Have you ever changed your mind on a name because of an encounter?

The other day I encountered a very vile, hateful bully who just happens to use the same rare name I want to use. They were ganging up on someone and it made me so angry.

This is the first time I’ve met anyone with the name. I know the connection is still fresh in my mind and I hope it’ll wear off soon, but for now it’s souring me on the name.

Did this ever happen to any of you? What did you do? Did you use the name? Did you wait till you got over it?

Thanks

2 Likes

This happened to me!! Not as serious, but a similar story.

We were going to use the name [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] for our baby boy (we didn’t announce the name to anyone), but about a week before he was born an acquaintance named her baby girl [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]! It really threw me off and I panicked, thinking [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] was going to blow up in popularity as a girls name.

We ended up not using the name! It was a blessing in disguise, because his initials would have been “eww” which apparently my pregnancy brain prevented me from noticing. :flushed::woman_facepalming:t3: I would have regretted that for life! I still love the name [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] for a boy, so it didn’t ruin the name for me. I did have a bit of name regret initially because we felt we had to chose our sons name so quickly, and I felt a lot of pressure from the hospital staff about it. Wish I would have taken more time to think about! I do love his name now though! Sorry that turned into a long story :slight_smile:

So sorry about your situation! What a huge bummer! :broken_heart:

2 Likes

I liked the idea of Julian and possibility of nn Jules (Jules Verne brings a cool literary reference), but then someone my parents know came out with some pretty horrid opinions and now have kind of spoiled the idea of Jules for me :frowning:

I feel like it could pass if my dad no longer spoke to/about that person

1 Like

Adriana… I really liked it for years til someone close to me started working with an [name_f]Adriana[/name_f] who turned out to be a financial criminal. :grimacing:

I know people on here really like [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] and in another life I might like it too, but I had an awful coworker with this name. I still can’t bring myself to move past that bad association.

Loved the name [name_f]Melody[/name_f] until I learned it’s the name of one of my partners Ex’s :sob::sob: was really disappointing

1 Like

There was a family in my old town that was super mean, and only 3 of the names remain untainted for me, which is sad, because the ones that have super bad connotations for me are Isla/Ila, [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], and [name_u]Lane[/name_u]. I hate the names because of the people, and it kind of pains me whenever people love on them on here (for a bit of context, the two boys in the family did some really nasty things to my brothers)

I absolutely adored the name [name_f]Diana[/name_f] up until two years ago. I had a supervisor named [name_f]Diana[/name_f] who very nearly made me drop out of grad school. I survived grad school, but my love for the name [name_f]Diana[/name_f] did not. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Sometimes this has happened to me, but it hasn’t completely changed my mind. I’ve met not very nice people with some of the names I like but I still like those names, they didn’t completely turn me off them.

I could never like the name [name_u]Holly[/name_u] though, because of a person i know called that and some really horrible things they did.

I am one of those people who wont use a name that I associate with someone or something bad, within reason of course

I was always really sweet on [name_f]Tasha[/name_f] until I worked with a [name_f]Natasha[/name_f] (but spelled differently) who was just…awful to me and some other colleagues. And now I think it’s off limits for me. I still love it for other people who don’t have that same association though.

yes, I used to love the name [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], but then I watched supernatural and there is a terrible character named [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], I hate her guts and I can never think of the name [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] the same way again. I know this probably isn’t the same, but it makes me mad that the show ruined one of my favorite names.

1 Like

I’m in two minds about [name_f]Verity[/name_f] - it’s the name of a girl I went to school with who was absolutely gorgeous in every way, but also the name of my first boss who was terrifying. In a more positive direction, I hated [name_u]Dean[/name_u] until I met a lovely one!

I loved the name [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] from the time I read The Giver (middle school) to this very day. I dreamt about naming my first son [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]. Then at church about a year before TTC, I met a little boy named [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]. He wasn’t mean or anything, but he just cried all the time. He would cry for an hour straight. I never saw him when he wasn’t crying. It deflated the name a bit for me. A year later, we got pregnant with our son.

His name is NOT [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], but I love his name even more.

Oh dear! I’m [name_f]Diana[/name_f] and I can assure you I am very nice!

1 Like

[name_f]Amaya[/name_f] is a name I really liked, and it was high on my list when I was pregnant with my second. But then I remembered I knew an [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] (pronounced phonetically, I preferred ah-MY-uh) and I didn’t like her mum so it put me off :smiling_face_with_tear:

I used to like [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f], but then I met my ex’s sister-in-law. She was a lazy, opinionated person (not in a good way), so now I can’t stand the name.

This has happened in reverse to me with many a name, three I can think of easily!

One is [name_f]Natasha[/name_f]. I knew a [name_f]Natasha[/name_f] in middle school I just did not like at all. And then came Covid, a decade plus later, giving me time to watch ever MCU installment and enjoy [name_f]Natasha[/name_f], thanks to the fiery Miss Romanoff.

Two and three are [name_f]Marcella[/name_f] and [name_u]Edward[/name_u]. They were ones I thought were icky and meh, but… they are my dad’s and grandma’s Confirmation names. Over the years, my appreciation for them has only grown, and this detail helps a ton.