Having a gender preference...

Thank you all so much for these responses- I opened this thread with a knot in my stomach, thinking people would find me horribly shallow, but I am so relieved that this is normal!

My partner is so happy with either gender that I’ve felt isolated with this…

We didn’t find out the gender because I didn’t with my other kids, and loved the surprise. I wanted to have with my new partner (its his first baby) the same rush at the birth. Now of course I’m terrified that I won’t feel that in the same way.
There’s so much guilt associated with being a Mum anyway, but even a flicker of disappointment in connection with the first and most adored moments of this little person’s life, I would really not be able to take!

[name]Read[/name] through all your stories with so much gratitude to you all for sharing them- I really had no idea these feelings were so common!
Am going to talk to my other half about this tonight (haven’t been brave enough to so far)

Thanks to everyone

I’m so glad to hear that this thread helped you, and has given you the courage to talk to your partner.

I actually decided that I wanted to talk to my hubby about it yesterday and he was really supportive. He knows that I would never wish not to have had [name]Veda[/name], but understands that I really want to have a boy.

Good luck with everything!

I understand. I would like a boy and a girl one day. But I know that if and when I get pregnant I want a girl (My mom passed away less than a year ago) and we had a great mother-daughter relationship and I worry that I won’t get that. But I know that if I get a boy I can have just as wonderful relationship with him. I think whatever you get is what you were supposed to have. I don’t know what to tell you because no matter how much I want a girl (I don’t tell people that, btw) and how much you want a boy this time; whatever happens, happens. And that is just life. Good luck to you and I know the little boy or girl will be just a doll! :-).

I only want 2 children when I eventually have them. I really really want one of each. Not particularly bothered in what order but I think a tiny,really tiny part of me would be disappointed if I had 2 boys or 2 girls. But only briefly. I think it’s a natural thing to have a preference. As long as it doesn’t effect how your relationship with the child,I don’t think it’s a problem.