Heard a great name story tonight

While making a fast food run, I noticed the cashier’s name tag. Her name was Tinera (prn Tuh-neh-ruh). I thought it had a pretty sound and commented on it. she said her uncle made it up. The story was that she was born in the mid 1960’s when the [name]Tiny[/name] Tears doll was out. While she was in the hospital after birth and without a name yet, everyone noticed when she cried really loud she only had one or two tears come out of one eye. It reminded her uncle of the [name]Tiny[/name] Tears doll so he invented Tinera using letters from [name]Tiny[/name] Tears. :slight_smile:

Has anyone else heard any great naming stories lately?

Bump!!!

[name]How[/name] sweet :slight_smile:

My closest friend is named [name]Amanda[/name], and her first mn is [name]Catherine[/name]; all very ordinary. When she was born, her older sisters were around 3 and 7, and their mother told them that they could choose a middle name for her … they picked [name]Strawberry[/name], and true to her word, their mother named my friend [name]Amanda[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Strawberry[/name]! We always joke that she is such a trend-setter that she pre-empted [name]Gwyneth[/name] Paltrow’s [name]Apple[/name] by twenty years :slight_smile:

My daughter, who is adopted, was given middle names with interesting stories, too. [name]Even[/name] though she is almost four now (she came to live with us just over a month ago) her birth mother had named her [name]Baby[/name], and she had no mn. We called her [name]Ambrosia[/name], but wanted her to have a connection to her birth mother, and so for her middle name, we chose [name]Frances[/name], as in Dirty Dancing, [name]Baby[/name] Houseman’s real name was [name]Frances[/name]. Her other middle name is [name]Sofia[/name], because when asked what she wanted to be called, she said “sofa”.

twinkle,
What sweet naming stories. I think [name]Strawberry[/name] is cute! And what a lucky little girl [name]Ambrosia[/name] is. I am so glad you adopted her. My youngest daughter is 4 (will be 5 soon) and it is such a fun age! [name]Ambrosia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] [name]Sofia[/name] is a lovely name. I loved the movie “Dirty Dancing” and I’m very saddened by [name]Patrick[/name] Swayze’s loss this past year:( My oldest son and his wife are expecting their first biological children (twin girls) in the spring. They have legal custody of her half-sister’s son and daughter (ages 3 1/2 and 2) and want to adopt them eventually. They are darling children and I am so glad they have a good home now (they were in an abusive situation). I love adoption stories.

I agree, it is lovely having young children - they just see everything in a completely new way! I have three under four at the moment, which is busy but very rewarding :slight_smile:

I love Dirty Dancing, too; who doesn’t?

Thank you for the compliments (we call her [name]Rosie[/name] most of the time, which makes it all a bit less of a mouthful, too)! Give your son and his wife my best wishes (twins - what a blessing!). My other adopted son, [name]Jasper[/name], has meaningful names, although the story is not quite as interesting - he was only a few weeks old when he and [name]Rosie[/name] were first taken into care, and so the social workers named him Jontee. [name]Jonty[/name] is quite nice, in my opinion, as a nn for [name]Jonathan[/name], but as a (misspelled) whole name it just looked so off next to our biological son’s name. We named him [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Edmond[/name], to keep the JT theme ([name]Edmond[/name] is my brother’s mn).