Hear me out on this honor name

so a number of months ago my best friend took her final breaths, it absolutely destroyed me and I’ll never be the same because of it (thank you nameberry for helping me through). well, I’m planning on naming my first daughter in a few years after my best friend, her name was [name_f]Caitlyn[/name_f] (it had been one of my favorites before I met her) so I’m planning my daughter to be will be [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f].

the middle name also needs to be important to me and thats how I got to [name_f]Summer[/name_f]. my best friend was an amazing writer and she created this amazing character named [name_f]Summer[/name_f] [name_u]Moon[/name_u]. I think [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] [name_f]Summer[/name_f] would be really cute. what do you guys think

2 Likes

[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] [name_f]Summer[/name_f] is a sweet and meaningful name. I think it works well.

1 Like

I’m deeply sorry to hear this—I recall your prior posts. What a shattering loss. :broken_heart:

[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] [name_f]Summer[/name_f] has a sweet, yellow, warm feeling. Works great! [name_f]Summer[/name_f] [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] would be beautiful, too.

2 Likes

It’s a beautiful name in itself and feels very meaningful

1 Like

It’s such a nice and meaningful name! [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] [name_u]Moon[/name_u] would be pretty too.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear of your loss and its impact, I can really empathise having lost my closest cousin in terrible circumstances when we were both in our late teens,

Take it or leave i’these thoughts, but I wonder if [name_f]Summer[/name_f] [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] might be a better choice. [name_f]My[/name_f] friend called her child after her best friend who died young, and sometimes seems too heavy for the child who has her mother’s story of loss attached to her name. I think given you’re intending to honour her through two names, switching the order gives your daughter some room to be herself and not have the entire name associated with your friend and the loss of her. Maybe even another name chosen afresh for your daughter, with [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] as the middle (which is what several family members have done to remember my cousin). I know I wouldn’t want to have my first name be someone who died in tragic circumstances, it would feel inauspicious and sad I think - even just in the background subconscious, and even if the stories of her were also beautiful - it would still feel like my mother’s loss…

5 Likes

[name_f]Summer[/name_f] [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] just doesn’t sound very nice to me, I’m not really a fan of [name_f]Summer[/name_f] as a first name, and [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] is kind of an honor to my late great-aunt [name_u]Kitty[/name_u], so it feels better to use it as a first name.

I agree with @EloiseT that it might be a heavy backstory for a first name.
Other thing to take into consideration, I’m thinking ahead here but I think it’s important. You will probably be naming your future kid with a partner, who might want a say, or might not feel good about 2 honor names for your best friend. Getting attached to and set on a name that has so much importance to you might create a conflict in your couple (and pregnancy hormones won’t help as you get particularly sensitive, plus it can be hard to compromise if you’ve been projecting on a specific combo for years). So, just keep in mind that you might not use it as a combo, maybe you’ll only use either one of these names, as a first or a middle.
Maybe think of other “lighter” combos with [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] or [name_f]Summer[/name_f], that you might like too, just to have more options on the table and not get hurt if you can’t use that particular combo in the end.

I know I personally wouldn’t let my partner choose both names to honor a person he lost that I haven’t even met. I would give them one honor name, but would insist the kid has their own first name.

Outside of these considerations it’s a lovely name.

3 Likes

I’m planning on having my kids alone, and I have a plan to get the names I want even if my partner doesn’t want to use them.

1 Like