Having Trouble Deciding Baby Name! Need Help

So, hubby and I are expecting baby #2, don’t know the gender yet. Our first child is boy. His name is [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m] [name_m]Scott[/name_m]. The names my husband and I both sort of like are:

For Boys:
[name_m]Clarence[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m] [name_m]Clark[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m] [name_m]Clark[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Clark[/name_m]

The middle names are not as important as the first names, so when you reply, please give most feedback to the first name. My main worry is that the name [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] (which we both like) is just too weird and not done anymore.

For girls:

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Nicole[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_u]Skye[/name_u]

I am leaning toward [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], while he is leaning toward [name_f]Josephine[/name_f].

From the boys I really like [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Clark[/name_m] or you could go with [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] since you and DH both like [name_m]Clarence[/name_m].

From your girls list I really love the first names of [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. Since you both are leaning towards one or the other, how about [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]?

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]!

I like [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] best of the boys names and it sounds great with [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m]. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t worry about it being too weird - I think older, vintage mens names like [name_m]Harold[/name_m], [name_m]Clarence[/name_m], [name_u]Wallace[/name_u], [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], etc will become much more popular over the coming 5 years or so. The one thing I don’t like about [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] is that there are no obvious nicknames other than [name_u]Clare[/name_u], which then makes him sound like a girl. [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] would be my second pick with the nn [name_u]Toby[/name_u].

I like [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] best but they’re all nice names you have.

I’m really keen on [name_m]Clarence[/name_m]. I don’t think it’s too unusual. It’s not that common nowadays, but it’s still got a nice vintage pedigree to it.

For a daughter’s name, I like [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_u]Skye[/name_u], or perhaps [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Nicole[/name_f].

Hello and congratulations, @julgwill!

What a fantastic literary name pairing you chose for your son.

With the exception of Skye {which, to me, feels more trendy than timeless}, I like every name on your boy-name and girl-name lists {with Clarence being my favorite :)!}.

However, none of these names is distinguished enough to be Tennys0n Sc0tt’s sibling.

Here are my suggestions for a brother:

Tennyson {and}

Dickens, Fenimore, Fitzgerald, Hawthorne, Hemingway, Rudyard, Salinger, Thackeray, Whitman

http://www2.uncp.edu/home/acurtis/Courses/ResourcesForCourses/InfluentialAmericanAuthors.html

I actually named my son [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m] after the poet, not honor the poet himself, but to honor a poem that he wrote. [name_m]Scott[/name_m] is my father’s name. Those other literary names don’t hold water for me… I always want the name to mean something.

Another vote for [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] (with [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] second) and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. I think [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] is a little close to the beginning of [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m]-- what about [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] instead? [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] is a little close to [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m], so I wouldn’t use that either-- what about [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] or [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] as alternatives (and they have echoes of [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] too).

I really like [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]!

[name_f]Nicole[/name_f] is so the 90’s, I am tired of it, plus really dislike it for personal reasons. [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] makes me think of the dad in sister, sister. [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], TOE BIASED. sorry, had to. I love [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m] [name_m]Scott[/name_m], but I don’t like [name_m]Clark[/name_m] as a middle name.

“Sorry had to” what? Mispronounce a name to make it sound vaguely like two words thrown together?

I’m not a big [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] fan myself as the only time I’ve ever heard it is Arrested Development, and he doesn’t give them a good name lol… But I see no “obvious” negative nn coming from it.

From the boys list, my favorite is [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], but my personal preference is for siblings not to share the same initial. So I’d have to take that one off the list. I think [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] would get my vote then.

As for girls I can see how you’d be torn between [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. Both great names and both go well with big brother. I’d have to say I’m leaning towards [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], though I would definitely use [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] in the middle spot.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] your name choice for your firstborn! [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m] is a Victorian [name_u]Poet[/name_u]. That being said I have tried out some others listed below, as well as names mentioned in the poems from that era. I also used some of that [name_f]Era[/name_f]'s regular names used as middle’s just so you get the idea.

[name_m]Charlton[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_u]Barrett[/name_u] [name_m]Kingsley[/name_m]
[name_m]Hamelin[/name_m] Coventry
[name_m]Dover[/name_m] [name_m]Canton[/name_m]
Pierceson [name_u]Alcott[/name_u]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] [name_m]Clark[/name_m]
[name_f]Bronte[/name_f]’ [name_m]Jarvis[/name_m]

I really like the way [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m] and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] go together!
[name_m]Tennyson[/name_m] and [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] is my second!

For the girls why not [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] sounds very pretty and seems to go better with her brothers names.

Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!

I love [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m] and I think [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] would be great as a brother. I also love [name_m]Clark[/name_m].
For girls I like all your options although, as someone else pointed out, [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] and [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m] are kind of a tongue twister for me. But at the same time, I like the way they sound in my head (without trying to say both aloud).
You have great options!
My picks would be:
[name_m]Clarence[/name_m] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!

I think [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] will work if and only if your son is genetically predisposed to become a tall, well-muscled man. I knew such a man named [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] and it totally worked! On an average or smaller build, definitely not, IMHO.

[name_m]Bennett[/name_m] and [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] are nice. [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] has a demeaning nn, and [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] would be ok if he could go by [name_m]Clark[/name_m]. Perhaps [name_u]Spencer[/name_u]?

A kid in my younger sister’s class got the nn toe-biased in elementary school, and it stuck, in high school people still call him that.

I love the [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] and [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] suggestions! [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] for girl would also really work.

Out of your suggestions I love [name_m]Clarence[/name_m]. It’s handsome. [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is also gorgeous

[name_m]Clarence[/name_m] [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] are delightful.

I was immediately drawn to the name [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] when I saw your list. It fits well with [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m] and has a nice vintage feel. Second favourites would probably be [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] and [name_m]Bennett[/name_m]. [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_u]Skye[/name_u] would be my girl pick.

[name_m]Clarence[/name_m] drew me in, also! [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m] and [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] make a wonderful pair. Another thought was [name_m]Clark[/name_m] as a first name, or [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u].

Josephine Abigail is my favorite girl’s name for you. Or maybe Josephine Eloise?