HELP! 2 yrs later, still unhappy with my daughter's name...

Hello Berries,

I posted a long time ago when I was pregnant with my twin girls as we were pretty undecided on names. [name]Ella[/name] [name]Emilia[/name] and [name]Savanna[/name] [name]Yasmin[/name] arrived almost 2 years ago and I’ve never been content on Miss [name]Ella[/name]'s name. My husband and I have less common names and I just can’t figure out WHY we picked something SO [name]UBER[/name] POPULAR for our girl. I had no idea how much this was going to annoy me. There are actually 2 other [name]Ella[/name]'s on our street!

And while I think it’s a pretty name and there’s nothing wrong with it - I just want something a little more SPECIAL. Also, something so that if she’s sick of being [name]Ella[/name] S. in her classes when she’s bigger she might have an alternative. My husband is FINE with us changing her name to something longer that can be shortened to [name]Ella[/name]. She already knows her name is [name]Ella[/name] and we cannot change that.

My only question is WHAT should it be? The name I wanted from day 1 is [name]Stella[/name] but I don’t think that is an option now. Others I’ve played with are [name]Ariella[/name], [name]Arielle[/name], [name]Eloise[/name] (ehh), [name]Ellena[/name]…? It will also have to sound right with her sister [name]Savanna[/name]. So it’s tricky!!!

If anyone has some help in this area I’d be so grateful. I can’t get over it and it’s crazy how it really bothers me!

Thanks everyone,
[name]Leila[/name]

If your reason for not liking [name]Ella[/name] is popularity, I’m afraid I have some bad news about [name]Savanna[/name]- in the [name]Savannah[/name] spelling, it’s been in the top 100 for almost 20 years and and the top 50 for 15. It’s ranked in the top 500 every year since 1983. [name]Ella[/name] is a bit more popular, but I wouldn’t call either name uncommon.

I’m not entirely sure how beneficial the name change will be for [name]Ella[/name]. As you said, she’s almost 2 and knows her name by now. I doubt she’ll switch easily to [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Mariella[/name] or [name]Eliana[/name] or whatever, and the vast majority of [name]El[/name]- or -ella names are very trendy right now anyway. You’ll be changing from a top 20 name to a top 200 name, and I don’t think that’ll really make a huge difference (especially if it still FEELS common because of the “el” part.) You may legally change her name to [name]Eloise[/name], only to find out there’s another one three blocks away, plus the two Ellas and an [name]Eleanor[/name]. [name]Eloise[/name] really isn’t going to feel unique in that situation. Legally changing a name is difficult and complicated, and a lot of work if you’re still going to call her [name]Ella[/name].

If I were in your situation, I might use [name]Ella[/name]'s full name and try it out, or maybe even call her by her middle occasionally. Perhaps she’ll take to [name]Emilia[/name], or even a middle-derived nickname like [name]Millie[/name]. If she grows up and wants to change [name]Ella[/name], she can, and she’ll change it to something she loves rather than something that’s kinda like her current name but less popular. You say you still like the actual name [name]Ella[/name], just not its popularity. In that case, it may also be beneficial for you to try to come to terms with that popularity- [name]Ella[/name] is very, very easy to spell and pronounce, and no one will ever give her a weird look when she says her name. [name]Savanna[/name] may get tired of saying “it’s two ns, no h,” but I’d be surprised if [name]Ella[/name] ever has to explain her name. Instead of insisting that [name]Ella[/name]'s name be special and unique, let HER be special- her common name doesn’t make her any less of a unique individual, and it may be more practical for her.

I love Ariella and Arielle!

What about:

Adella
Briella/Brielle
Bellamy
Carmella
Christella
Daniella/Danielle
Elena
Mariella
Noella/Noelle
Zella

I think you should go ahead and change it if you want. I don’t think there will be much confusion if you plan to still call her Ella as a nickname. Savanna is common but not as common or known as Ella.

I disagree with you, daisy451. It would be a diffrence to choose a one of top 200 names, instead of top 20. I agree that legally changing her name will be complicated, but nothing a person can’t handle. There’s nothing wrong with spelling a name often, [name]Savanna[/name] won’t be the only one who will have to spell her name. There are many children who will have to spell her name more often than the others, and people who need to write that names (teachers, recepcionist, officers) will learn to listen. I am sure society will find a way to solve that “problem”. After all, people will met that “problem” on daily basis, so they will find a way to “solve it.”

