HELP! 31 weeks and no name!

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I thought we had a name – Theodore/Theo – but it’s turning out to be too popular. We are considering the following (middle name will definitely be Philip):

[name_u]Max[/name_u] [name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_u]Wesley[/name_u] (Wes) [name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_u]William[/name_u] (Billy) [name_m]Philip[/name_m]

We realize [name_u]William[/name_u] is pretty popular as well, but we’ve jokingly been calling the baby “Baby Billy” in utero, and now we’re actually starting to consider it for his name…

Note that our last name begins with G and is 2 syllables.

Any help is much appreciated!

1 Like

i love william philip, maybe louis as an alternative? max philip is darling as well, but id go with maxwell philip imo. good luck! <33

1 Like

Congrats! :blue_heart:

I actually rarely hear of baby William’s I think I’ve met one little boy called [name_u]William[/name_u] not not any baby’s I think it’s a stable classic but not overwhelmingly popular. [name_u]William[/name_u] [name_m]Philip[/name_m] is very classic and handsome. Also I think the fact that your calling your baby [name_u]Billy[/name_u] already gives an inclination that maybe his name is meant to be [name_u]William[/name_u].

I also love [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] such a handsome biblical name with the wonderful meaning laughter the name just reminds me of happiness. [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] is the epitome of happiness. [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Philip[/name_m] sounds fab.

I have soft spot for [name_u]Max[/name_u] he’s outdoorsy and friendly ultimate cheeky chappy name. However he isn’t my favourite from your list I really do love [name_u]William[/name_u] & [name_m]Isaac[/name_m].

Good luck :turtle:

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] vote goes to [name_u]Max[/name_u]. It’s so handsome and especially in front of a two syllable last name.

2 Likes

[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] gets my vote :relaxed: Next would be [name_u]William[/name_u] [name_m]Phillip[/name_m]!

1 Like

I’m partial to [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] but I think they’re all nice choices

2 Likes

I want to start by saying, I love all of these names. You won’t make the wrong decision–they’re all great.

But let’s get into this a little bit.

First, if Theodore/Theo is WHAT YOU LOVE, please name him that. Maybe what you meant by “turning out to be too popular” is that you’re personally meeting several of them, or you have multiple friends choosing it. That’s fair, if that makes you want to go a different direction. But if it’s that you’re looking at the charts, I caution you. We all have the stories about popular names we never meet, and less popular names that are everywhere in our area.

I personally know two Theos (just Theo), and two Theodores (one goes by Teddy).

On the other side of the coin, [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Philip[/name_m] would have the initials TP, and I do like that less. While we’re at it, [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Philip[/name_m] would be IP, and I don’t love that either.

I personally know one [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], one [name_u]Max[/name_u], and one [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] (Wes). None of them are children. If you’re looking for less popular usage, that’s my anecdotal evidence that they might be great picks.

I know 5 [name_m]Williams[/name_m]. One of them is an adult. The rest are children. 2 or 3 go by [name_u]Will[/name_u]. None by [name_u]Billy[/name_u], though, which I think is quite charming!

[name_f]My[/name_f] vote would be [name_u]Max[/name_u] [name_m]Philip[/name_m] or [name_u]William[/name_u] (Billy) [name_m]Philip[/name_m], if you’re sure [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] isn’t the name you love. :blue_heart:

2 Likes

I love them all except for Wesley, it just feels a big saggy imo. The rest of the names (except William- I like William for other people but not for myself) are on my shortlist and feel Quite classic but not overly popular. They all work well with Phillip too. I think Isaac Phillip is my favourite but I do love how William Phillip nn Billy is meaningful to you. Go with whatever feels right.
Just thought I would comment on the popularity of your names:
I know one max (aged around 18)
One Isaac (early 20s)
One Zac (shirt for Zachary not Isaac) aged 32
One William (aged 7)
One Billy (not short for William) aged 17
I do not know any Wesley’s and I only know one Theodore who goes by Teddy.

I think that if it is popularity you are worried about all the names are fairly popular (charts are reliable as the differ greatly between geographical regions). If you live Theodore go with that.

1 Like

I wonder if you’re using [name_u]Billy[/name_u] because you know the middle name will be [name_m]Philip[/name_m] (Philip = [name_u]Billy[/name_u] is pretty close) and for that reason I think [name_u]William[/name_u] [name_m]Philip[/name_m] doesn’t work that well because of the repeating sounds.

I agree that if you love [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] you should just use that. [name_f]My[/name_f] kids love meeting others who share their names - kids don’t really care if their name is popular or not. And a popular name today is not what it used to be. Would you regret not using [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] if it turns out that he never has another in his class?

[name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], and [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] work really well with [name_m]Philip[/name_m] if you do want to consider other options, though.

1 Like

[name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] would be my votes.

[name_m]Issac[/name_m] I think goes best with [name_m]Philip[/name_m] of all your choices. But max and [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] also feel like the ones I hear the least. I have come across little Williams/ Theodore/ [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] in recent years. [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] actually being the youngest that I personally know.

1 Like

[name_u]Wesley[/name_u] or [name_u]Billy[/name_u] (William) are my faves here!!

1 Like

I love [name_u]Billy[/name_u] as a nn for [name_u]William[/name_u]. I also adore [name_u]Wilkie[/name_u].

[name_u]Wesley[/name_u] (Wes) is nice as is [name_m]Isaac[/name_m].

With [name_u]Max[/name_u], I’d make it be [name_m]Maxfield[/name_m] or [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] just to give more nn options.

1 Like

Thanks for your input! I like [name_m]Louis[/name_m] too, but my husband nixed it. He’s also pushing for [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] over [name_u]Max[/name_u], but our last name ends in -el, and it sounds a bit much :wink:

Thank you! I love those names for all the reasons you listed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I totally hear you re Theodore; it is starting to pop up quite a bit in our circles, which would bother us. I think I’m also leaning toward [name_u]William[/name_u] (Billy) or [name_u]Max[/name_u] :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your thoughtful input! I think [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] is my least favorite of the bunch right now. [name_u]Love[/name_u] that we have a similar shortlist!

[name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_u]William[/name_u] (Billy) are lovely options. Some other ideas that are similar to [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_u]William[/name_u] etc:

[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_u]Archer[/name_u]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_u]Edward[/name_u]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilfred[/name_m]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilbur[/name_m]
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
[name_u]Henry[/name_u]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_u]Jack[/name_u]
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]

1 Like

I love [name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]! I like [name_u]William[/name_u] too but prefer nn [name_u]Will[/name_u]!

I think [name_u]William[/name_u] [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] and [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] make the best combinations. Good luck narrowing it down! :smile:

1 Like

I like [name_u]Max[/name_u] best of the options. I like [name_u]Wesley[/name_u] but it is quickly climbing in popularity this year too.

1 Like