Has anyone ever been genuinely angry about a baby name?

I recently ran into an old friend. We were chatting for the first time in about two years, and she mentioned she had a daughter, (I don’t have Facebook so it’s hard to keep up) and named her [name_m]Jackson[/name_m], spelled Jaxyn.
I don’t know why, but I got angry. I couldn’t pretend to be nice about it.
I don’t know if it was because she felt the need to spell it aloud for me after she stated the name, but I said to her “That’s terrible.”
She looked like I’d slapped her, and obviously we won’t be reconnecting, but holy cow.
I usually just roll my eyes at tacky names like that, I don’t know what came over me.
Maybe it was just one terrible name too many, but I couldn’t handle it.

I guess my question is, has anyone felt a sudden, unjustifiable anger towards another persons baby name, or am I the only one this has ever happened to? If so, how did you deal with it?

Actually, yes. Its mostly happened to me online though. I came across this other site where you could reply to polls anonymously. Most of the polls on the site I’m sure are fake as 99% of the posters are having baby girls, twin or triplet girls, with hardly a boy name post in sight. Most of the posts included awful trendy, made-up, boys names on girls. After a while I found myself getting inexplicably angry when someone insisted on naming their kid (insert ridiculous or trendy name here) and refused to listen to anyone who advised them against it. I had to stop going to that site because I it was just making more angry and bitter that these poor “kids” were being given these awful names and their parents were to obsessed with being “unique” to see it.

I have experienced it in public. This very arrogant dad came into the Library once with his daughter, [name_u]Colorado[/name_u]. I honestly wanted to punch this guy because he obviously did this to his little girl to be “funny”. I just acted very civil towards him but I didn’t act friendly or give him a reaction at all. I would probably do the same in a situation like yours. The initial shock might show on my face but I wouldn’t give her a straight out response. I kind of brush past it and rage about it in my head.

But what I’m most worried about is when my friends and young relatives start having kids. I know some of them have very “trendy” and “unusual” taste in names. I’m worried about my reaction when they announce their baby’s name to me. The baby’s not born yet, so in my mind there is still hope but I don’t want to hurt their feelings by telling them that their name is awful. But I can’t not say anything. I’m a name nerd for goodness sake!

Not really.

I got pissed off once when I came across a father who had purposefully named his two daughters so that their names sounded dirty. I didn’t say anything but I feel my anger was justified.

1 Like

I know that website. It’s hilarious and terrifying.

I’ve seen enough family relationships go to hell over babies names to know it’s best not to get involved and love the baby anyway. Seriously, the kid’ll still be cute whether they call it Kaiylya or [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], and if they put the energy into thinking about and deciding they like that name, you can only respect their decision.

Unless it’s really bad. Like ‘that’s offensive’ or ‘do you not hear the rude word in that name’ bad.

Honestly, yes.

We go once a week to a reading hour for babies and toddlers at the local library where they act out the book they are reading for the kids. I tend not to talk with a lot of the other parents there because I feel it is more about family time than anything to me. Occasionally though, [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] will get really attached and will play with a few of the other kids around her age. This usually leads to my husband and I talking to their parents. Usually, the kids have pretty popular names or names I find darling ([name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_m]Linus[/name_m], etc.), so I don’t blink an eye (obviously little [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] could be Ruebee and [name_m]Linus[/name_m] could be Lyenuss for all I know). But there was one time in particular that I lost my cool. [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] was playing with these twin 3 year olds, a boy and a girl. The parents started telling the kids it was time to leave, but they wouldn’t listen. The mom started shouting their name “Hennessy [name_u]Dream[/name_u]! Cherokee [name_m]Ahmad[/name_m]!”. After my jaw hit the floor, I was filled with anger. THE WOMAN NAMED HER KIDS AFTER ALCOHOL AND A NATIVE AMERICAN NATION (she wasn’t Native American) for Jeebus’ sake. I usually can just walk away and keep my thoughts to myself, but I looked at her and said, “Why would you do that to your children? That’s awful. Seriously? Alcohol!?” My husband had to pull me away. I just felt the names were insulting to either the children themselves or a whole nation of people. It wasn’t funny or cute, in my opinion, to do that to a child. I know I have some weirder name tastes, but I wouldn’t set my child’s name up to be insulting. Hennessy [name_u]Dream[/name_u]? Did you drink peyote laced cognac? To be fair, I feel the same way about Cherokee that I do [name_u]Lakota[/name_u] and [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] (to a lesser extent) and I met a child named Cree once that made me want to smack the parents.

What’s the website, I need a laugh.