I suggest [name]Mariella[/name].

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but I love [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Savannah[/name] together. I’m sorry you’re not happy with it. I hope you find peace, whatever you decide to do!

I like:

[name]Ariella[/name]
[name]Briella[/name]
[name]Noelle[/name]/[name]Noella[/name]

For what it’s worth, I really like [name]Savannah[/name], despite it’s popularity.

Is [name]Estella[/name] an option? Similar to [name]Stella[/name], keeps the alliteration of [name]Ella[/name] [name]Emilia[/name], and it isn’t even in the top 1000. Or even [name]Estelle[/name]?

[name]How[/name] about calling her [name]Ella[/name]-[name]Emilia[/name]? Start and see how it works out and she could be [name]Ella[/name]-[name]Emilia[/name] in school if there are a lot of Ellas in her class.

If [name]Ella[/name]-[name]Emilia[/name] doesnt sit right with you, my vote would go to [name]Elliana[/name], I would try to keep the [name]Ell[/name]- part up front for a smoother transition. Since she knows her name at this point, I wouldnt change it too radically. [name]Ella[/name] is lovely! Yes there are a lot of little Ellas running around right now, but I would try to keep some continuity. I’d suggest [name]Ellie[/name] but there are a lot of those right now too, the only other nickname I can think of is [name]Elka[/name]. [name]Ellie[/name]-[name]Em[/name], L.E.M., [name]Lemmie[/name]? Yeah I’m grasping at straws now, hope you find something you love!

I wish you luck. Like one of the pp said, any name with an [name]Ella[/name]/[name]Elle[/name] type sound is pretty popular right now. I think you can get away with changing her name now though if you really aren’t happy. I would change it too [name]Elowen[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Elliana[/name].

While I agree that [name]Savanna[/name] is also very popular, [name]Ella[/name] is ten times more so at the moment due to people using longer versions and shortening it to [name]Ella[/name]. I think if you are going to go through the trouble of changing her name, I would go for something very uncommon to make it really worth it. I like the suggestion of [name]Estelle[/name], I would also suggest [name]Eulalia[/name] / [name]Eulalie[/name], [name]Noelia[/name], [name]Luella[/name], or [name]Elspeth[/name].

[name]Ariella[/name] sounds good and is easily shortened to [name]Ella[/name], so you aren’t “really” changing her name. Good luck!

I like the idea of some of the names suggested, like [name]Luella[/name], [name]Estella[/name], or [name]Elspeth[/name]. Hopefully you can find the name you like. If you do decide to stick with the name, just remember that your daughter is your [name]Ella[/name] and it is a lovely name, no matter how popular it is.

f you are going to change her name, now is the time to do it. B/c next year she’ll likely go to preschool and its your chance to introduce her as something else. Easier for her to acclimate when there is a whole classroom identifying her by that name. And you can work on the transition beforehand in the home. I agree with your husband that the best way to do it is to lengthen it or use another form so its not a drastic or as confusing change. And she s only 2 so she wont even remember it. I also like the idea of just having her go by her middle name, either fully or as [name]Millie[/name], very cute. I think going by both though could be too much of a mouthfull for her and her sister and friends who are just learning how to talk. If you really want to change it some more ideas are:
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Elinor[/name]
Ellowyn
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Murielle[/name]

[name]Bella[/name]
[name]Christabella[/name]
Gwenella
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Annabella[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
Ellyanna
[name]Gabriella[/name]

[name]Ellaine[/name]
Ellayna
[name]Ellamay[/name]

good luck

If you’re 100 percent sure that changing her name is the right thing to do, I would do it before age 3, since that’s the age when children self-identify with their names. (That’s what I read, anyway.) I think it’s important to keep in mind, though, that just because YOU don’t want her to be called [name]Ella[/name] doesn’t mean SHE will want to stop using it. You only have control for so long: you could legally change her name to [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Elena[/name], [name]Elissa[/name], etc., and there’s every possibility that she’ll still be called [name]Ella[/name] by friends and extended family. Or she might want to go by [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Liz[/name], [name]Lena[/name] - or something else entirely! - and there won’t be anything you can do about it. It will be her name to do with as she wishes. (As it should be!)

