Having a lot of trouble with unique boy names, can't ask family

Our daughter basically has a made-up name (not weird or anything, but she is named after my Grandfather’s nickname). I want an unusual name for our son, but I’m having trouble finding something that’s not too “out there.”

I can’t tell anything to our families, they are SO judgemental and we realized when naming our daughter it will be best to just tell them the name after it’s on the birth certificate!

So, here are the names. The last name will be [name]Bower[/name]. ANY feedback/opinions/etc would be greatly appreciated!

[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]Page[/name]
[name]Errol[/name]
[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name]

[name]Vaughn[/name], [name]Edmund[/name],and [name]Desmond[/name] are not unusual to me, so I don’t think those names would fit your requirement. [name]Page[/name] and [name]Brooks[/name] sounds too girly to me and [name]Errol[/name] just doesn’t sound good with the last name, [name]IMO[/name].
Here are some names I think are unusual but not out there:
[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Mateo[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name] (reminds me of [name]Desmond[/name] but more interesting)
[name]Maverick[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Milton[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Brock[/name] (since you like [name]Brooks[/name], and this one is cooler and way more masculine)
[name]Roscoe[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Orson[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] these help!

[name]How[/name] about a round of “if you like”, replacing the first name with a more unusual one?

If you like [name]Vaughn[/name] you might love [name]Vale[/name] OR [name]Evander[/name]
If you like [name]Page[/name] you might love [name]Padget[/name]
If you like [name]Errol[/name] you might love Tercel
If you like [name]Edmund[/name] you might love [name]Crispin[/name]
If you like [name]Desmond[/name] you might love [name]Ambrose[/name]
If you like [name]Brooks[/name] you might love [name]Booker[/name]

I love [name]Vaughn[/name] and [name]Brooks[/name], but they don’t feek ovely unique.

[name]Vaughn[/name] [name]Bower[/name] sounds great though.

I like [name]Vaughn[/name], [name]Errol[/name], and [name]Brooks[/name]. Also like pp’s suggestion of [name]Booker[/name], [name]Silas[/name], [name]Evander[/name], and [name]Donovan[/name].

I do not like [name]Page[/name] or [name]Vaughn[/name], sorry. [name]Page[/name] sounds too fem. and I just don’t like [name]Vaughn[/name], but I do like the suggestions of [name]Vale[/name] and [name]Evander[/name]. Besides that, [name]Vaughn[/name] doesn’t sound all that unique, and let’s face it, even though I love it, neither does [name]Edmund[/name]. I do like [name]Brooks[/name] and [name]Errol[/name]. [name]Desmond[/name] is okay, though not outstanding- I like the suggestion of [name]Donovan[/name] better.

I think that [name]Vaughn[/name] [name]Bower[/name] sounds like a pretty swell name, but without knowing you daughter’s name it’s hard to tell if that will be as unique as you really want. I’ve only ever met one person named [name]Vaughn[/name], but before then I had never heard of it!

I like all of your names, [name]Errol[/name] is the most unique. I know an adorable boy named [name]Brooks[/name] and I love the sound of [name]Brooks[/name] [name]Bower[/name]. [name]Vaughn[/name] [name]Bower[/name] is nice too.

[name]Booker[/name] [name]Bower[/name] sounds terrible

I love, love, love [name]Edmund[/name]! It has been my favourite boy name since I was 8 years old. It gives me butterflies every time I hear it <3
I think Brooks is great, too, but I have to saythat as far as uniqueness goes, Errol would be the most unique of your list, in my opinion.
I don’t care for Vaughn or Desmond, but I think Page is really handsome for a boy (ooh, maybe this is the most uncommon… hang on, I’m going to check the stats. Ok, Page has less than 5 uses for 2010 on a boy, and Errol has 33).

Thanks for all the feedback, this really helps just to bounce names off people that won’t tear them apart :slight_smile:

I love a lot of the suggestions - [name]Booker[/name] was one of my favs but when I told my daughter she said it sounds like Booger and now that’s all I can think of! Also doesn’t sound great with [name]Bower[/name].

[name]Edmund[/name] is my absolute favorite but I think my husband may veto it because, although he likes [name]Edmund[/name], he hates [name]Ed[/name] or [name]Eddie[/name] and his family is all about nicknames.

I’m thinking we’re down to [name]Brooks[/name] or [name]Vaughn[/name], or maybe [name]Errol[/name] although it is hard for me to picture a baby [name]Errol[/name], it sounds like such a man’s name.

I love [name]Edmund[/name]. I think [name]Edmund[/name] (and nn [name]Ed[/name]) [name]Bower[/name] sounds great! However, if it’s between Brooks, Errol, or Vaughn, I’d go with Vaughn. It’s a nice, strong name.

You could nn him Roly/[name]Rolly[/name], if that makes [name]Errol[/name] more usable.

I like [name]Brooks[/name]! It sounds good with your last name and I don’t find it effeminate at all, rather a bit of a cowboy swagger to it :slight_smile:

I like [name]Edmund[/name]. And for all I read the comments that it’s not unique, I can’t say I’ve ever met one in real life.

I’ve met probably 20 Vaughns though, and 20 more Vans to keep them company. No offense. And it may be our comparative circles we travel in.

[name]Errol[/name] [name]Flynn[/name] was pretty scummy, which unfortunately is all I can think of in regards to [name]Errol[/name].

[name]Love[/name] [name]Edmund[/name]… love, love, love. It’s a great, regal, solid, historical name. I think it was [name]Shakespeare[/name] who claimed it was the noblest name a man could have?

[name]Vaughn[/name] is great too, [name]IMO[/name]. [name]Edmund[/name] Vaugh as a fn/mn combo?

I like [name]Brooks[/name], but it has a distinct cowboy/western feel to it for me, and I’d likely only go that route if that was what I wanted to convey.

Not a fan of [name]Page[/name] as it is too similar to [name]Paige[/name]. [name]Errol[/name] … sorry just not a fan. [name]Desmond[/name] is okay, but I prefer [name]Edmund[/name].

ETA: I read your update and it looks like [name]Edmund[/name] may be out! If that’s the case, I vote [name]Brooks[/name] or [name]Vaughn[/name], with a slight edge to [name]Vaughn[/name] as I think it sounds great with your ln.

[name]Vaughn[/name] gets my vote!

[name]Edmund[/name] [name]Bower[/name] sounds great as for nn you could possibly make up your own family nn (maybe based on personality or something) or maybe you could use [name]Teddy[/name]?

[name]Brooks[/name] [name]Bower[/name] is such a great name!!!

Hmmm, it just occured to me… is [name]Bower[/name] pronounced like [name]Bauer[/name]? or [name]Bow[/name] (as in the tying a ribbon into a “bow”) -er? Because [name]Edmund[/name] [name]Bower/name sounds like the brand name [name]Eddie[/name] [name]Bauer[/name]. [name]Just[/name] something to consider.