Have we backed ourselves into a corner?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there!

My husband and I have one darling daughter, but I feel like we've back ourselves into a name corner with her name. Her name is [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]. I love what [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] symbolizes (faithfulness, loyalty, fidelity), that it is a flower/botanical name, and that it is a vintage and girly-sounding name. So here's my question... are there other girl names out there that fit the same criteria as [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]? 

*vintage name
*feminine (I don’t care for unisex names, I have one myself)
*flower/botanical name
*I’d love for the name to mean/symbolize something pretty awesome but that’s not a make or break thing

Names we love, but can’t use

*[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
*[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
*[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
*[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]

Thank you!!!

[name_f]Bryony[/name_f] (or [name_f]Briony[/name_f])
[name_f]Freesia[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessamine[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Camellia[/name_f]
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
Alyssum
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Hyacinth[/name_f]

[name_f]Calla[/name_f]
[name_f]Posey[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Aster[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Tulip[/name_f]
[name_f]Petal[/name_f]
[name_f]Petunia[/name_f]
[name_f]Briar[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Fern[/name_f], [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] and [name_f]Willow[/name_f] best with [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]! And [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] from PP’s suggestions

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] was on my list when I was pregnant with [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]. My husband said no because we live in Oregon (Oregon produces 99% of the U.S.'s hazelnut crop, so they are kind of a big deal here). I still love it though!

I also like [name_f]Posey[/name_f], [name_f]Fern[/name_f], and Zinnea! They just seem a lot more modern and trendy to me.

My first thought was [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Olive[/name_f] would go well with [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]. They both have a “v” but they sound different enough to where that isn’t a problem. The olive branch is a beautiful symbol of peace.

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Olive[/name_f] sound like adorable sisters! I know some people don’t like the name [name_f]Olive[/name_f], but I personally think it’s lovely.

I also like [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] and [name_u]Sage[/name_u].

[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]- Symbolises elegance and dignity, forever thine
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]- Fascination
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]- [name_f]Chastity[/name_f], [name_f]Eternity[/name_f]
[name_f]Holly[/name_f]- Defense, Domestic Happiness
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]- [name_f]Wisdom[/name_f] and [name_m]Valor[/name_m], [name_f]Faith[/name_f], [name_f]Promise[/name_f] in love, [name_f]Hope[/name_f], symbol of power and majesty
[name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]- [name_u]Love[/name_u], Attachment, Elegance, [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Modesty[/name_f], Sensuality
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]- [name_f]Purity[/name_f] of heart, [name_u]Majesty[/name_u] and [name_f]Honor[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]- [name_f]Glory[/name_f], signifying success and peace
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]- Perseverance, Nobility
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]- [name_u]Peace[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]- Great respect, [name_f]Wisdom[/name_f], Female fidelity
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]- remembrance

I think all of the above have great meanings and sounds lovely with [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] but my favourites are probably:

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] ([name_f]Nola[/name_f])
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f]

I hope this was helpful, I love flower names!

I absolutely love [name_f]Olive[/name_f]! Gorgeous!!! A beautiful name for a beautiful girl.
The olive tree is just beautiful and I love the meaning behind it…the [name_f]Olive[/name_f] tree is a symbol of peace, success, and abundance…grow and flourish in rocky soils where other plants cannot and I love the vintage, spunky, nature vibe to the name. It’s so charming. I think it’s a name that is so sweet for a child and beautiful for an adult.
I think it is a perfect name to match with [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]!

I think [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] sound lovely together.

Or maybe…
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Petal[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Calla[/name_f] - I especially love this for you

(Sorry for any repeats)

Good luck!!

You haven’t backed yourselves into a corner as one name doesn’t form a pattern so you should feel free to choose from any number of names.

You don’t have to choose another botanical name if you don’t want to. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you had five daughters with botanical names, you would not have to choose a botanical name for your sixth.

I agree, one name doesn’t form a pattern. Your next choice starts to. You can do botanical or vintage or short&sweet or vowel-lead or nature name that has transcended its nature tie. I love [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_u]June[/name_u] and [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Tess[/name_f] and [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] and [name_f]Mae[/name_f] for you.

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and…

[name_f]Calla[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]

The first name I thought of was [name_u]Arden[/name_u], I think it would go perfectly. It maybe considered unisex possibly… although I’ve never met a male [name_u]Arden[/name_u].

[name_u]Sage[/name_u] is another great choice, botanical but not too matchy with [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] ([name_f]Fern[/name_f] feels way too similar to me). This is even more unisex though, but it’s such a great name!

I agree with pp that with only one child, you aren’t really locked into continuing any sort of theme. But if you like the idea of continuing with a vintage floral name theme, my favorite suggestion with [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is [name_f]Flora[/name_f].

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] & [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] & [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] & [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] & [name_u]Paris[/name_u]

I would suggest [name_f]Florie[/name_f]/[name_f]Flore[/name_f] or [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. I love those, but have decided against it because of my bad news cousin named [name_f]Floria[/name_f].

Some that haven’t been suggested yet;
[name_f]Cassia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f]
[name_f]Eira[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessamy[/name_f]

I don’t think you’ve backed yourself into a corner at all! I do like [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Olive[/name_f], but I have seem them together as a sibset more than once. I think your chances are still pretty low of meeting two other sisters with the names though.

I like [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Eira[/name_f] together. [name_f]Eira[/name_f] is a nature name like [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], but not botanical to avoid a pattern.

I know sisters called [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] & [name_f]Olive[/name_f]. They just had another sister born today actually! ‘[name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]’ … [name_m]Just[/name_m] proves you can go with whatever style you like.

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] & [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] :slight_smile: