Have you ever experienced the IT moment?

My mom once told me that when she was choosing my name she had honestly no idea what she was doing. She was quickly overwhelmed with suggestions of [name]Brittany[/name], [name]Jessica[/name], [name]Allison[/name], and [name]Hailey[/name], none of which my mom liked. Then, she was in a store and she saw a woman with [name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] on her name tag and she immediately felt elation sweep over her, because that was THE name, it was the IT name.

I love hearing that story, because it just makes me feel like naming is more than just a required process, it’s an actual fun activity that can bring so much happiness to some once they’ve found THE name.

So with that I ask, have you ever experienced the IT moment, where you automatically knew that was the perfect name for your baby or future baby?

My best friend is [name]Christina[/name].

She was named [name]Stephanie[/name] for a full day while still in the hospital & than her mom got an annoying roommate who kept blasting the radio. The DJ was named [name]Christina[/name]…

She definitely had that IT moment & called the nurse to bring her the papers to change it without even talking to her husband!

Luckily it turned out well!

My journey to my daughter’s name was different. I had theIT moment when I dreamed of the name [name]Nina[/name] while pregnant. Told my brother in law (whose wife was also pregnant) and they used it before I had the chance! I wouldn’t use the name since our surname is the same & even the ages would be the same! My husband got obsessed with [name]Leonie[/name], a name I mentioned in passing, and we went for it. I felt uncertain but now I just couldn’t love another name more & [name]Nina[/name] seems so…pedestrian? Kind of shrill? [name]Little[/name] girlish?

I am a former dental office manager. Around 1990, we had an adult patient who went by the name “[name]Rebecca[/name].” My heart leapt, and I knew that was the name for my future daughter. I felt like I just had re-discovered an elegant long-lost classic that hadn’t crossed my mind in years. No one in my family had the name, and I had previously only known of a few "[name]Becky[/name]"s and one “[name]Becca[/name]” in school. The ancient Biblical origins of [name]Rebecca[/name] and it’s literary usage added to the appeal. So, I replaced my previous top choice girl name with [name]Rebecca[/name] for a future daughter. It was gratifying to finally use the name. (When I was expecting my daughter, I did consider using a [name]Mary[/name] variant to further honor my mother “[name]Mary[/name] [name]Jane[/name],” but stuck with [name]Rebecca[/name].)

From the time I was 7 I knew that my first daughter would be named [name]Elizabeth[/name] after my Grandma. When I was pregnant with my second daughter we didn’t have a name that we could agree on. My husband and I spent hours talking about names but our tastes are very different. Near the beginning of my pregnancy I had been reading a book about a girl named [name]Annabelle[/name]. From the first line of the book I knew it was THE name! My husband didn’t agree though and I resided to that fact that I wouldn’t get to use it. However I kept telling him “She is an [name]Annabelle[/name]” but he was defiant and said that he wouldn’t have a daughter named [name]Annabelle[/name]. When she was born as soon as he saw her he said “You’re right, she is an [name]Annabelle[/name]!” :slight_smile:

Yes, I had that with the middle name I picked out for my daughter [to me middle names are just as important as first names]. I spent what seemed like months racking my brain trying to find a middle name I liked that went with the first name I selected. [name]Ruth[/name] is not an easy name to find a good middle name for. Anyways when I was in the hospital after she was born and I was holding her saying her name out loud with various possible middle names to see what clicked, what fit… for some reason I said [name]Temperance[/name] which was not even on my list of possible names but it really seemed to flow well together and it suited her. So it was like [name]Ah[/name]-ha! That’s your name!

No, unfortunately! When I was pregnant there were two names I just loved but my husband was “eh” about (he was “eh” about everything, really.) When my daughter was born, neither of those names felt right, but a name from our list popped into mind. My husband and I talked about it and liked it but it still took a day or two to actually start calling her that, and to be sure about putting it on the birth certificate. She’s almost two now and I think it was the perfect name choice, but there was never a light bulb over the head moment!

A little over 2 years ago I was at work and my friend that worked with me got a text from her cousin saying they had their baby. Being the name nerd I am, I quickly asked what was her name. Her name was [name]Isla[/name] [name]Mae[/name]! I just instantly knew that I wanted to name my next little girl [name]Isla[/name]! When I got home, I feared telling my husband cause he really doesn’t like any name thats “out there.” But surprisingly he loved it. We were excited when we got pregnant and knew we already had our girl name picked out. Unfortunately we missed carried but 2 months later we were pregnant again, only to find out 16 weeks later we were having a boy. [name]One[/name] day we’ll have another little girl and she will be [name]Isla[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]!

I felt that way about both my girls names after we finally decided their names. This time I strongly feel [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Lorraine[/name] is THE name but the husband won’t discuss names until the gender ultrasound.

I love these stories! I just feel like that IT moment is magic! :slight_smile:

I actually had an IT moment when pregnant with my son. We already decided on a girls name, but were stressing over a boy’s name. My husband wanted something classic like [name]Matthew[/name], [name]Zachary[/name], [name]David[/name] or [name]Nicholas[/name]. Those were his only favorites and wouldn’t consider other names. While in church one [name]Sunday[/name], the Minister was talking about [name]King[/name] [name]David[/name] and his father [name]Jesse[/name]. He was speaking about the meaning of the [name]Jesse[/name] tree. At that moment we looked at each other and smiled :slight_smile: We knew that was the name! [name]Jesse[/name] is almost 4 now and looking forward to having a little brother or sister. Our little [name]Jesse[/name] is so amazing and has made us so proud of him!

I haven’t had an IT moment with first names just yet but with middle names I am set. I have 4 middle names, 2 for each gender picked out and all are extremely important to me.

[name]Reid[/name] - The name of a little boy who I wanted to adopt but wasn’t able to. He is the reason why I am going to adopt and why I am who I am today. He changed me for the better.

[name]Oisin[/name] - It means “little deer”. When I thought all hope was lost and that I would never have a child, I got a sign in the form of a deer. To not lose hope just yet.

[name]Amelia[/name] - The name of a friend who literally saved me and without her my children wouldn’t be here.

[name]Iris[/name] - It means “rainbow”. I’ve heard the saying of “after a hurricane/or storm comes a rainbow” to me that means after all the heart ache and fear, my child will be my rainbow.

With plenty of names, yes, lol. But I have my top four already picked out.