Having our first baby, a boy, in February! Here are our ideas...

This is my first post here! I am loving the Nameberry community. We’ve had so much trouble finding boy names we like. Some of my/our favorites are:

[name]Arden[/name] Revere (but I don’t like how [name]Arden[/name] makes me think of [name]Cayden[/name]/[name]Jayden[/name]/[name]Ayden[/name] etc)
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Reuben[/name]
[name]Malachi[/name]
[name]Caedmon[/name] Revere
[name]Chase[/name] (as a middle name - his mom’s maiden name which is no longer “alive” in the family)
[name]Raphael[/name]

Middle name Revere is probably my favorite. We realize we gravitate towards biblical names without trying. Our puppy is named [name]Jonah[/name], and we realized we used up a REALLY good name on our dog, otherwise [name]Jonah[/name] would probably be in our top list too!

Are there any other names in this same vein we maybe haven’t considered? Other ones we like are [name]Charlie[/name] (not [name]Charles[/name] though) [name]Jude[/name], [name]Elijah[/name]/[name]Elias[/name]/[name]Eli[/name], and [name]Joseph[/name]. But they are a little too common for my preferences. Girl names we love (we definitely plan on having more kids): [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Sage[/name]/[name]Skye[/name], [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Margot[/name] [name]Louise[/name], [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Chase[/name]. See, that was so easy. :slight_smile:

Our last name is [name]Moore[/name]. Does [name]Caedmon[/name] [name]Moore[/name] sound too jolty? ([name]Caedmon[/name] Revere [name]Moore[/name] sounds better I know, but when do I ever use the full name?) We are thinking he could be called [name]Cade[/name] as a nickname. It’s probably my top favorite name at this point…I have a literary/historical background and this name makes my heart sing.

My favorite from your list is [name]Silas[/name]!

Yeah I like [name]Silas[/name] the best too! And [name]Silas[/name] Revere is über cool.

[name]Silas[/name] Revere has actually been my top combination until I remembered I loved the name [name]Caedmon[/name]. :slight_smile:

I just don’t love the idea of 100 other little Silases running around in five or ten years…

I used to think [name]Caedmon[/name] was a good name years ago until someone pointed out that it reminded them of a “cave man”. Since I didn’t care for the Neanderthal association, I lost my positive feelings for the name. [name]Caedmon[/name] [name]Moore[/name] has repetitive “m” sounds so it feels heavy to me. [name]Silas[/name] Revere is gorgeous. [name]Silas[/name] was No# 185 in popularity last year in the US (that’s only 2,081 boys) so unless you have a slew of them in your area, I wouldn’t worry about having “100 other little Silases running around.” My second choice is [name]Raphael[/name] but I don’t think it sounds that great with Revere. [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Chase[/name] [name]Moore[/name], maybe?

[name]Welcome[/name] to NB and congrats on the baby boy your expecting.
I think my favorite off of your list is [name]Caedmon[/name] Revere.

I love [name]Silas[/name], [name]Chase[/name] and [name]Caedmon[/name], and just adore the nickname [name]Cade[/name]. [name]How[/name] about would he be known as [name]Caedmon[/name] Revere [name]Moore[/name] though? His middle name isn’t likely to be stated too often, so [name]Caedmon[/name] [name]Moore[/name] sounds fine.

Wow. I just looked up [name]Caedmon[/name]'s hymn - it’s a very fine little song/poem praising God “the architect” (as OP obviously knows.) The story goes that [name]Caedmon[/name] composed the poem in a dream one night. He was a laborer with no previous education, taking care of the animals at a monastery. When he spoke the hymn aloud to the abbess, he was urged to take monastic vows. She had scholars educate him in sacred history, which he converted into poetry. The hymn is the only piece remaining. Cool!
So [name]Caedmon[/name] Revere is great. I love that Revere contains the French word for dream - rêve - and that [name]Caedmon[/name] received this gift of poetic inspiration in a dream. And with the association of [name]Paul[/name] Revere, the power of the voice runs through this name.
I like the flow. I wouldn’t say it’s heavy. I’d say it has strength, dignity, and even a little severity… which I find beautiful.

hello all! Thank you so much for all your thoughtful replies. I admit I forgot I’d started this thread until just now when I came back to see if I had any replies - what fun to read everyone’s thoughts. [name]Will[/name] be sharing these ideas with husband soon! [name]Silas[/name] and [name]Caedmon[/name] are still our favorites, but we’re far from a decision (and a baby, thank goodness!).

here’s another question - what about the name [name]Emmanuel[/name]? I love the meaning and it is very profound to me, but it seems rather solemn and heavy. Is there a good nickname that can come out of it? I don’t like “[name]Manny[/name].”

Well, [name]Caedmon[/name] Revere still rocks my world, but [name]Emmanuel[/name] is really musical and of course it’s a strong spiritual name. I don’t find it heavy. All the vowels and the L make it very gentle to my ears. Nn is hard for this one. You could do [name]Yule[/name] (like winter solstice- it is a name) or [name]Yul[/name] (like [name]Yul[/name] Brynner.) I know the name is “Eh [name]MAN[/name] yu-wel” but it’s pretty close. [name]Noel[/name] would be a bigger stretch… I met a [name]Manu[/name] once, but he was Brazilian. Still, it’s a possibility.