Hazel or Aviva

My husband and I have narrowed our list down to two names for our second daughter: [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Aviva[/name_f]. I’m a little concerned about the rising popularity of [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] as we favor less common names. However, we love the name! We also love [name_f]Aviva[/name_f], and it’s meaning, spring like, especially as she is due early spring. It also is a Hebrew name which honors our heritage. However, our older daughter is [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] - is [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] too similar or unique enough on its own? We will likely favor the nicknames [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] and [name_f]Viva[/name_f] often over her given name. Our daughter [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] often goes by [name_f]Zaza[/name_f]. It’s a coin flip for us right now - we love them both but also have hesitations with choosing between them. Thank you for the help!

I think [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is a better fit with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but I love [name_f]Aviva[/name_f]! I do find it pretty similar to [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], though I’m not sure why. The names don’t have too many similarities :woman_shrugging:t2:

Thanks for your input.

I think the similarity is 5 letters, ends in A. But by that token a lot of names are off the table: [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_f]Alana[/name_f], [name_f]Britta[/name_f] off the top of my head. So maybe I’m just too in my own head?!

I prefer the look, sound, and nickname options for [name_f]Aviva[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] make a better sibset. I also like the repeating ‘z’ in both names, it adds a sense of cohesiveness between the two names. But honestly, I wouldn’t pick a name just because it sounds better as a set.
I actually don’t think [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] are too close to be sisters at all, especially if they go by [name_f]Zaza[/name_f] and [name_f]Viva[/name_f]/Vivi! [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] is a beautiful name and I definitely think it can stand its own!

Yes I totally agree that our favorite name not favorite name as a set should be what we choose. Thank you for your input!

1 Like

I personally prefer [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] because they both contain “Z and EL” (Ha-Z-EL, EL-i-Z-a). [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] means the hazelnut tree so I would say there quite " springy". [name_f]Zaza[/name_f] ([name_f]Eliza[/name_f]) [name_f]Elle[/name_f], Zeze, Zelle ([name_f]Hazel[/name_f]). I’m so sorry, I don’t know if you have anymore nicknames for [name_f]Eliza[/name_f].

Good luck with everything!

1 Like

Aviva! What a fabulous and unexpected name! I think it sounds great with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], too. And, fwiw, I actually think Hazel is more similar to Eliza – I mean, they literally share four of their five letters.

2 Likes

Hah good insight! I didn’t even notice.

1 Like

I like [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Aviva[/name_f]; both sound quite zesty to me.

Apparently, [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is incredibly popular although I have yet to meet one.

Eliza and [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] do sound similar, but if they will go by [name_f]Zaza[/name_f] and [name_f]Viva[/name_f], well those sound similar too, but in a nice way.

I think it’s six of one as both choices are good.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I prefer the elegant and beautiful [name_f]Aviva[/name_f]. I don’t find it too similar to [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is 🤷

3 Likes

I prefer [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] for you!

1 Like

Thank you both!

I think [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] fits really well with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]! [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] is pretty, but I’m not really sure how to pronounce it. I feel like she would have to spell and explain her name a lot which would get annoying.

Hi there.

I love [name_f]Aviva[/name_f]. It’s so beautiful, slightly exotic, smart, strong & elegant. It’s also fairly simple but very unique. [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is a cool name, but it’s extremely popular right now. And I do think that [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] & [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] go slightly better together, but [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] & [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] sound fine too.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! I am starting to lean towards Aviva. My husband is leaning slight towards Hazel. Eliza likes Aviva FWTW (she’s 2).

1 Like

I don’t really know how to answer this, since I feel like I’m always biased against [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] (I just don’t like it). What I can say is that both [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] go well with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]. [name_f]Aviva[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] have the same amount of syllables, which… could be confusing for some people, guess? And [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] both share the strong “z” sound, which is not ideal for me, but I think some people would really like the shared sound. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

Thank you!