]Roxanne[/name]/a) if I knew my brother would not tell them they were named after a dog haha!

I like [name]Chloe[/name] but inlaws have a cat named that…

I typically prefer non-human names for pets, like memomo said, you get to be creative! Having said that, we have named one of our cats [name]Tallulah[/name] just because we couldn’t think of anything else that fits her! The other cat has non-human name.

Hmm. . .

Parent’s pets:
[name]Shay[/name] (dog)
[name]Zoey[/name] (dog)
[name]Brody[/name] (cat)
[name]Murphy[/name] (cat)
Nah, never would have chose those for kids.

Hubby’s parent’s pets:
Taz (dog)
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Taylor[/name] (dog)
Definitely not, and I almost laughed in my [name]MIL[/name]'s face when she named her dog [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]. LOL.

Grandparent’s pets:
[name]Heidi[/name] (dog)
[name]Holly[/name] (dog)
I actually think they’re quite cute together, but I wouldn’t have chosen them for my kids.

Grandma’s pets:
[name]Meri[/name] (cat)
[name]Abby[/name] (dog)
[name]Sadie[/name] (dog)
[name]Quincy[/name] (dog)
[name]Abby[/name] and [name]Sadie[/name] are cute, but some bratty kids at my work ruined those for me anyway.

And finally, our pets:
[name]Lola[/name] (cat)
[name]Jax[/name] (dog)
I made sure when I named the pets, that I didn’t choose names that I would ever choose for my children. :slight_smile:

[name]Jack[/name] (dog)
[name]Foxy[/name] (dog)

well obiviously i wouldn’t name a child [name]Foxy[/name], but i do kinda regret naming our other dog [name]Jack[/name]…i didn’t realize that i felt that way until a few years ago…oh well it’s too late now i guess. :smiley:

One of my favorite names for girls right now is [name]Mabel[/name], but my mom had a beagle named [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Joy[/name] when I was little. I later named one of my hamsters [name]Mable[/name] as well.
When I named my family’s female chocolate labrador ‘[name]Sophia[/name]’ back in 2002, I had no idea the name was popular or even the meaning of the name. I was trying out things close to ‘Espresso’…and out tumbled [name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sophie[/name]!
We had had her for about 3 days & couldn’t decide on a name until that one rolled off my tongue!
We all really liked it. Now I love the name for a baby girl, too, but just wouldn’t feel right using it…I love that dog waaay too much! Our male chocolate lab is only a year & a half old, & was being called ‘[name]Samson[/name]’ when we adopted him. I tweaked his name to ‘[name]Sampson[/name]’, but still can’t imagine choosing that name for a little boy of mine someday.
I recently named my Persian Himalayan kitten ‘[name]Juno[/name]’, as I knew it was a little too ‘out there’ for me to give to a baby of mine someday, even though I think it’s adorable & spunky! :slight_smile:

GREAT TOPIC!
My sister named her dog [name]Bella[/name] a few years ago. I always loved the name [name]Isabella[/name] with the nn [name]Bella[/name] so at least the nn was out but now I won’t use [name]Isabell[/name] because of the popularity.

I also have dogs named [name]Josie[/name] and Rosalita nn [name]Rosie[/name] and now I regret that because I really like [name]Josephine[/name] nn [name]Josie[/name] and also [name]Rosalie[/name] or [name]Rosalia[/name] nn [name]Rosie[/name]! I have a dog named [name]Suki[/name] ( soo-key ) also which I love but I knew I couldn’t name a child that. Ugh it frustrating!

Thanks for the good question!