Have I made a mistake?! Help!

I named my 6-day-old son [name]Weston[/name] [name]Joseph[/name], and I might be freaking out about it a little!

So far it’s been misspelled more times than spelled correctly, and one of the first people (a stranger) who I told the name to, said, “Oh, like the hotel.” (No! Not like the hotel!)

Meanwhile, my father-in-law made it clear he doesn’t like the name, but even more concerning to me is the lack of positive feedback I’ve gotten. It seems like when people hear a baby name, they at least politely say it’s a good name, but I’m not getting anything…

Have I made a mistake?!

[name]Weston[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] is handsome. I wouldn’t worry about other people…they will get used to it.

First, take a deep breath! :slight_smile:

Second, why did you select those names in particular? Family names? Names you have loved since you were young? Or did they just feel right? Did you choose [name]Weston[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] early on, or decide on it late in the game?

Last, it is not a bad name by any means! It has a great flow and I agree, it is very handsome and strong. Not like you named him Motorcycle Dragon… :wink: BUT if you are questioning it, are YOU sure you love it, regardless of what others thing? If YOU love a name, that is all that matters.

If you are seriously reconsidering amending his birth certificate, what other names were you considering? I’m happy to help think of other possibilities if you are interested!

xoxo
sheridan

We couldn’t decide on a name for our entire pregnancy, and decided to wait until we saw him.

We had a list of about 5 names, gradually narrowing it down to 2. When he was born, we named him the other name ([name]Colton[/name]) but it didn’t seem to fit, so we went with [name]Weston[/name].

I always liked [name]Weston[/name], and we thought [name]Wes[/name] would be a cute nickname. [name]Joseph[/name] is a meaningful name for me so that one was a given.

Is this a “weird” name? The hotel thing caught me by surprise - I don’t know why, but it hadn’t occurred to me until I named him!

Thanks for any thoughts you have! :slight_smile:

One other thought - I know you’re supposed to name your kid something that YOU like, but it does seem important to me that it’s a universally like-able name, because OTHER people will be his friends, his girlfriends and his future employers, not me. Know what I mean?

I love it!!! (and I am uber-traditional with my taste in names) I can’t believe folks have said negative things to you already. So rude.

No mistake. Great name. Ignore the nay-sayers!!

I think it’s a great name and [name]Wes[/name] is super cute!

I’m really surprised you’ve had so much negativity about [name]Weston[/name]! It’s a great name that fits in beautifully with current trends, but still has a sort of vintage feel (to me anyway). I adore the nickname [name]Wes[/name]/[name]West[/name]!

[name]Don[/name]'t worry about the spelling problems. Not a single person spelled my son’s name right at first, but he’s 1 now and everyone has figured it out! It’s not nearly as big of a deal as I feared at first!

Wow! I’m surprised about the negative reaction toward [name]Weston[/name], too. I didn’t even think of the hotel connection, and how can you misspell [name]Weston[/name]?

Anyway, if it really bothers you, you could try [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] ([name]Wes[/name]) or [name]Joseph[/name] [name]West[/name] ([name]Jojo[/name], [name]Joey[/name], [name]West[/name], or [name]Wes[/name])…

Take care! Congratulations on your baby boy!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Personally,
I love it. [name]Don[/name]'t listen to what others say!
And don’t question what you did.
I think it’s perfect!
It’s strong and masculine and beautiful.
I bet he’s a little doll!
Congratulations Momma!

I sort of like it. Wouldn’t use it myself (bad with a -son last name), but I can see the appeal.

I suppose it would be possible to misspell, but your spelling is the normal one for the name. What misspellings have you got?

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name. Seriously. I think it’s handsome and great for a child or an adult. I’m pretty surprised you’re getting negative reactions to it. If, forgetting about the insecurity you’ve gotten because of other people, you love the name, keep it.

Definitely NOT a mistake. [name]Weston[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] is a fantastic name. Yes you probably will hear the hotel connection more times in his life but [name]Weston[/name] is such a fabulous name I’d hate to see you change it. Honestly I like it much better than [name]Colton[/name]. If you do decide to change it I think [name]Lemon[/name] had some great suggestions. [name]Joseph[/name] [name]West[/name] is as handsome as [name]Weston[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]. I really hope you don’t change your mind.

firstly, congrats on your baby boy, i think its a lovely name!
secondly, im sad that these people are so rude and have made you think twice! goodness, that is so [name]RUDE[/name]!
names take some time for everyone to get used to, believe me, my childs name is pretty unusual ([name]Anezka[/name]) and it probably took about 6wks for even her grandparents to start saying it properly!
i really dont care what people think, i adore it, and you should feel the same about Westons name :slight_smile:

I agree with everyone…keep the name–it is a handsome boy’s name!
Nameberry lists [name]Weston[/name] as an English boy’s name, meaning “from the western town.”

Although I prefer traditional names – like [name]Joseph[/name], I can’t think of anything objectionable about [name]Weston[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] and think it’s a very distinguished sounding name.

Four years ago my nephew and wife named their second son [name]Easton[/name]. I had never heard [name]Easton[/name] used as a given name before and knew it only from the name of a Blvd. in our city. I was pretty skeptical. But the name has grown on me, and I can see why [name]Easton[/name]'s parents chose the name. They wanted something “different” yet dignified. I like the name a lot now.

I think your family will come around too. I’d stick with the name YOU chose and not worry about other’s reactions to it. Most people don’t follow baby name popularity and trends and are unfamiliar with many names being chosen for today’s babies. [name]Weston[/name] has a familiar sound-alike with the well-known name [name]Wesley[/name] (just as [name]Easton[/name] has with [name]Ethan[/name]), and I think that and hearing the name [name]Weston[/name] on their darling boy will soon make them fans of the name.

Best wishes!

I wouldn’t worry about it! My husband and I had a smiliar method for naming our daughter (waited until we saw her) and he thought she ‘fit’ the only super popular name on our list. He was just insistant and I was too tired to fight. So we have an [name]Olyvia[/name] instead of an [name]Olivia[/name] (which he thought made it better) and I frequently ‘regreted’ spelling her name weird and naming her that period but then I look at my beautiful little girl and her name fits her! [name]Don[/name]'t worry about what people say! It’s a great name!

Couldn’t say it any better myself! [name]Love[/name] the nn [name]Wes[/name].

Thank you thank you thank you! You’ve given me peace - I’m keeping it. :slight_smile:

oh, i’m so glad i’m not alone!! we had such a hard time deciding on a name for our little boy, and after lack of positive response, someone asking if we made the name up (we didn’t- it was popular 100 years ago!!), and my dad letting us know how much he disliked our choice, I was in tears and ready to change the name. I’m still having a hard time with it ‘sticking’, but my husband is pretty insistant about keeping it. It’s such a big decision, and as much as people tell you to pick something that you love and not worry what others think, that’s hard to do.

I really like [name]Weston[/name]/[name]Wes[/name] for what it’s worth… and i’ve never heard of the hotel!