Having a very hard time agreeing on a boy's name.

I’m pregnant with our second child, gender is uncertain, and my husband and I are having an extremely difficult time picking a baby name for a boy. I’ve gone through countless names on the internet, asked for help from baby namers, forums, everything. Names we’ve gone through are:

[name]Benedict[/name] - was a solid choice, until we discovered the teasing that could come from the last syllable.
[name]Nolan[/name] - was meant for a middle to [name]Benedict[/name], too common for a first name.
[name]Lachlan[/name] - was our decision for a bit, doesn’t flow with the middle name we want now.
[name]Evander[/name] - was meant for a middle to [name]Lachlan[/name], don’t like it quite enough for a first name.
[name]Broderick[/name] - Too long with our long last name.
[name]Donovan[/name] - reminded husband of a brat in elementary school
[name]Malcolm[/name] - too mmm-y with the middle name and last name.

So, at this point, I’m quite frustrated. Last name starts with Mc, nine letters, 3 syllables. Husband really wants to use [name]Lemuel[/name] as a middle name, which was his grandfather’s name. I dislike [name]Lemuel[/name], but am making a compromise. Unfortunately, anything old fashioned paired with [name]Lemuel[/name] sounds like I’m naming a 90 year old man. Also, something shorter (7 letters or less) would be ideal.

Any ideas?

[name]How[/name] about shortening [name]Benedict[/name] to [name]Bennet[/name]?

He doesn’t like [name]Bennet[/name] either. :frowning: Says it sounds to yuppie. He does like [name]Ben[/name] as a nn, but [name]Bennet[/name], Beniot, Benison, all got vetoed by him. He likes [name]Benjamin[/name]… but I’m really trying to stay away from top 100.

[name]Benedict[/name] is a great name and I wouldn’t worry about the naughty nickname. By the time kids are “smart” enough to think of that one, they’ll probably be calling him [name]Ben[/name] anyway, which in my opinion you can’t go wrong with!

Hmmm… I think I would stay away from [name]Benedict[/name] now that you mention the teasing potential in the last syllable. (I am learning to write better now.)

Ideas

• [name]Lemuel[/name] Mc - -:

[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name] - so old man that it sounds like you know what you’re doing.
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Corbin[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Dougray[/name] - like the actor. [name]Dougray[/name] is French.
[name]Gareth[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Harvey[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Kenneth[/name] - an outhip the Hipsters name. I think it’s going to come back in style at least with the Hipsters in the next ten years.
[name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Maxfield[/name]
[name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Otis[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Ross[/name]
[name]Stellan[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name] nn [name]Toby[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]Zander[/name]

I’d say that a short first name would probably tend to emphasize the middle when they’re all said. I’d probably go for a slightly longer first name as well. The first one that comes to mind is [name]Alastair[/name]/[name]Alistair[/name]/[name]Alasdair[/name]/etc. With a Mc-name, really Scottish, so only if that’s your style. I get a distinctly British feel, at least, from the names so far. Or maybe a last-to-first-name; those tend to carry weight when you say them. Something without an L in it, for some reason I’m thinking T-endings - [name]Prescott[/name], [name]Corbett[/name], etc.

He doesn’t like [name]Bennet[/name] either. :frowning: Says it sounds to yuppie. He does like [name]Ben[/name] as a nn, but [name]Bennet[/name], Beniot, Benison, all got vetoed by him. He likes [name]Benjamin[/name]… but I’m really trying to stay away from top 100.[/quote]

What about [name]Bentley[/name] or [name]Benson[/name]? [name]Bentley[/name] [name]Lemuel[/name] Mc------ sounds cute, modern, and handsome!

I love [name]Jude[/name] [name]Lemuel[/name] and [name]Reed[/name] [name]Lemuel[/name]!

I think it’s really nice of you to agree to [name]Lemuel[/name], a name you don’t really love. I hope you’re able to find a first name that YOU love!
:slight_smile:

[name]Calvin[/name] [name]Lemuel[/name] Mc____
[name]Grant[/name] [name]Lemuel[/name] Mc_____
[name]Reuben[/name] [name]Lemuel[/name] Mc______ (for some reason, the ooo sounds don’t sound matchy to me here…Hmm…)
[name]Stewart[/name] [name]Lemuel[/name] Mc_____ (ditto…)
[name]Vincent[/name] [name]Lemuel[/name] Mc______
[name]Vaughn[/name] [name]Lemuel[/name] Mc______
[name]Winston[/name] [name]Lemuel[/name] Mc_____
[name]Zane[/name] [name]Lemuel[/name] Mc______

[name]Alden[/name] is a Colonial name like [name]Lemuel[/name]–but modern sounding-- that you may like…

Take care! :slight_smile:

[name]Alister[/name]!

If it helps at all, [name]Lemuel[/name] was the first name of Swift’s eponymous character from “[name]Gulliver[/name]'s Travels”.

Maybe a “G” first name - such as [name]Garett[/name], [name]Gordon[/name], [name]Graeme[/name] - with [name]Lemuel[/name] could yield the nickname [name]Gulliver[/name]?

Here are some more ideas.
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Brice[/name]/[name]Bryce[/name]
[name]Barrett[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Dermot[/name]
[name]Deacon[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name]/[name]Reece[/name]
I like the suggestion of [name]Corbin[/name] as well.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Blaine[/name] [name]Lemuel[/name]?
You could also go with just [name]Ben[/name], not [name]Benjamin[/name].