Having name regret, help?

I just had my second child, a baby girl. The first girl I picked a name that I had always loved. But when this one came I didn’t have a name picked and felt pressured to name her in the hospital. So we went with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], which had been on my top contenders list.
But I’m having some regret , and this may sound silly, but just now I’m realizing all the words that start with the prefix [name_f]Gen[/name_f]-, and it’s driving me crazy.
For instance, my husbands little brother is 5 and has trouble pronouncing words, and when he tried to pronounce [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] it sounded like the word “genital”, and now I hear that word every time I think of her name. :frowning:
[name_f]My[/name_f] mom said it’s my hormones but I really feel like her name is dampening my mood. Help nameberry, am I overreacting or do I have justification in worrying about her name and possible bullying due to her name?
Thanks in advance

1 Like

I don’t hear genital at all in the name [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]! It never would have crossed my mind! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have a solid choice picked out for of you were going to change it? I think I would keep it unless you have another name that you are 100% attached to.

5 Likes

Thank you for your input , my mom and sister are calling me silly and hormonal lol.

1 Like

Changing it seems like such a hassle, with having to carry around the old certificate with the previous name everywhere the amended certificate would be needed in order for it to be valid :confused: but thank you for your input.

1 Like

I think her name is beautiful. Elegant and sweet, it’s so ladylike. If you really don’t like it, I would suggest waiting a few weeks before changing it. I personally think it is beautiful.

6 Likes

Hmmm this is tricky. I can complete understand both sides of the coin hormones vs. pressure in the hospital.

I would say to some degree you’ll just have to get past the Prefix issue and see if there are any other heavy issues weighing on with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. I say that because Infeel to some degree EVERY name can get broken down to that extent and drive you endlessly mad.! If the prefix is really tripping you up at the moment try calling her/ having the 5 year old call her by a non-related nickname [name_f]Eve[/name_f] as opposed to [name_f]Gennie[/name_f] / [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. He’ll mature quickly and this “genital” thing can be something easily laughed at down the line.

Looking at your other top contenders is there one that your daughter seems to suit more? If no I’d leave it as hormones. Where it appears you already had a list somewhat going you can rest assured there was at least some thought into the name and it isn’t like you randomly pointed at a name in a book.

2 Likes

Thank you, I loved the name since I saw it but am having trouble relating it to the baby. Xo

I think [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is a really nice name and wouldn’t have thought of the negative association without it being mentioned. If you’re worried about your husband’s brother pronouncing it wrong then you could ask him to call her by a nickname until he gets a bit older.
: )

Nn ideas

Evie
[name_f]Gigi[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Gen[/name_f]
V
[name_f]Genny[/name_f]
[name_f]Neve[/name_f]
[name_f]Genna[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivi[/name_f]

If you really want to change her name and find one that suits her better then I say go for it.

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing as well that if I give it some time I may realize it isn’t as big of a pressing issue as it seems presently … then again I’ve heard of name regret lasting well into the preschool years, and that’s a long time to regret a name.
Thank you for your input!

I think the nickname [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] is cute. It’s a big name for a small person; I wonder if finding a nickname you enjoy will help bring the name down to size for you…?

1 Like

As a fellow mom with a new baby, I can relate in terms of needing to feel more confident about the name. There is so much pressure to get it right and then sensitivity around any potential associations.

On the name itself it’s beautiful, a great choice and I would have never associated it with that or other ‘[name_f]G3n[/name_f]’ words. So perfectly good to keep. [name_f]Hop3[/name_f] you can find your peace with it. Best of luck!

3 Likes

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to Nameberry, @Mommyoftwocuties :wave:

[name_m]Can[/name_m] I just start by saying that I LOVE the name [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]! Seriously love it – super classic, super sophisticated, not too common, loads of options for shortening (but not so long and complex that it needs shortening if you don’t want to). And never once have I thought of “genital” when reading or hearing the name. Hand on heart.

This is how I felt about my eldest daughter’s name. She’s named after a goddess, and it just seemed like such a BIG name for such a tiny little person. We have always adored her name and never considered changing it, but for the first 3-6 months of her life she was mostly called by a string of pet names – Junebug, [name_f]Pixie[/name_f], Pickle, Pidge – until she just grew into it.

Now, we still call her those nicknames occasionally, but her name is perfect for the smart, feisty almost-five-year-old she’s grown into.

I think if you’ve loved the name for a long time, that’s a really good sign that there are loads of good things you like about the name, and this may just be a (very normal!) temporary wobble. I agree with @namesleuth23 that it would be worth waiting a little while before making any decisions. Babies don’t start responding to their names until around 6 months, so there’s no mad rush.

Congratulations on your baby girl :heart:

7 Likes

I’m not a mom right now, but I think [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is beautiful. I agree with previous posters- nicknames seem like a great idea, and if you still feel iffy about it after a longer while then maybe you can reconsider!

1 Like

The gen issue would never have occurred to me! And just think of all the Jennas, Jennifers, Janelles etc who have the same first syllable as [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. If it was really a big problem it would have been more obvious due to the popularity of other names.

Genevive is a lovely name. And I agree with others, it may just be calling her by a nickname until she’s a little older and unless you have another name already in mind that you are 100% sure of, I wouldn’t change it.

1 Like

My name is [name_f]Jen[/name_f] and the only “gen” word that perks my ear is generally. Which, isn’t bad at all! I did have a friend call me Jenital in high school but it wasn’t in a mean way, just a funny way. There’s [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] in my family and we call her [name_f]Viv[/name_f]. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps! I think [name_u]Nev[/name_u] would be a cute nn… think [name_f]Neve[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u]!

First off, congratulations on your baby girl! However, I’m so sorry your feeling this way. Genevieve is such a gorgeous, lovely name. I didn’t think of genital at all! But I do get if you don’t like it anymore.

Maybe you could give her a nickname like Eve, Evie, Gene, Ginny, Gemma, Gem, Geneva, Gina, Viv, Vivi, Vieve, Gigi, Nevi, Gen, Gennie, Vivvie, Genie, Ginger?

Does she have a middle name that she could go by?

If she’s not very old yet so you could always change her name. It really doesn’t matter how old she is, but I think if she’s younger it might be an easier transition. You could always choose something close to Genevieve so it wouldn’t be that big of a transition like Guinevere?

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]! [name_m]Can[/name_m] your nephew call her [name_f]Evie[/name_f]?

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is an awesome name I don’t hear/ see genitals at all. The fact that u have liked it a long time and was at top of your list is a good thing. Naming my second kid was the most difficult because when I was considering names for number 2 I expected baby to come out looking like my first baby and when he came out looking so different all the names seemed odd because he didn’t fit my expectations. We chose a name from top list but it took me months before I used his name because it just didn’t fit what I had imagined. Now it totally fits and we love it!

1 Like

My best friend is [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. She loves loves her name. She has a twin brother, [name_m]Jake[/name_m], and so her parents opted to call her [name_f]Jeni[/name_f] as a nickname so they matched. It’s absolutely a gorgeous name.

But if you don’t feel settled, don’t be afraid to work towards changing it. I know two people who have changed babies names after the birth certificate was submitted. A little bit of work but worth it for a lifetime of peace!

I’ll second everyone who’s suggested using a nickname until she grows into it :slight_smile: even some long names never get grown into and that’s ok! For example my father has never been [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] and my brother has never been [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]. They are both always and forever [name_m]Tim[/name_m] and [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. I started using my long name when I was 18 and never turned back, but hardly ever used it until that point.