Have 2 daughters now expecting a boy and we do NOT agree on names! HELP

My husband and I are very fortunate to have 2 beautiful daughters and we are now expecting our third and he’s a boy.
Our daughters are [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. (please note [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] in Australia and [name_f]England[/name_f] has not got the same connotations as in the USA)
Our criteria for selecting these names was as follows

• classic but not common
  • like all the shortenings ([name_u]Jem[/name_u], [name_f]Mim[/name_f], [name_f]Mima[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]El[/name_f], [name_u]Lou[/name_u] etc)
  • they sing a little
  • Not unisex

Now we’re having a boy and my husband and I are poles apart on names.
I love [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m], [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] etc
He’d be more than happy with [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Tom[/name_m]…

I feel we’ve made a big effort to chose names that are a little left of centre for the girls and would like same for the boy. I don’t want him to be one of 4 in his class with the same name.

We both sort of like [name_u]Finn[/name_u], but I feel its very soft and also sort of like [name_u]Toby[/name_u] but again its pretty common amongst our set.

So throw them at me, I need names!!! Same criteria as the girls and my husband would throw in ‘not dorky’ to the mix.
PS We’ve got a family middle name, so its just 1sts I’m after.

[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Mitchell[/name_m]
[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_m]Donovan[/name_m]
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]

• not sure why but its doesn’t buzz me.

Great start tho, keep it coming!

I love [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], such a nice sibset.
First off, I will second [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_m]Felix[/name_m] from the pp. I think those would make a great brother name for your girls. If you are not fond of the same initial for two children [name_m]Casper[/name_m] is the equally as cool dutch form of [name_m]Jasper[/name_m].

From your list I like [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], and I love [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] (if that’s what your husband is thinking for a full name for [name_m]Tom[/name_m].)
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] seems to fit nicely in your sibset and fits in the middle of your two styles. [name_m]Linus[/name_m], [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] also come to mind.
What about [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] instead of [name_u]Finn[/name_u]? It adds a bit more, and goes better with your girls names.
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Charles[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] and other classics seem like obvious fits for your style.

Maybe your husband can pick a nickname he loves from a name you love or vice versa?
[name_m]Archibald[/name_m] nn [name_m]Archie[/name_m] might be something you would like.

Good luck!

I like [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] but to me it’s unisex, I’m from Australia and have only met girl [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]'s.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] (instead of [name_u]Finn[/name_u]) or [name_m]Ronan[/name_m]?

What about a classic name with a less common short form? Like [name_u]James[/name_u] nn [name_u]Jem[/name_u], [name_m]William[/name_m] nn [name_m]Wilkie[/name_m], or [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] nn [name_m]Tam[/name_m]?

[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]
[name_m]Armand[/name_m]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_m]Hallam[/name_m]
[name_u]Sidney[/name_u]
[name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m]
[name_m]Stellan[/name_m]
[name_m]Esmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Tybalt[/name_m]
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m]
[name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]

My name is [name_f]Jemima[/name_f], and I have a cousin named [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]! You have great taste :wink: My brother’s name is [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Barney[/name_m]) if it helps at all.
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] ([name_u]Theo[/name_u], [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], [name_m]Ted[/name_m], [name_m]Bear[/name_m])
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] ([name_m]Gabe[/name_m])
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] ([name_m]Cas[/name_m], [name_m]Cash[/name_m])
[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] ([name_u]Max[/name_u])
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] ([name_m]Sol[/name_m])
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] ([name_m]Ed[/name_m], [name_m]Eddie[/name_m], [name_m]Ned[/name_m], [name_m]Ted[/name_m])
[name_m]Felix[/name_m] ([name_m]Fox[/name_m])
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m] ([name_u]Sander[/name_u]/[name_m]Zander[/name_m])
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] ([name_m]Zeke[/name_m])
Best of luck!

I love [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_f]Jemima[/name_f]. I think [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] are great suggestions.
more ideas-
Abram- Bram
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Beau[/name_m]
[name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]
[name_m]Darius[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m]
[name_u]Asa[/name_u]
[name_u]Dean[/name_u]
[name_m]Axel[/name_m]
[name_u]Dexter[/name_u]
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]

Apologies for the repeats:

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] &

[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] ([name_m]Zeke[/name_m])
[name_u]Jamison[/name_u] ([name_m]Jas[/name_m])
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Matteo[/name_m]
[name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m] - has the [name_m]William[/name_m] that he likes and the [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] that you do!
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
[name_m]Remington[/name_m] ([name_m]Rem[/name_m], [name_u]Remy[/name_u])
[name_m]Cassius[/name_m] ([name_m]Cas[/name_m])
[name_m]Holden[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Casimir[/name_m] ([name_m]Cas[/name_m])

" [name_m]Linus[/name_m], [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] also come to mind." <— LOVE these for you! They’re perfection :slight_smile:

I also like a pp’s suggestion of…

Edmund, nn Ned
Phineas, nn Finn
Ronan (just because I love it)

I think some fantastic suggestions have been given, and I can’t say that I have much to add. I just wanted to pop in and say that I think Jemima and Eloise may seriously be the most lovely sibset I’ve ever heard. Living in the States, I’m insanely jealous of Brits and Aussies for being able to use Jemima. I absolutely love it :slight_smile:

I immediately thought of [name_m]Miles[/name_m]. [name_f]Love[/name_f] your daughters names!

