Heh heh somewhat embarrassing question

Hello, people!
So… I’ll get to the point. I don’t know acronyms. I get things like fn mn ln nn and stuff, and sometimes I’ll suddenly realize out of the blue what a certain acronym that I had been wondering about was (a few minutes ago, I was struck like a bolt of lightning with the realization of what nms stood for). But what about OH, DH, DS, all of those things? Thank you! Or should I say… TIA!

5 Likes

[name_m]Don[/name_m]’t be embarrassed! I didn’t know the acronyms when I first joined either.
OH is one that I don’t see often here, I’m pretty sure it means other half. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong though!
DH is Dear Husband, DW is Dear Wife, DS is Dear [name_m]Son[/name_m], and DD is Dear Daughter.
Are there any other ones you’re still unsure about?

(edited to add, if an S is added like DSD it means step daughter, if an A is added like DAS it means adopted son!)

2 Likes

No problem. :laughing: I had to look some stuff up initially too.
I believe OH is Other Half, DH is Dear Husband, DS is Dear [name_m]Son[/name_m] etc. SO is Significant Other.

1 Like

You might find this thread from way back in the annals of time useful :point_down:

:grin:

I totally get it. I had no idea what some acronyms meant when I first started reading these forums (including nms)
Another one I came across was NAF- Not a [name_f]Fan[/name_f] ‘of name’

But the one that had me stumped was AIBU(don’t see it often)- I once seen a post titled ‘AIBU’ and thought someone was wanting opinions on naming their child this… a quick google search told me it meant ‘Am I Being Unreasonable’ :joy: :joy: :joy:

I get it. It took me a while to figure out those plus IMO (In my opinion), IMHO (In my honest opinion) and NMS (Not my style).

Thank you so much!!!
That’s right, abbreviations is the word, not acronyms! :woman_facepalming:
I thought that IMO was some misspelled version of “I mean honestly” :joy:
Thanks again!

2 Likes

I was today years old when I learned what OH was! Thank you for this thread, now I’ve got an alternative to DH, since the “dear” description doesn’t suit my OH very well! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Someone used it in a reply to me. I felt like an idiot not knowing what it was and looked it up.

1 Like

:joy: :ok_hand:

TTC is trying to conceive.

I had to look up every single one when I first started using Nameberry too. Honestly, I was lucky that a random forum I was looking for advice on had the translations beside the acronyms. TIA took me a long time to figure out (I was confused at the number of people named [name_f]Tia[/name_f] on here :joy:). Honestly, I didn’t know that OH meant Other Half until today.