Have you changed your name or considered it?

I’m looking for adults who’ve changed their name or are considering changing it to talk to about a new business I’m starting called [name_m]Clemens[/name_m] & [name_m]Twain[/name_m] – https://clemensandtwain.com – designed to help people choose new names for themselves. I’d like to find out what’s driving your decision and what kind of factors you’re thinking about. If you’d like to share your experience, please email me at pamela@clemensandtwain.com Thanks!

I have considered changing my last name. I hate how it sounds with my last name and I have some family that I want to distance from. It also just doesn’t feel like me. My dad (whose last name it is) doesn’t care but my mum HATES the idea so that’s what’s holding me back

I’ve thought about it, but never seriously enough to actually change it. I feel like my name is childish and soft. And I’m an old soul and incredibly sarcastic, so it feels very lightweight to me. [name_m]Even[/name_m] then, I’ve gone by my initials, which seems to help.

I’ve also expressed a desire to return to my maiden name (I’m married and don’t plan on ever getting divorced), or maybe hyphenating my name. But I like for our whole family to share our last name, so that keeps me from changing it back.

I’m sure I am no help whatsoever, but thought I’d chime in anyway!

My husband and I both changed our last name when we married. We chose my husband’s paternal grandmother’s maiden name.

I posted this story a few months ago (and he ended up winning the election!).

I have the same first name I was born with, but I changed my middle and last names at age 29. I don’t really have a relationship with my biological father or his family, so having his last name didn’t make sense; I changed it to my mother’s maiden and used the opportunity to change my middle to a name I liked better, too.

I had thought of changing my first name a couple years ago bc my name is very common among Vietnamese females. And living in the US, I didn’t feel unique at all bc other [name_f]Asian[/name_f] females have names like [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]. But I learned to embrace my name (everyone is getting a generic, popular US name now!) and ultimately didn’t change it. I also married an Ashkanazi Jew/British man so he and his family loves my name.
I did remove my middle name though. It came from my father’s family and I don’t associate with him anymore.

I’m thinking about changing both my first and last name. At first, I was just focused on my first name but now, I’ve started contemplating what if I changed my last name. It doesn’t sound right with my potential new name. I’m Ghanaian, so if I change it will seem like I hate myself and being African…my parents will definitely disapprove with my wants.

I changed my forename in 1981 because I didn’t like it. I renamed myself after my favourite female musician.

My legal name is [name_f]Karen[/name_f] (hate it too common plus personal reason to dislike) I changed it to [name_f]Carin[/name_f] (personal preference)

I would love to be called [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f] but it is too expensive to make it legal.

I have seriously considered changing my first name for a while. It’s common and and very feminine since it’s directly associated with a well-known goddess. I identify a lot more androgynous (genderqueer) and the sound of people calling me by such a feminine name really makes me uncomfortable since I know that means they perceive me as f*male. I would like to change it some day, but if I did I’d be both scared of my parents’ and society’s reaction. I also have a hard time finding a gender-neutral name that works with my last name (which I love) and in my language. Right now I go by [name_m]Frey[/name_m] among friends and strangers but that just sounds like an english nickname of my real name and if I used that people might still use my deadname and I don’t want that.

I consider it all the time, but my problem is that I can’t decide what to change it to. One day I want something more feminine, the next I want neutral. One day I want Name A and the next I want Name Z.
So I’m stuck with my not-so-great name until I grow a spine and some decision making skills.

I have changed my name and plan on having it legally changed someday soon. As I’m a trans man, it was necessary. The name’s [name_m]Cole[/name_m] [name_m]Philip[/name_m] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] :slight_smile: