Having second thoughts. Help!

Ladies, we were all set on our little girl’s name (due Sept. 13th), but I’m having second thoughts.

We were going to name her [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Wilhelmina[/name] and call her [name]Willa[/name]. I’m now having second thoughts about [name]Wilhelmina[/name] and wondering if we could just call her [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Willa[/name] nn [name]Willa[/name]. I typically dislike abbreviated names as a standard, not as a nn (i.e. [name]Brad[/name] instead of [name]Bradley[/name], [name]Jules[/name] instead of [name]Juliet[/name]… etc.), but I’m think [name]Wilhelmina[/name] is a mouth full and what if she doesn’t like it one day? It’s kind of one of those names that you love or hate.

Am I over thinking this? What are your thoughts on just having [name]Willa[/name] as her mn and [name]Wilhelmina[/name] as a name… or (wince) am I going to have to go back to the drawing board? We haven’t been telling everyone that’s her name, it’s just between my husband and I.

I’m typically not a fickle person, and this is driving me nuts!

[name]Just[/name] to give you an idea, these are names we like and considered.

[name]Maeve[/name] (We both adore this name, but it sounds horrible with our last name)
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (Family name)
[name]Frances[/name] (Family name)
[name]Audrey[/name] (Worried about popularity)
[name]Emery[/name] (Family name - worried about being in the [name]Emma[/name], [name]Emily[/name] crowd)
[name]Evelyn[/name] (Family name - love [name]Evie[/name], but can’t see [name]Evelyn[/name] on a baby, also it’s popular)
[name]Sarah[/name] (Family name - don’t really like [name]Sadie[/name] as a nn)
[name]Katherine[/name] (Family name)
[name]Beatrice[/name] (Name I love, husband won’t go for)
[name]Clara[/name] (Name we both like, but sounds plain to me)
[name]Violet[/name] (Family name, more prefer it in the middle, though)

Please help!!

[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Wilhelmina[/name] is lovely but I don’t get calling her [name]Willa[/name] when her first name is [name]Sarah[/name]?

[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Willa[/name] doesn’t have very good flow.

[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Violet[/name] would be cute.

[name]Wilhelmina[/name] [name]Violet[/name] would be stunning!

[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] would also be stunning! I wish your husband liked it!

some idea using the other names:

[name]Katherine[/name] [name]Wilhelmine[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Francine[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Francine[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Violette[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Violet[/name] (lovely!)
[name]Maeva[/name] [name]Wilhelmine[/name]
[name]Maeva[/name] [name]Violette[/name]

hope I helped!

I dislike giving nicknames as a full name, too, but as [name]Willa[/name] (which I adore) would be the mn, even if she would be called by it most of the time, I think you could get away with it. I would say that if you use [name]Wilhelmina[/name], although it is a mouthful, it does give her more nn options in future, should she decide to stray away from [name]Willa[/name] (Hellie, [name]Mina[/name]) … but that probably doesn’t matter in your case, seeing as she could always revert to [name]Sarah[/name].

Personally, I prefer the flow of [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Wilhelmina[/name], and seeing as it is technically her mn then I don’t think its being a mouthful will cause too many problems, as she would ordinarily be referred to as [name]Willa[/name] by friends and family and [name]Sarah[/name] on class registers, forms etc.

Are you set on [name]Willa[/name]/[name]Wilhelmina[/name], or would you consider using another middle name instead?

Good luck!

I think that [name]Willa[/name] is a good stand alone “nickname.” I hardly consider it a nickname, really. And, it goes quite well with many of the names you have listed.

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Violet[/name]

My youngest was born Sept 14th and we changed our mind about what her name was going to be about 3 weeks before she was born. We even wrote the first choice on the back of an ultrasound picture. Sometimes I wonder if it was actually her “telling” me she didn’t like our first choice. [name]Silly[/name] I know.

