Have I lost my mind?

Hello everyone, I’m new to nameberry and am so pleased to find a site full of great people with amazing knowledge of names. I thought I’d finally post as I need advice on an unusual boys name. Previously my fave names have been…

[name]Tom[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]/[name]Harry[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]
However I now find myself completely in love with the name [name]Banjo[/name]! I have no idea why and am wondering if I have lost the plot? Our last name is Brenson. Any thoughts on my stray from classic names? Keep in mind I’m Australian so [name]Banjo[/name] conjures up thoughts of poetry ( [name]Banjo[/name] [name]Patterson[/name] ) more than a musical instrument. I also quite like [name]Sullivan[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name] but think [name]Sullivan[/name] with Brenson is too heavy on n sounds. Thanks so much : )

I don’t think you’ve lost your mind but it’s certainly asserting its right to be free! To the American ear, [name]Banjo[/name] sounds pretty outrageous — especially compared to [name]Tom[/name] or [name]Henry[/name] — but I love [name]Sawyer[/name] and it sounds great with your surname. Seems as if you want to explore the wide nouveau world of boys’ names before you settle down with [name]Tom[/name]. Better to do so now that have regrets later. And I’m sure the nameberryites can come up with some wonderful suggestions for you!

[name]Hi[/name] there!
I think [name]Banjo[/name] is an alright name… I myself would not have the guts to use it though! I know one lady off Brothers be Sisters has a son named [name]Banjo[/name] and a daughter named [name]Adelaide[/name]. I’ve read quite few tidbits from websites and such that criticize the name, if that is any foreshadow to how your son [name]MAY[/name] be teased. Would you be open to the idea of the nn [name]Joe[/name]? I think [name]Banjo[/name] may be taken well though. I am not a fan of how it sounds with your last name though.
I really like [name]Sawyer[/name], and it flows nice.
[name]Just[/name] remember though, just because some random person does not like your name choice should not stop you from givin your son a name you love, but should be taken into consederation.

Good luck!!! :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for your opinions girls. It is very way out there which is why I think I’ve lost it! Hopefully I’m just going through a mad stage and sanity will prevail. You never know though - hubby likes [name]Banjo[/name] too! Think some more researching is called for : )

Have you considered using [name]Banjo[/name] as a nn for the classic [name]Benjamin[/name]? That way he’d have options, and you could indulge both of your naming sensibilities!

[name]Olive[/name]! You read my mind! I came here to suggest [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Oliver[/name], “Benj-o,” which could lead to a “[name]Banjo[/name]” nickname. :slight_smile:

While it’s one thing to dislike a name due to personal preferences and style, I think it’s much less trivial to be wary of a name due to potential teasing. I think life is hard enough as it is without a name destined to be teased on the playground. :frowning:

[name]Pam[/name] (she replied earlier, and is one of the name experts/authors who owns this site) once suggested that a parent considering using an unusual name go out in public and introduce herself/himself to strangers using the name. You’ll be able to see people’s reactions and get an idea of what a little [name]Banjo[/name] may encounter, and I think it’s a great idea.

Best wishes to you and your family! :slight_smile:

I knew I’d come to the right site! Sound advice from you all so thank you so much. I will be doing some more work on my list so will post soon for some more opinions : )