Having a girl, due in December

[name]Hi[/name] everyone. Some of you have very graciously offered your opinions on one possible name for my daughter ([name]Georgia[/name]).

Since we talked, I’m kind of second-guessing that choice, since it doesn’t have a lot of meaning for me.

Can anyone fill me in on possible significance for the name [name]Georgia[/name]?

Here are some more names I’m considering. What do you think makes them good or meaningful? (Or, if you hate any, what makes them undesirable?)

1st tier - faves
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Corinne[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] (nn [name]Maisie[/name])

2nd tier - also love these
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Margo/name

Thanks!

I like [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Miriam[/name]. [name]Cora[/name]'s meaning is often related to the heart, which I think is nice. In addition, [name]Cora[/name] is such a classic old fashioned name. [name]Miriam[/name] is so pretty, and I like it for biblical reasons. Its the prettiest variation of [name]Mary[/name] and is [name]Moses[/name]'s sister in the old testament.

1st tier - favs
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Corinne[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] (nn [name]Maisie[/name])

[name]CORA[/name]: unique, i would balance it with a longer middle name depending on last name…
[name]CORINNE[/name]: eh, unusual? the more I say it aloud, the better it sounds…undecided on it…
[name]MARGARET[/name]: sturdy name baby can use as an adult. i would nickname her [name]Maggie[/name] because my family has a beagle named [name]Maisie[/name]… but its your choice…

[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Margo/name

[name]MIRIAM[/name]: Biblical, most common NN is [name]Mary[/name]…sounds a little old for baby/child…
[name]IVY[/name]: Earthy, precious…[name]Love[/name] it
[name]CLOVER[/name]: not really into the name because when you look at the name, it seems unisex
[name]MARGO/name: I have a cousin named [name]Margot[/name] (pro. [name]Margo[/name]) and I was always envious of her for it…LOL

I also thought these could help:

[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Braelyn[/name]
[name]Carina[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Kadence[/name]
[name]Lacie[/name]/(y)
[name]Lorna[/name]
[name]Meghan[/name]
[name]Nadine[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Raegan[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Sarai[/name]/(h)
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Winter[/name]

[name]Georgia[/name] the state was named after [name]George[/name] II. There’s a lot more history than that, but its namesake is actually a man named [name]George[/name]. To me, it’s probably the most “romantic” sounding Southern state, peaches, [name]Atlanta[/name], [name]Savannah[/name]. [name]George[/name] means “farmer.” I don’t think other than “[name]Carolina[/name]” a state name really has a much more romantic cultural presence, and that’s only because [name]Carolina[/name] is so fun to say (I-na or EE-na). Moonlight in [name]Vermont[/name]. That’s romantic; [name]Georgia[/name] on my Mind, 1000x more romantic. I’ve been there once, but we were driving to [name]Florida[/name] mumblety years ago. We might have gotten out at a restaurant or rest stop on the highway. So yeah, not too much personal significance for me, but it definitely has an appeal, mystique, charm, whatever you want to call it. I don’t know any people named [name]Georgia[/name], but I do know a couple [name]Georges[/name], of whom I would probably decline to use the name, unfortunately for me, but fortunately, you do not know the same [name]George[/name] I do.

I also like [name]Corinne[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] from your list. Not so hot on [name]Ivy[/name] or [name]Cora[/name] as others seem to be. [name]Miriam[/name] and [name]Margot[/name] are ok too. If you are having 2nd thoughts on [name]Georgia[/name], I don’t know what you see about [name]Clover[/name]. It is more unusual, if that’s what you want, not that I think [name]Georgia[/name] is that common. I think [name]Georgia[/name] seems to have more prospects in the future than [name]Clover[/name], which seems like a fad, frankly. We have dusted off as many potential floral candidates from the past as possible, so this name is really a stretch to me, and probably signals near the end of the line for names after flowers. [name]Even[/name] [name]Heather[/name] is better, [name]IMO[/name]. We will have to come back around again to names of some dignity; [name]Rose[/name] is a really popular name for a reason that Thistle and Dandelion are not.

I love the name [name]Georgia[/name] because

1. It sounds great with my last name - [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Chesney[/name]. A lot of names sound bad with my last name. Does [name]Georgia[/name] sound good with your last name?
  2. The two “r” sounds in [name]Georgia[/name] make it a power name. Plus it ends in an “a” rather than an “ie” or a “y”.
  3. It is not trendy - yet. Hopefully it will stay that way.
  4. I love the song “Hey, there, [name]Georgie[/name] Girl”. Now you know that I’m middle-aged.

A name that is similar to [name]Georgia[/name] is [name]Celia[/name]. [name]Celia[/name] can stand on its own or be a nn for [name]Cecilia[/name] or [name]Cecily[/name]. Also [name]Daria[/name] is good. But the two “g’s” and two “r’s” in [name]Georgia[/name] are really special. I also love [name]Ginger[/name]. Similar letters. Spicy.

Wow, thanks for your thoughts. You’ve given me a lot to think about.

[name]Clover[/name] - This was really just a whim, and my bestest naming friends in real life are not in favor, so that’s a big strike against it. In reality I don’t think this will fly.