Generally no, yet again I know mostly people with common and perfectly spelled names. However, I did meet a girl with a fairly common name but it was Horribly, horribly misspelled, and I did get slightly annoyed with it.

No, I’ve never gotten angry and I would never say anything to another parent about their name choice. I have to admit, whatever you feel about the name, I find it very rude and disrespectful to openly and in front of a parent trash their choice of name for their child - think whatever you like! I have my own “WTF?!” moments with names, but I’d never voice my opinion unless I was directly asked for it! I know some people find my children’s names plain and boring - but these are the names we chose because we loved them!

I think, yes the example where the dad deliberately named his daughters to make it sound dirty IS justifiable, but just because it gets up your goat and you don’t agree with it, doesn’t mean you are entitled to voice your opinion. [name_m]Just[/name_m] remember, those people may look at your kids and think “Why would she name her kid THAT!?”

Its called the [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name [name_f]Genie[/name_f]. I discovered it way before I discovered Nameberry( which is a thousand times better). They have a poll section were people can create and respond to polls anonymously. I haven’t been there in a while. But from what I remember there were some serious idiots on there. The best part was there were at least 10+ different polls a day expecting twin girls and at least 3 people expecting triplets or more. It makes me laugh because I know that would never fly on Nameberry!

My sister’s neighbor’s children are a girl, [name_f]Kylie[/name_f], and a boy, [name_u]Kyle[/name_u]. I’m serious. "We like the sound, " the parents said. I almost keeled over. Thing is, they’re lovely people.

1 Like

My sister went to school with someone named Monstrosity. She went by Trocity, but it’s still a terrible name for anyone.

1 Like

I’ve been gobsmacked my some people’s chooses of names for sure; but, I only think I’ve been truly angry over names was when I came across the sibset of Killem and Beatum while at work. Thankfully it was just paperwork I was looking over so no one was around to hear my literal outburst of “You’ve got to be kidding!,” it was one of those moments where you wonder what kind of parent would that to an innocent child or what kind of household those children have been born into.

I grew up in a very urban, very “ghetto” neighborhood so there are some names that make me just want to slap people.

Ay’Jaineh (jesus I still can’t spell that. It’s pronounced [name_f]Asia[/name_f]-Nay)
Jaykillz (Jah-Keels)
Dreavychon (Dray-Va-[name_u]Shawn[/name_u])
Aa’[name_f]Nyah[/name_f] (Uh-[name_m]Nye[/name_m]-Uh)
[name_f]Alize[/name_f] Passion (yes, like the drink)
[name_f]Neveah[/name_f] (which normally wouldn’t bother me, except she SPELLED IT WRONG)

and my personal favorite:

Cadillac Deville.

I got rather upset the other day when I found out that some acquaintances whom I haven’t seen in a long time named their son Summit. His siblings are R1ver and [name_m]Lum[/name_m]@e, which are quite unusual but (to me) acceptable, but for some reason Summit just irritates me.

Has anyone here ever been on the Yahoo Answers baby names section? Someone there said they wanted to call their kid [name_u]Kendall[/name_u], spelt Kynndall. Terrible. Another person was consider [name_m]Michael[/name_m], spelt Mykal…

They can name their next children [name_u]Keely[/name_u] and [name_u]Kai[/name_u]. :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t know that I’ve ever gotten angry. I often find myself dismayed, especially now that I’m thinking much more about names. In Starbucks last week, I heard a woman calling to her kids from across the store - [name_m]Jam[/name_m] and Coke. I kid you not. Sometimes, I confess, I find myself annoyed if someone who is engaging in some type of atrocious behavior has a small child and they’ve given it a name from my list of preferred choices.

Summit makes me think of a Northern couple unable to agree on a name: ‘well, we’ve got to call him summat!’ ‘all right then, we’ll call him Summat!’ :frowning:

I think the worst I ever heard of personally was [name_f]Tequila[/name_f]. I don’t care how much you love it or how big a role it played in the conception of your child, it does not make it a suitable name for a human being.

Standing ovation. I completely agree with everything you’ve said here. Particularly infuriating: when a poster who’s asked for advice on their (terrible, misspelled, trendy) list refuses all advice by insisting “But boys names on girls/adding unnecessary 'y’s/[insert baby name sin here] is just MY STYLE. You don’t get it because it’s so [name_u]UNIQUE[/name_u].”

$&@#

Really?! I think I would have the same reaction, that’s awful.

As a teacher, I have definitely come across some names that really make me shake my head and think “poor kids, how awful,” but nothing that has made me angry.