Have you ever loved a name and then realized you were pronouncing it wrong?

[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] (and [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]) vary regionally in pronunciation.

In [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u], you usually get the “a” sound like in “say” for Eye-zay-uh. And you get Eye-zick.

In the Commonwealth minus Canada, you tend to get the “I” sound in Eye-z-eye-uh. And you get Eye-zack.

3 Likes

but… but it is?? in the languages that i know?? oh my god how’s that pronounced in english then

Celeste in [name_f]English[/name_f] is suh-LEST!

I read [name_f]Isla[/name_f] as a kid and thought it was EES-lah- I don’t know when I learned the correct pronunciation.

2 Likes

Ugh YES!

I loved [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] when I thought it was pronounced as just [name_u]Bo[/name_u] with a “z” at the end. Now that I know it is two syllables and pronounced [name_u]Bo[/name_u]-az, it has lost its charm for me.

1 Like

Too. Many.

Imogen- ih-moh-gehn
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]- lynn-ee-ah
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]- seh-leh-stee
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]- tha-lee-ah

3 Likes

Tal-you-luh is a new pronunciation to me (not a fan).

I’ve read a book series with leading character [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] pronounced [name_m]Tah[/name_m]-loo-lah and also seen a tv show with side character pronounced the same way. I had no idea it could be pronounced differently. I definitely prefer the one I know!

Also it’s too funny that you bring up [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. There’s a funny show called Another Period in which a character has to correct others on the pronounciation of her name. She says “its peen-alope, like a cross between penis and cantaloupe” and I can’t unhear it! Good thing my friends with Penelopes call them P and [name_u]Penny[/name_u] :sweat_smile:

That’s interesting, I’ve never seen the name Meraki before - your initial guess at its pronounciation reminds me of [name_m]Malachi[/name_m]!

Decima was one of my favorite names for about six years, but I never knew it was DESS-ih-ma or deh-SEE-ma.

Turns out that it’s neither. It’s DECK-ee-ma, with a hard C sound.

I still think that the spelling is quite pretty, but it’s kinda ruined for me know that I know it’s pronounced differently than I’d thought for so long.

In [name_f]English[/name_f], [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] is pronounced ce-lest. I used to have a friend who used the Spanish pronunciation (ce-les-tee) though.

1 Like

Yes! I was so in love with [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], pronounced EL-lo-wen. However, now that I know it should traditionally be el-LO-wen, I just don’t think I can do it.

I know most Americans would pronounce it with emphasis on “el”, but I don’t want to remove the original pronunciation. If I insisted on the Cornish pronunciation, then she would be stuck constantly correcting her name to emphasis on “lo”.

2 Likes

[name_f]Calliope[/name_f] I thought it was pronounced
[name_u]Cal[/name_u]-e-oh-p but it’s pronounced [name_u]Cal[/name_u]-eye-uh-pee

I also used to think Remy was pronounced Ree-mee which I really liked but it’s pronounced Reh-mee

1 Like

One of my first name loves was [name_m]Colm[/name_m], but I thought it was pronounced COAL-m, one syllable. I still love the way the name looks but it just sounds like column to me :sob:

I thought [name_f]Adelais[/name_f] was ADD-uh-lace. I’m still a little fuzzy on the actual pronunciation, I’ve seen people say ADD-uh-lay or ADD-uh-lie-ees. I don’t mind add-uh-lay.

I also thought [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] was cuh-SIGH-uh and am very disappointed that it’s not! Loved the flow of it as a middle with emphasis on the second syllable. CASS-ee-uh just doesn’t feel natural when I say it, and I’ve also caught myself slipping into cuh-SEE-uh recently.

I knew someone who thought it was phobe!

[quote=“[name_f]Pansy[/name_f], post:27, topic:350404, full:true”]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]. I thought it was leer-ah and really liked it. Then I found out it was lie-rah and was “meh” about the name.
[/quote]
Me too! Though I think in [name_u]Rogue[/name_u] One/one of the [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars movies, they say LEER-uh, so I re-added the name to my list haha.

1 Like

Elowen, thought it was [name_f]El[/name_f]-lo-when but it’s el-[name_f]Lo[/name_f]-wen, which is indistinguishable in my accent so I’m probably constantly mispronouncing it?? So yeah, no more [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] for me.

Thierry, is tie-ree, I thought it was Thee-air-ee and really liked it. I don’t mind how it’s actually pronounced but I every time I read it I pronounce it wrong!

I found [name_f]Elek[/name_f] in the girl’s section of a baby name book and found it so interesting and industrial, I thought it was pronounced Eee-leck and would be a viable nickname for [name_f]Elektra[/name_f]. No, it’s el-ek and usually used for boys.

I’m still not sure if I’m pronouncing [name_u]Basil[/name_u] wrong. I love the American pronunciation, baay-zuhl, but I can’t stand bah-zul. (If anyone knows please tell me!)

2 Likes

I thought [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] was ch-low :joy:

Another one I thought of:
When I first saw the name [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f], I thought it was pronounced [name_m]Say[/name_m]-eer-ss.

Wait… how do you pronounce [name_f]Isla[/name_f]? I do eye-la, as do a lot of other Americans.

1 Like

Wait, [name_f]Elektra[/name_f] is pronounced EE-lek-tra? Shoot, I’ve been pronouncing it wrong.

Isla can be pronounced both ways.
Eye-la for [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking and Ees-la for Spanish-speaking I believe.

I think so?? It’s a softer “ee”. I could be wrong though–

1 Like