[name]Susan[/name], I also love [name]Daria[/name], [name]Ginger[/name], and [name]Celia[/name]. I’m just curious though … where is the 2nd “r” in [name]Georgia[/name]? Are you British?

Thanks, you guys are really making me think, which is just what I wanted! :slight_smile:

p.s. My last name is Seibert (sounds like “cyber” with a “t” on the end). So I think any of those names is okay with it. Lemme know if you disagree…

[name]Susan[/name], I also love [name]Daria[/name], [name]Ginger[/name], and [name]Celia[/name]. I’m just curious though … where is the 2nd “r” in [name]Georgia[/name]? Are you British?

Georgiar! Where is my mind? I made a mistake! But there are two “g’s”. I can see that…Sorry!

Oohhh- I love [name]Maisie[/name]!!! [name]LOVE[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] IT!!!

1st tier - faves
[name]Cora[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Cora[/name], [name]Phaedra[/name]! [name]LOVE[/name] it! (I love [name]Cordelia[/name], too.) I think [name]Cora[/name] feels so sweet and feminine, yet elegant at the same time. :slight_smile:

[name]Corinne[/name]: I love [name]Corinne[/name], too! I’ve heard it pronounced as both cor-RINN and cor-REEN, so if you’re deciding between [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Corinne[/name], that may be something to consider. (I pronounce it cor-RINN.) I think it’s so pretty!

[name]Margaret[/name] (nn [name]Maisie[/name]): I really like [name]Margaret[/name], too, and think [name]Maisie[/name] is darling! :slight_smile:

[name]Miriam[/name]: I love [name]Miriam[/name], and think [name]Miri[/name] is a sweet nickname.

[name]Ivy[/name]: [name]Ivy[/name] has been growing on me lately! (No pun intended…) :slight_smile: I’m liking it more and more each time I hear it. I think [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] is really pretty.

[name]Clover[/name]: I’m liking [name]Clover[/name] more and more, too! I think it’s spunky!

[name]Margo/name: I really like [name]Margot[/name], as well.

[name]Do[/name] some of these names go better with your last name than others? I think they’re all gorgeous! If I could only pick one, I’d pick [name]Cora[/name], but [name]Ivy[/name] and the rest wouldn’t be far behind.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Margaret[/name] is my fav I know a very cute [name]Maggie[/name], also my [name]Nan[/name] is [name]Margaret[/name] and my [name]Mil[/name] also like [name]Meg[/name] as a nickname

I do like [name]Maggie[/name] and [name]Meg[/name] too!

[name]Corinne[/name], I pronounced it “co-RINN”. I think it’s pretty too.

My last name sounds like “cyber” so I think any of these will work.

Now I’m thinking of adding [name]Evangeline[/name] (nn [name]Eva[/name]) to the mix too. lol. I’m doing the opposite of narrowing it down. Yikes. Hormones.

I’m not Southern, nor have I ever been to [name]Georgia[/name], yet the first thing I think of when I hear this name is the state. It just doesn’t appeal to me.

I love these ideas of yours: [name]Corinne[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Margot[/name], [name]Miriam[/name]! They are sweet, classy, underused, and sophisticated.

[name]Cora[/name] is a bit boring. [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Clover[/name] remind me more of cow or pet names than people names.

I love [name]Georgia[/name]. I’m from the [name]Atlanta[/name] area, and although I’m currently not residing there, [name]Georgia[/name] just says home to me. When/if I have a daugther, I would seriously consider using [name]Georgia[/name] as a middle to give recognition to the place I will always call home. It’s very comforting to me :slight_smile:

As for your other names, I adore [name]Cora[/name], [name]Maisie[/name], and [name]Ivy[/name]. So cute!

Thanks everyone!

We’ve finally agreed!

My daughter will be named [name]Cora[/name] [name]Jeanne[/name].

[name]Cora[/name] - Because it’s a nickname for [name]Persephone[/name], who is my favorite mythological figure. I love the myth, but could never name a daughter [name]Persephone[/name]. [name]Cora[/name] is pretty, so it’s the next best thing.

[name]Jeanne[/name] - My beloved grandmother’s name. There is no lady in the world like my grandmother [name]Jeanne[/name]. I think this will be a fitting tribute.

And btw, she will just go by [name]Cora[/name].

Thanks for all your advice! If you don’t like the name, that’s cool, no hard feelings! I appreciate everyone’s input. :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Cora[/name] [name]Jeanne[/name]. [name]Cora[/name] is a name I would choose myself. But since my daughter’s name is [name]Laura[/name], she could never have a sister named [name]Cora[/name]. I love many names that rhyme with [name]Laura[/name] and [name]Cora[/name]. [name]Jeanne[/name] is great! It is wonderful to name a baby after a beloved grandparent. I think even the baby enjoys the honor as he or she grows up. [name]Love[/name] the “ne” at the end of [name]Jean[/name]. So vintage!

My name is [name]Corine[/name] ([name]Cor[/name]-een), and I’ve always loved the [name]Corinne[/name] version, though not as much as [name]Corine[/name] ;). What about [name]Corinne[/name] nicknamed [name]Cora[/name]?

Also love [name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Maisie[/name]. Whatever you choose, it’ll be great!