Having trouble adjusting to name

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all- I named my baby [name_f]Lilah[/name_f].
I love it - I just find it hard to get used to. I call her princess, sweetheart, baby girl… etc… she’s so small that I feel like [name_f]Lilah[/name_f] is too much name. I’m also second guessing the spelling I chose. Does anyone else have trouble making the name “fit”?
Thanks in advance.

[name_f]Lilah[/name_f] is my favorite spelling of the name if you’re pronouncing it like lie-lah, I’d pronounce [name_f]Lila[/name_f] like lee-lah
Since you think [name_f]Lilah[/name_f] is too much for a baby why not use a nickname? [name_f]Lil[/name_f] maybe (leel or lyle, any pronunciation) or [name_f]Lili[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilika[/name_f] or Li (like lie or lee)? It’s what my mother did with me
Good luck!

You have chosen beautifully! It is very understandable that this tiny baby looks more like “[name_u]Baby[/name_u] Girl” or “Sweetheart” now but believe me, she will grow into being [name_f]Lilah[/name_f]. Much better to have chosen a lovely name that will wear well for her as a teen and an adult than a name that remains childish sounding. Try not to worry!

I love that name! Once you start calling her [name_f]Lilah[/name_f] I’m sure you’ll get used to it in time. I agree with everyone else that she’ll grow into it. If you really dislike the spelling you chose, I’m sure there’s time to change it, but I think the extra h looks nice.

[name_m]Don[/name_m]’t worry! I felt the exact same way calling my baby by her name. I think it will feel unnatural to call them by any formal name for a few weeks at least, it is normal. :slight_smile:

I think most people have trouble adjusting to calling their tiny little baby by a name. She’ll grow into it. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t worry.

I didn’t call my baby by her name for a long time. I always just called her baby girl. Eventually I had to start intentionally saying “baby [name_u]June[/name_u]” and saying her name out loud, and eventually it stuck

I struggled myself after naming our daughter. We used a longtime favorite of mine, but it felt weird to call her by it for a while. I actually went for about a week or so trying other names on her to see if they fit better. It turned out that no name felt as right as the original name we chose. [name_f]Lilah[/name_f] is gorgeous and eventually you’ll get used to calling her it. I think it helped a lot that family and friends all called her [name_f]Alice[/name_f] so I could hear it more often until it just felt right. [name_m]Just[/name_m] give it some time and if using nicknames feels better for now, then go ahead and use them! Everything is so new and different with a new baby that sometimes we focus on the one thing we CAN change, but it doesn’t need changing at all. Good luck!

That is completely normal. My daughter didn’t “look” like her name at first. [name_f]Lilah[/name_f] is beautiful. I think you will naturally adjust.

It’s completely normal with a new little one! I felt this way even though I loved both names I picked. They’ve been traveling around with you in your belly for so long nameless and with whatever nicknames you’ve been using unless you were using name beforehand, and it’s like it’s the same person that you now have to call a new name! It will change - you’ll come up with some natural nicknames - maybe Li (lye?)? My second was [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] and we intended to call her [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], but even [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] felt like too much name for someone so little - my [name_f]MIL[/name_f] called her “[name_f]Maggie[/name_f] Moo” one day and she ended up being “Moo” for a long time! Now she’s bigger and fits [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], but I occasionally still call her Moo.

Thanks everyone - I feel better now.