Other ideas (apologize for repeats).

[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_m]Byron[/name_m]
[name_m]Russell[/name_m]
[name_m]Bernard[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Beau[/name_m]
[name_m]Raymond[/name_m]
[name_m]Alfred[/name_m]/[name_u]Alfie[/name_u]
[name_m]Brigham[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_u]Lyle[/name_u]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_m]Clark[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]
[name_u]Darby[/name_u]
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_m]Nolan[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_u]Seth[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m]
[name_m]Reuban[/name_m]
[name_m]Preston[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Jarvis[/name_m]
[name_m]Angus[/name_m]
[name_m]Vaughn[/name_m]
[name_m]Garrett[/name_m]
[name_m]Dermot[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]

First name that springs to mind is [name_m]Hugh[/name_m]. [name_f]Love[/name_f] this name for its classic charm whilst being decidedly uncommon.

I love [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] but to me it’s unisex as the only [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] I know is a girl, asides from [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] [name_m]Jones[/name_m]’ Diaries.

I also love [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] for its retro vintage cool & adorable nn [name_m]Tommy[/name_m]

Other suggestions :
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] (nn [name_u]Charlie[/name_u])
[name_m]Hamish[/name_m]
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Baxter[/name_m]
[name_m]Huxley[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_m]Ralph[/name_m]

GL

I see that [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] has been suggested, personally I love [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], nick name [name_m]Art[/name_m]. It seems to pull off being both whimsical and grounded. I also really like [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] or [name_m]Casper[/name_m] ([name_u]Jazz[/name_u], or [name_m]Case[/name_m]), though [name_m]Casper[/name_m] make me think of a friendly ghost, I doubt anyone from his generation would know the reference.

I like to add…

[name_m]Miles[/name_m]/[name_m]Milos[/name_m]/ [name_m]Milo[/name_m]- nn Mi (think [name_m]Ty[/name_m] or [name_u]Kai[/name_u]), or you could call a [name_m]Miles[/name_m], [name_m]Milo[/name_m] the same way you call a [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_m]Jack[/name_m].

[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]- [name_u]Nick[/name_u], [name_u]Nick[/name_u], [name_u]Nico[/name_u] first [name_u]Nick[/name_u] name ever!

[name_m]Alfred[/name_m]- [name_u]Alfie[/name_u], [name_m]Al[/name_m], [name_m]Fred[/name_m], [name_u]Freddy[/name_u]. You can shorten this name a lot of different ways and it’s awesome.

Also since you like [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], and your hubby likes [name_m]William[/name_m], you could always call him [name_m]Fitz[/name_m] after a certain famous [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] . :wink:

Final suggestion is either [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] or [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]- nick-name [name_m]Ben[/name_m], or [name_m]Benny[/name_m].

Good luck with and congratulations!

Double post. But extra congratulations!

I like your husbands suggestions, i think they are classic and seem to go nicely with your girls names, then again [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]William[/name_m] are very common these days.
[name_f]May[/name_f] i suggest
[name_m]Timothy[/name_m] ([name_m]Tim[/name_m], [name_m]Timmy[/name_m])
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_u]Conner[/name_u]
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m]/[name_m]Christian[/name_m] ([name_u]Chris[/name_u])
[name_m]Charles[/name_m]/[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m] ([name_m]Zach[/name_m])
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] ([name_u]Alex[/name_u])
[name_u]Dexter[/name_u] ([name_m]Dex[/name_m])
[name_m]Damian[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] ([name_m]Jonty[/name_m], Jono)
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m] ([name_m]Dan[/name_m])

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] you like! :slight_smile:

[name_f]May[/name_f] I just thank you all for your excellent suggestions especially those who suggested fitzwilliam which is my absolute fave (my dogs name is…Bingley!!! Such is my love of PP) alas I will have an uphill battle getting that past the keeper (but I’ll not give up.)
Of your suggestions I’m loving
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_u]Alfie[/name_u]
[name_u]Finlay[/name_u]
There were other excellent suggestions which have been taken by nephews, god children, close friends etc …

Keeping with the PP theme another [name_m]Ben[/name_m] name could be [name_m]Bennet[/name_m] or [name_m]Bennett[/name_m]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] saying. :wink: