HELP! 4 month old daughter needs a name!

I know I’m going to sound like the craziest mom in the world, but I just found this name site and can’t resist posting my dilemma, b/c there are some great name opinions on this site.

I have a baby girl. She is four months old. She doesn’t have a name. I was horribly sick after delivery and we didn’t have a name picked out when she was born (we were team green, had a great boy name :P). Things have just snowballed from there. She has been named three or four times. And un-named three or four times. It has turned into a very hot-button issue for me and DH. My family fought with us about it. My friends hated our names. I don’t care anymore. I know it is ridiculous and I know she needs a name NOW. The problem is, it has been so long, I don’t even know what I want to name her anymore. And DH and I disagree about name styles.

Tonight, we are deciding on her name for sure this time. We have the birth certificate papers in our hands (its blank) and we are filling it out and then there’s no turning back. We are making our final lists tonight and then swapping them. (below is just my list, haven’t seen his yet)

I would [name]LOVE[/name] your opinions on my list. Anything you want to say about the names, any fresh name suggestions you have.

Our last name is hyphenated, rhymes with [name]Jackson[/name]-[name]Ford[/name].

I am looking for a name that is on that border between unique/cool and too out there…
Her mn is set as [name]Miriam[/name]

For reference, the names we have named her and then un-named her are [name]Vada[/name] (vay-da), [name]Jewel[/name], [name]Thea[/name] (thee-ah) and [name]Lark[/name]. Those are all still options. My family HATED [name]Vada[/name], though, so that’s way lower on the list. [name]Lark[/name] is still one of my favs and seems to fit her well. [name]Jewel[/name] was a really nice choice, but we started to feel like it was similar to naming her “[name]Precious[/name]”… which, she is, but I want her to have a name that confers something other than how sweet she is, kwim? and [name]Thea[/name]… I dunno… WDYT of [name]Thea[/name]?

So, here’s my list.
What do these names make you think of? Any of them seem too far out or not far enough out? I mean, we’ve waited four months, seems like we best come up with something good :stuck_out_tongue:
[name]TIA[/name]

[name]Thea[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Lark[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Jewel[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Vada[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Willow[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (DH doesn’t like this one so much)
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (my least fav, just barely makes the list…)
[name]Everly[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (Ditto DH probably not liking it)
[name]Vega[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (this one too far out?)

My favorites are [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Aurora[/name]. What do you think of the name [name]Gemma[/name]?

oo, [name]Gemma[/name]. I like. Adding to my discuss list, thanks!

I read your list and [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] stood out to me as an amazingly beautiful name. The two names sound lovely together and they are both fabulous alone. I would absolutely go with [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]. I like the way it looks and the way it sounds. Good luck!

Okay, my favorites are [name]Aurora[/name] and [name]Willow[/name], and I love [name]Gemma[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Do[/name] you like:
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]

Good luck

From your list, [name]Aurora[/name] is my favorite! It’s a beautiful name!

I’m wondering, though, if you’ve considered [name]Miriam[/name] as a first name. You must like it since you’ve held onto it through 4 months and 4 first names (stability amidst instability is a wonderful quality in a person - why not lay the foundation with her name?). It’s also a part of her identity that’s been constant since birth - why not give it first place?[name]Miriam[/name] is timeless and ageless and has wonderful nickname possibilities ([name]Mira[/name], [name]Mimi[/name], and [name]Mia[/name]). It’s not too trendy or too popular, but it’s familiar. It’s warm and pretty and feminine. It sounds fabulous with [[name]Jackson[/name]-[name]Lord[/name]]; you couldn’t ask for better flow.
You could put something more “out there” in middle, or you could stick with something more traditional, or you could even put one of the names from your list - here are a few of my favorite combos:

[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Vada[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Jade[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Clare[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name]

Thanks so much for your thoughts… have considered [name]Miriam[/name] as a fn, but have decided it stays in the middle b/c it is a family tradition for women on my side to have variants of [name]Mary[/name] as their mn (ggm mn [name]Maria[/name], gma mn [name]Mary[/name], mom mn [name]Maria[/name], my mn [name]Marie[/name]). So, I agree whole-heartedly that it would make a lovely fn, but have agreed with my mom to continue the tradition of form of [name]Mary[/name] in the middle.

I love [name]Ruth[/name] and [name]Jade[/name] from your list, thanks!

Thanks! Its funny, many of the names you listed were on my original list, cut for various reasons, but may have to give them a reconsider…

[name]Violet[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name] it, but a friend just named her baby that
[name]Evangeline[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] it, DH hates it
[name]Willa[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] it, re-adding it to the list for discussion
[name]Paloma[/name], think I like it!
[name]Adelaide[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] it, but don’t want an [name]Addy[/name]
[name]Cora[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] it, but DESPISE nn ‘[name]Cori[/name]’

my ODS is [name]Gabriel[/name] and I hate the nn [name]Gabe[/name]… thought I would get used to it, or could control who called him that, but now I have a [name]Gabe[/name]… don’t want to make the nn mistake again with my daughter.

Another vote for [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]. Although I wouldn’t like [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Ford[/name] as much because of the ‘or’ sounds, the [name]Jackson[/name] part of the last name breaks it up. I think [name]Aurora[/name] is beautiful and offers nn options–[name]Rory[/name], [name]Aura[/name], [name]Rora[/name], etc.
One I haven’t seen listed yet is [name]Phoebe[/name]. Or what about [name]Luna[/name]? For [name]Adelaide[/name], I would suggest nn [name]Della[/name] but you’re right you can’t always control the nicknames

Here are a few more names I really like that go:

[name]Leila[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]

[name]Glad[/name] you like [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] sounds really nice!

I forgot to say–please let us know what you decide!

[name]Hi[/name] there I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I hope we can help you.

If you live in [name]England[/name] you may like

[name]Jemima[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] nn [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Mim[/name], [name]Mimi[/name], [name]Gem[/name]

PS I have found out that the beautiful [name]Jemima[/name] is not loved in [name]America[/name] due to a mammy on a syrup bottle being named [name]Jemima[/name]. I think it is a gorgeous name.

I love [name]Willow[/name] but for the best flow it needs to be reversed [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Willow[/name]

A few more

[name]Lilah[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Alicia[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] I think that this combo has a beautiful rhythm to it
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Lana[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]

I’m just gonna give you some of my favorite names!
[name]Bree[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Brenna[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Nina[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Sasha[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Ariel[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Crystal[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Isadore[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Jade[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
Kitra [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Paulina[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Rhianna[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Vada[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] ( I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Vada[/name], it’s on my list!)
[name]Vera[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] sounds good!
[name]Wynn[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Zelda[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]!!! THE END!!!

[name]Miriam[/name] as a first name does get you the super cute nn of [name]Miri[/name].

[name]Everly[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - is nice and you both like it. nn [name]Evie[/name] is super cute.
[name]Vega[/name] - I [name]DO[/name] love this name. I think I’m one of the few but I really do.
is it too far out? I guess that depends on where you live and what the trends are.
[name]Nora[/name] - is a great name. What about [name]Nola[/name]? [name]Noli[/name]/[name]Nolie[/name] is a cute nn. Or even a longer version [name]Lenora[/name] or [name]Eleanora[/name].
[name]Thea[/name] - how about [name]Athena[/name]? Has a [name]Thea[/name] and [name]Aurora[/name] vibe to me.
[name]Aurora[/name] - I love this name but I always feel like I have to force it out of my mouth it, feels foreign to me. That’s just me and my poor pronunciation of it.
[name]Juliet[/name] - what about [name]Julianne[/name] or Guilia?
[name]Vada[/name] - I actually like this one too.
[name]Willow[/name] - is not my style all though I love the connection with a tree. [name]How[/name] about [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Aspen[/name], or [name]Berkley[/name] (where birches grow).
[name]Jewel[/name] - not my style either for a fn but love it in the middle.

[name]Nigella[/name] - is a flower and means “love in a mist”.
[name]Nigella[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]

From what was suggested I love -

[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Leila[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name] - one of the first to come to my mind. I think it’s great.
[name]Daphne[/name] - one of my ultimate personal favorites.
[name]Jade[/name] - oooo or how about [name]Jada[/name]/[name]Jaida[/name]? It’s like [name]Vada[/name] but “safer”.
[name]Lola[/name] - :slight_smile:
[name]Paulina[/name] - another favorite with [name]Paulie[/name] nn.
[name]Zelda[/name] - some on is on my wave length today :slight_smile:

I feel so bad for you! What a dilemma.
The important thing is to think about what style you want. [name]Do[/name] you want a studious yet classically beautiful name like [name]Nora[/name] or [name]Julia[/name] -oh, I see you have [name]Juliet[/name] on your list. Or do you want something creative? Like [name]Willow[/name]? If I kept naming my baby, and it wasn’t working out, I would go for something that was a little unusual to satisfy my craving for not too popular, something that could be studious, that could be arty, that could be gorgeous, etc. In other words you need a name that is versatile.

[name]How[/name] about:
[name]Anya[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name] - if this went with my last name, I would love it forever!
[name]Daphne[/name] - I always loved this name.
[name]Daria[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] - it would be hard to get tired of [name]Flora[/name]!
[name]Frances[/name] - sounds nice with [name]Miriam[/name], I love [name]Frances[/name].
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Lena[/name] - so pretty, so versatile.
[name]Ottilie[/name] nn [name]Ollie[/name] or [name]Tillie[/name], it would be hard to tire of this, too.
Paisha - (PAY-sha)
[name]Talia[/name]
[name]Tula[/name]
[name]Zandra[/name] nn [name]Zandie[/name]

Now, let’s see what you’ve got…

Our last name is hyphenated, rhymes with [name]Jackson[/name]-[name]Ford[/name].

I am looking for a name that is on that border between unique/cool and too out there…
Her mn is set as [name]Miriam[/name]

For reference, the names we have named her and then un-named her are [name]Vada[/name] (vay-da), [name]Jewel[/name], [name]Thea[/name] (thee-ah) and [name]Lark[/name]. Those are all still options. My family HATED [name]Vada[/name], though, so that’s way lower on the list. [name]Lark[/name] is still one of my favs and seems to fit her well. [name]Jewel[/name] was a really nice choice, but we started to feel like it was similar to naming her “[name]Precious[/name]”… which, she is, but I want her to have a name that confers something other than how sweet she is, kwim? and [name]Thea[/name]… I dunno… WDYT of [name]Thea[/name]?

[name]Thea[/name] is pretty

So, here’s my list.
What do these names make you think of? Any of them seem too far out or not far enough out? I mean, we’ve waited four months, seems like we best come up with something good :stuck_out_tongue:
[name]TIA[/name]

[name]Thea[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - pretty
[name]Lark[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - I don’t like these two names together.
[name]Jewel[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - not my style
[name]Aurora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - very pretty
[name]Vada[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - I don’t like [name]Vada[/name]
[name]Willow[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - I don’t like these two together
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (DH doesn’t like this one so much) - It doesn’t seem like your style
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (my least fav, just barely makes the list…) [name]Don[/name]'t like [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Miriam[/name] together
[name]Everly[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (Ditto DH probably not liking it) - I love [name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Vega[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (this one too far out?) - I don’t like [name]Vega[/name]

[quote=“careyjr3”]I’m just gonna give you some of my favorite names!
[name]Bree[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Brenna[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - I love [name]Brenna[/name]
[name]Nina[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - love [name]Nina[/name], too
[name]Sasha[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Ariel[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Crystal[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - sorry, but I really don’t like it.
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - love, one of my faves
[name]Elodie[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - I like the sound of [name]Elodie[/name], but then I always think of [name]Melody[/name], which bothers me for some reason.
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - pretty
[name]Giselle[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Isadore[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Jade[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
Kitra [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Paulina[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] - love
[name]Rhianna[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Vada[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] ( I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Vada[/name], it’s on my list!) - I nicknamed my son [name]Vada[/name] (VAH-dah) when he was little, but it didn’t stick. Also called him Vafa (VAH-fah).
I would suggest [name]Vivian[/name], but I don’t like it with [name]Miriam[/name].
[name]Vera[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] sounds good! - love it
[name]Wynn[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Zelda[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]!!! - I don’t care for [name]Zelda[/name].

I really like [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] and [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]. From your list of favorites, [name]Daphne[/name] is really cute.

From all of them, I’d vote for [name]Aurora[/name].

Good luck and let us know what you finally decide.

All the names are lovely. The only name that is really not a good name is [name]Vega[/name] too much like vegas and actress [name]Paz[/name] [name]Vega[/name] last name. The most important thing is that you and your husband love the name. Good luck!

[name]Thea[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]: I think that this is beautiful, but I just thought I’d mention that I’ve heard [name]Thea[/name] pronounced as Thee-a, [name]Thay[/name]-a, and [name]Tay[/name]-a, so pronunciation may be an issue. It may not bother you, but I just thought I’d mention it in case. :slight_smile:

[name]Lark[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]: I don’t think it’s too out there or anything, but I prefer some of the others on your list.

[name]Jewel[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]: I’d personally go with an actual jewel name, such as [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] or [name]Opal[/name] [name]Miriam[/name].

[name]Aurora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]: I think that this is lovely!

[name]Vada[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]: I prefer some of the the other names, but I don’t hate [name]Vada[/name] at all. I actually associate it with the darling girl in the movie “My Girl.”

[name]Willow[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]: I think the combos flows beautifully, but I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Willa[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] more. :slight_smile:

[name]Nora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (DH doesn’t like this one so much): I think that some of the others on your list have more of a special feel, but I do think this is pretty. Have you thought about [name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Miriam[/name], with [name]Nora[/name] as the nickname? I just realized that [name]Nora[/name] and [name]Ford[/name] have the same or sound, so I’d personally go with something else on your list.
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (my least fav, just barely makes the list…): I [name]LOVE[/name] this! :slight_smile:

[name]Everly[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (Ditto DH probably not liking it): I’m not personally a fan of [name]Everly[/name], but I can see its appeal. A celebrity named his daughter this with the trendy -leigh ending, so I guess it feels trendier to me than the other names on your list.

[name]Vega[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (this one too far out?) I think of the singer [name]Suzanne[/name] [name]Vega[/name].

Some more you may like (and my apologies for repeats…I couldn’t keep track of all the suggestions):

[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name] (oops…forgot about [name]Miriam[/name] in the middle…)
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name] (nn [name]Vera[/name]…close to [name]Vada[/name] and [name]Vega[/name])

Good luck to you! (And again, my apologies for repeats!) :slight_smile:

I thought I’d also suggest [name]Waverly[/name], which is close to both [name]Everly[/name] and [name]Willow[/name], and has the long A sound you like in [name]Vada[/name] and [name]Vega[/name].

[name]Edit[/name]: Adding [name]Romilly[/name], too. :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile: