Has Their Time Come?

I know I’m eccentric or odd, but I love the names [name_m]Davenport[/name_m] and Chesterfield.

I do know they are old-fashioned sofas, but they are old-fashioned names and I love those (I’m quite keen on sofas too). :slight_smile:

I love the nns [name_m]Chess[/name_m], [name_f]Chessley[/name_f], [name_m]Chester[/name_m], [name_f]Chessie[/name_f], [name_m]Field[/name_m], and [name_m]Fielder[/name_m] and I also love [name_m]Dave[/name_m], [name_m]Davey[/name_m], [name_u]Daven[/name_u], [name_m]Port[/name_m], and [name_u]Porter[/name_u].

At the least, I sure hope someone adopts two male cats and names them [name_m]Davenport[/name_m] and Chesterfield!

4 Likes

I think they could come back! [name_m]Davenport[/name_m] in particular feels like a surname-name that wouldn’t raise my eyebrows. It feels usable on modern boy :blush:

Chesterfield is a bit braver- to me it sounds like it should be a city or hotel. It’s not too old-fashioned in my mind, just too bulky and not name-like. Though I love the idea of [name_m]Chess[/name_m], [name_f]Chessie[/name_f], and [name_m]Fielder[/name_m] (I have Fields on my own list!)

3 Likes

I would probably go for [name_u]Daven[/name_u] and [name_m]Chester[/name_m] honestly they sound pretentious to me. But if you love them then go for it!

Totally agree with @EagleEyes

1 Like

I’m so on board with what seems currently

[quote=“[name_u]Harvest[/name_u]-[name_u]Endellion[/name_u], post:1, topic:359971”]
eccentric or odd
[/quote]
:heart:
I think [name_m]Davenport[/name_m] feels like one of your well-dressed names. Chesterfield has a slightly different vibe for me. I think I can’t help associating [name_m]Chester[/name_m] with [name_f]Chesney[/name_f] and [name_f]Chesney[/name_f] Hawkes, sadly! Because [name_m]Chester[/name_m] should be very much my style, going by what I usually like. Chesterfield is where my grandparents lived for many years so it makes me think of the [name_f]English[/name_f] town’s crooked spire and when we saw it we knew we were almost at Grandma and Grandad’s house! I agree that [name_m]Chess[/name_m] is a great nn, and what about [name_m]Chet[/name_m]? Or does that take it too [name_f]Chesney[/name_f] again?
What about [name_m]Davenport[/name_m], nn [name_m]Davey[/name_m] on a girl?

I am a fan of [name_m]Chester[/name_m]! :slightly_smiling_face:

I think they would work whether or not it will become trendy is very unlikely at least to me, outsider looking in the names give the vibe of very pretentious white person, I think there’s sweetness in them, but I think universal names will continue to be on trend more, that aside I love bold name choices and am a big fan of both!

I can definitely see them as middle names, and if you’re brave enough they could probably be first names as well.

I can’t really picture [name_m]Davenport[/name_m] and Chesterfield on actual human beings. They just seem too furniture-y and surname-y at best. I think a lot of the nicknames you like could work though!

These would make excellent cat names :+1:

Surnamey names are becoming more popular so they may well come back! [name_m]Davenport[/name_m] is handsome

They sound a bit pretentious. Sorry! They also kind of sound like they would be the names of houses in [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] books.

Wonderful house names!

I think they could work well as middle names! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I could see [name_m]Davenport[/name_m] working irl, but maybe not Chesterfield… it’s just a bit much.

I live by a Chesterfield and a [name_m]Chester[/name_m] so all I see are town names in Chesterfield and [name_m]Davenport[/name_m] as opposed to sofas but it’s not unheard of people being named after places so I don’t think it’s be COMPLETELY out there. Unheard of… likely. “Out there” maybe not so much if that makes sense!

I think you’re right. I have a naming account on Instagram, and [name_m]Davenport[/name_m] is one I posted this year. It has multiple nickname potential, it follows the surnames-as-first-names trend, and it’s familiar and not invented. It didn’t show up in the 2019 Social Security Administration rankings, but there have to be at least 5 babies born with the name for it to appear.

1 Like

Of all the names I’d love to meet, [name_m]Davenport[/name_m] is in the top 5!

1 Like

I think they’d make darling pet names. I can see it on a kid but I’d have preconceived notions about their parents being wealthy, very fancy people. But all the nicknames you mentioned are super fun so it’s too bad!

Well, preconceptions can be changed. :slight_smile: Maybe start with cats though!

1 Like