Also: say you go ahead and start calling her [name]Mariella[/name]. What happens if a little [name]Mariella[/name] moves to your block, or there’s a [name]Mariella[/name] in her class? You need to really think of why you named her [name]Ella[/name] - was it just because you thought it was unique, or did you really, truly love it? I know it’s the popular thing to - ironically - give your child an unpopular, and hopefully unique, name, but you just can’t control the names of your child’s playmates or neighbors. Since uniqueness is obviously important to you I think you might be in for a frustrating road if you change her name, since it only takes one other child with the same name to ruin the supposed “uniqueness.” That’s why I think you should go with the name you love, every time, regardless of name statistics. She’s your [name]Ella[/name], after all - not [name]Ella[/name] S. or [name]Ella[/name] H.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Elizabeth[/name], nn [name]Ella[/name]?

You mentioned that Dad still wants a name that can be shortened to [name]Ella[/name]. Does he intend to continue to call her that? Does her sister say her name? I think it would be hard to start calling a 2-year-old by another name AND get her twin to do it too. Would her sister feel weird that all of a sudden [name]Ella[/name] has a new name, but she doesn’t? I know they are only 2, but most 2-year-olds I know understand when you call them by their name. As others have mentioned, despite the popularity of [name]Ella[/name], she is the ONLY [name]Ella[/name] that is like her! She is YOUR [name]Ella[/name]. I feel like you should do whatever gives you the most peace at the end, but I feel as though changing her name now would be too confusing for her.

That being said, if you do change it, I would suggest using a name that has and obvious “ella” in it… [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Gabriella[/name], etc.

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I think you and your husband are going about changing [name]Ella[/name]'s name in a very sensible fashion. Trying to find something that feels “special” for you and him but that allows her to keep the name she knows as a nn. I’m not sure if others are reading your post the way I do but you clearly state that you don’t plan on changing the [name]Ella[/name] format but really want to give her other options so she’s not [name]JUST[/name] one of the 5 [name]Ella[/name]'s in class but instead an [name]Ariella[/name] whose nn is [name]Ella[/name]. I think that’s a great choice.

I grew up as [name]Alex[/name] and with 5 other [name]Alex[/name] in my year (mostly boys) I quickly turned into [name]Alex[/name] R, imagine my teachers horror when suddenly he had two [name]Alex[/name] R’s and two [name]Alex[/name] T’s. Yelling out “girl [name]Alex[/name] R” was more convoluted than saying [name]Alexandra[/name]. So I understand the impetus to give [name]Ella[/name] another option. My suggestions would be… (I * my favorite)

Anything ___bella. ([name]Mirabella[/name], [name]Anabella[/name], [name]Sybella[/name], Bellarose/Rosabella, ect.)
[name]Estella[/name]
[name]Antonella[/name]*
[name]Marcella[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
[name]Noella[/name] (I’m a [name]Christmas[/name] freak so I suggest this! ;))
[name]Gisella[/name]
[name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Emmanuella[/name]
[name]Fiorella[/name]
[name]Novella[/name]
[name]Rafaella[/name]*

Stats you might want (numbers depict how many children were named this last year with this particular spelling):
>1000: [name]Isabella[/name]/[name]Izabella[/name]/Izzabella, [name]Gabriella[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Daniella[/name], [name]Annabella[/name]/[name]Anabella[/name]
>800: [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Estrella[/name]

I actually think given her a “second” middle name and hyphenating it to [name]Ella[/name] might be a very graceful way to updating her name without really changing it. Are there any other short names you like? [name]Ella[/name]-[name]Mae[/name], [name]Ella[/name]-[name]Rose[/name], [name]Ella[/name]-[name]Wren[/name] ect.

(PS: Yikees this is a long one. [name]Hope[/name] it helps with encouragement and inspiration. Let us know what you decide.)

i love stella. i know a marcella and a luella, both pretty cool names. good luck.

I love [name]Ella[/name] and I think unlike [name]Madison[/name] or addison it actually has staying power because it is a beautiful classic. Have you considered [name]Ellery[/name]?