Having two daughters with names that end in — 'a' or 'ia'?

When it comes to girl names, I’m pretty partial to names that end in ‘a’ or ‘ia’ — [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Monica[/name_f], [name_f]Silvia[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], etc. (the only girl names i like that don’t end in a/ia are holly and maren but that’s neither here nor there haha)

Would it sound too odd to have two daughters with names that end in — ‘a’ or ‘ia’? Like I said, I love those names… but I’m not sure how I feel about them together as potential siblings? It’s hard to explain, so I hope someone understands!

I don’t think it’s unusual. I’m also a fan of -a and -ia names, and my daughter’s name is [name_f]Brianna[/name_f]. I think -a ending names together in a sibset wouldn’t turn any heads, like [name_f]Brianna[/name_f] and [name_f]Cosima[/name_f]. But if they’re too matchy, like [name_f]Brianna[/name_f] and [name_f]Bellina[/name_f], that would bother me. However, you could do much much worse - like [name_f]Brianna[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosanna[/name_f], [name_f]Brianna[/name_f] and [name_f]Rhianna[/name_f] or [name_f]Brianna[/name_f] and [name_f]Briar[/name_f].

Same goes with -ia really, but I think its slightly more important to make sure the names are distinct from one another. [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] are fine together, but [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] are a bit too matchy.

Best bet is to match an -a name with an -ia name, like [name_f]Brianna[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], especially if the names have differing numbers of syllables. Then again, me and my two siblings all end in an “e” sound and nobody’s ever batted an eye about it, so dont let it stop you from using names you love

I completely agree with all of this!

I agree with the previous posters. It wouldn’t be unusual at all, as long as the rest of the names didn’t sound too matchy. So many beautiful girls names end in a or ia!

I think I’m much more apt to notice / care about same first letter names, e.g [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], than the fact that both those names ended in the same letter. I don’t think it’s a big deal, and there are many girl names that end with the letters you specified, so it’d be hard to avoid. I have a couple of names on my list that end in -ie, and I think it’s fine, generally.

I get what you mean. I prefer to have sibling names to have different endings, but with girls names ending in -a, I’ve tried to get over it. There are just so many, and I’ve found that it’s such a common ending, rarely stressed or emphasised, as long as the rest of the name is different enough (which is usually the case) there’s really no issue. I would avoid using two -ia names, as that’s a more prominent sound, and tends to sound overly matchy.

In short, I think multiple -a endings is absolutely fine, but I’d personally stick to only one -ia name. To be honest in the non-Namenerd world it’s unlikely people would notice.

Most of my sisters and I have first names that end in A (exception being my step-sister). Luckily, the beginning parts of our names are different enough so as to not be overly matchy. It was never really an issue. When we were younger, we used to point it out to our mom, as proof that she did have a bit of a naming pattern, but that’s it.

I probably wouldn’t even notice unless the names were very matchy, like the [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] example someone mentioned. All of the names you listed would sound fine together in my opinion.

I think it’s perfectly fine. In fact with the popularity of names ending in -a-, I think it’s a commonplace thing now.

No big deal. We have two girls both end in -ie. Only a few people notice and never in a negative way.

Names like [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] sound great together. If you have one with an -a and another with an -ia, and/or if the names are a different number of syllables, it’s fine.