By [name]Wilhelmina[/name] being in the middle not to many people will ever say her whole name. Of course I use my daughters first and middle names all of the time. If you really do love [name]Willa[/name] why not use it as her first name as some one suggested?

Oh, dear, I love [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Wilhelmina[/name]!

[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Willa[/name] sounds kind of singsong to me. What about [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Willow[/name] nn [name]Willa[/name]. At least [name]Sarah[/name] and [name]Willow[/name] don’t both end in “a”.

Now that I think about it [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Willa[/name] is fine. It’s just that [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Wilhelmina[/name] is so amazing!

I don’t think I am going to be any help because I don’t like [name]Wilhelmina[/name] and I find it difficult to say and yet we have one in our family history.

Did you know that a nn for [name]Sarah[/name] is [name]Sally[/name]?

I can’t understand why you don’t want to use the first name you have chosen as baby’s primary name.

I think that [name]Willa[/name] in the first name spot is lovely as is [name]Sarah[/name].

From your list [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Katherine[/name] are the stand outs.

My suggestions are:

[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Sally[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Sally[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name] [name]Kate[/name] (I put [name]Jocelyn[/name] in as my father [name]Joe[/name] (full name) was born on Sept 13, what a happy, beautiful person and I love the spunkiness of [name]Kate[/name].

I know I got right off the track, sorry.

PS [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Billie[/name] for a girl? (Another variation on [name]Willa[/name].)

[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Willa[/name] is fine, but it doesn’t have the best flow. From your previous posts I remember how much you loved [name]Willa[/name], and it would be a pity to lose it. I agree with some of the other posters that it stands on its own (unlike some other nickname names). Would you consider putting it in the first spot? I think [name]Willa[/name] [name]Sarah[/name] works slightly better than [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Willa[/name].

Otherwise, nice combinations from your family names (apologies for repeats, I couldn’t keep track of them!):
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] (If it’s in the middle is it as much of a problem with your surname? I love this combo.)
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Frances[/name] (gorgeous)
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Audrey[/name] (I think the popularity isn’t such an issue as a mn)
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Emery[/name] (same as for [name]Audrey[/name])
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] (I think this is so classy - combination of something shorter and spunkier and something more traditional in the same way as [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Wilhelmina[/name])
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Violet[/name] (I like this slightly less, although not sure why)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Wilhelmina[/name]! And the nn [name]Willa[/name] is adorable. The only reason that I can see for changing it is if you decided you didn’t want to call her by her mn, in which case, [name]Willa[/name] would be a fine stand alone first name. Good luck!

Oh [name]Carter[/name]! I went through this too and nearly changed [name]Emery[/name] [name]Jane[/name] to [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. I understand how hard it is. [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Wilhelmina[/name] is a beautiful name. I don’t think [name]Wilhelmina[/name] is any more of a mouth full then [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]IMO[/name]. You can just call her [name]Sarah[/name] if you think [name]Wilhelmina[/name] is too much. I don’t like the flow of [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Willa[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you want to walk away from [name]Wilhelmina[/name] all together?

[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Willa[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Willa[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]/ [name]Wilhelmina[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]/ [name]Wilhelmina[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Claire[/name]/ [name]Wilhelmina[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Wilhelmina[/name] [name]Violet[/name]

I adore [name]Susan[/name]'s idea of [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Willow[/name], if you decide not to use [name]Wilhelmina[/name].

Thank you all very, very much for you input! I think we’ve just decided we’re going to wait until we meet her in a few weeks. Ugh!

All your choices are beautiful! Best wishes!

I’m sorry you’re having second thoughts, [name]Carter[/name], but for what it’s worth, I really like [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Wilhelmina[/name]. (To me, [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Willa[/name] doesn’t flow well…) For what it’s worth, I think your list of favorites is fantastic, and I think it’s a great idea to see which name fits her best when she’s born.

I have a feeling that you’ll take one look at her and know her name with certainty. :slight_smile:

Please keep us posted! :slight_smile: