Help! Baby #3 - It's a Girl!

We have a boy, [name]Cohen[/name] [name]Matthew[/name], and a girl, Emarie ([name]Em[/name]-a-ree) [name]Renee[/name], and another girl expected in [name]March[/name] :slight_smile: . I’d love some input on her name! I like finding a cute nn, then building a creative “proper” name around it, to give her options. Ex: [name]Emi[/name] for Emarie. My top 3 nn so far:

[name]Tia[/name] - (but don’t like [name]Tiara[/name] or [name]Tiana[/name]), wondered about [name]Kristiana[/name], [name]Theresia[/name], [name]Stasiya[/name]
[name]Bree[/name]/[name]Bria[/name] -
[name]Sadie[/name] - wondered about [name]Seraphina[/name], but not sure if flows with the sib set :slight_smile:

Any “proper” suggestions, or other names you think would fit our family? Our last name starts with “Lo”.

[name]Cohen[/name] is handsome :slight_smile: Emarie is interesting, hadn’t heard of that before. Oh, is it like [name]Emery[/name]? That makes sense. Okay…

[name]Tia[/name] - [name]Celestia[/name], [name]Amatia[/name], [name]Hypatia[/name], [name]Laetitia[/name], [name]Lucretia[/name], [name]Portia[/name], [name]Venetia[/name]; [name]Christina[/name] could also work.
[name]Bree[/name]/[name]Bria[/name] - [name]Cambria[/name], [name]Umbria[/name], [name]Sabrina[/name], [name]Bridget[/name], [name]Briana[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] - [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Isadora[/name], [name]Sadira[/name]; I think it’s a bit of a stretch getting [name]Sadie[/name] from [name]Seraphina[/name]…

Any you like?

• [name]Charlie[/name]

Thx for posting [name]Charlie[/name]. None of those jump out at me. This is so hard!!! Perhaps I need to change my tactic. Can you think of some other names in keeping with the sib set? Thx so much :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about [name]Miriam[/name] nn [name]Mimi[/name] but wait prob;y too matchy w [name]Emi[/name]

Have you thought about [name]Ansley[/name] nn [name]Annie[/name]?

Okay, some fresh ideas for a sister to [name]Cohen[/name] and Emarie…

[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Melia[/name]
[name]Alexia[/name]
[name]Ariana[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Felicia[/name]
[name]Irina[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Laila[/name]
[name]Talullah[/name]
[name]Zaria[/name]
[name]Zinnia[/name]

Is that more your style, karigirl?

[name]Hope[/name] this helped more :slight_smile:

• [name]Charlie[/name]

DH has shot down so many ideas!!! But he does like [name]Adeline[/name]. Does that flow ok with [name]Cohen[/name] and Emarie? It’s certainly a different vibe. I do like the nn [name]Addi[/name] :).

What about [name]Tirzah[/name] nn [name]Tia[/name]? It means “delight” in Hebrew and I think it compliments Emarie and [name]Cohen[/name] (especially) nicely

Also to get to [name]Bree[/name]/[name]Bria[/name] is [name]Abrial[/name] it is french and means “open, secure, protected” [name]Abrial[/name] and Emarie sounds pretty

For [name]Sadie[/name] there is also [name]Sadia[/name]/h or [name]Sadiyah[/name], [name]Sadira[/name], [name]Sadeila[/name], [name]Sadelle[/name], [name]Sadellia[/name]

I think.[name]Adeline[/name]. is.perfect for you! [name]Cohen[/name], Emarie and [name]Adeline[/name] is lovely! :slight_smile:

I love Adenline!

Thanks everyone for your input!! Although we aren’t for sure yet, [name]Adeline[/name] is in the lead :).

Now to figure out how to combine our moms’ names for the middle: [name]Ruth[/name] and [name]Anne[/name]. Maybe Ruthanna?

Thx for your suggestions, everyone. Here is our current list… I’d love to hear your thoughts:

[name]Cohen[/name], Emarie, and…

[name]Adeline[/name]- nn [name]Addi[/name]
[name]Norah[/name]
[name]Aria[/name] - nn [name]Ari[/name]
Kalia (ka-[name]LEAH[/name]) - nn [name]Kali[/name] (cally)
[name]Melaina[/name] - nn [name]Laini[/name]
[name]Melina[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] - nn [name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Selena[/name] - nn [name]Lena[/name] (too much with our “Lo…” last name??)
[name]Celia[/name] - CeCe or [name]Lia[/name]

Thanks!!!

Okay, some opinions…

[name]Aria[/name] is very spritely and feminine but I think a bit too close to Emarie. [name]Celia[/name] is gorgeous and it would be my top pick if it didn’t share the same initial as [name]Cohen[/name] but this kind of thing only bothers some people so it may not be an issue for you. [name]Melina[/name] fits very well and is lovely and elegant. [name]Melaina[/name] on the other hand is a tad confusing and [name]IMO[/name] not as pretty. Kalia isn’t really my style but perhaps you’d like [name]Malia[/name]? Mix of [name]Melina[/name]/[name]Melaina[/name] + Kalia plus most people would know how to pronounce it. [name]Selena[/name] is very sleek and sophisticated and I don’t think [name]Lena[/name] Lo… sounds bad at all. [name]Nora[/name] is gorgeous, not so keen on the [name]Norah[/name] spelling, I think it takes away from the classy-ness. [name]Isadora[/name] nn [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Adeline[/name] are my favourites, they’re both beautiful and charming and fit well with [name]Cohen[/name] and Emarie :slight_smile:

So my top picks for you are (in order): [name]Adeline[/name], [name]Melina[/name], [name]Isadora[/name].

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]Aria[/name] is very spritely and feminine but I think a bit too close to Emarie. [name]Celia[/name] is gorgeous and it would be my top pick if it didn’t share the same initial as [name]Cohen[/name] but this kind of thing only bothers some people so it may not be an issue for you. [name]Melina[/name] fits very well and is lovely and elegant. [name]Melaina[/name] on the other hand is a tad confusing and [name]IMO[/name] not as pretty. Kalia isn’t really my style but perhaps you’d like [name]Malia[/name]? Mix of [name]Melina[/name]/[name]Melaina[/name] + Kalia plus most people would know how to pronounce it. [name]Selena[/name] is very sleek and sophisticated and I don’t think [name]Lena[/name] Lo… sounds bad at all. [name]Nora[/name] is gorgeous, not so keen on the [name]Norah[/name] spelling, I think it takes away from the classy-ness. [name]Isadora[/name] nn [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Adeline[/name] are my favourites, they’re both beautiful and charming and fit well with [name]Cohen[/name] and Emarie

So my top picks for you are (in order): [name]Adeline[/name], [name]Melina[/name], [name]Isadora[/name].

Thanks for your thoughtful responses, [name]Charlie[/name]! You are a great sounding board :). I was wondering the same thing about [name]Aria[/name] being close to Emarie. Plus, I think I’d have to explain how to say it: AR-ee-ah vs [name]AIR[/name]-ee-ah. I have to explain Emarie’s name all the time, so I was hoping to avoid that this time! I’ve deleted [name]Melaina[/name] & Kalia from the list. I really do like [name]Malia[/name], but can’t use it. My concern with [name]Isadora[/name] is the “dora”… I don’t love it. But I love [name]Sadie[/name] - just not on its own! I find myself gravitating towards names ending in “ah”: So that leaves [name]Nora[/name], [name]Melina[/name], [name]Celia[/name], and [name]Selena[/name]. I know an adult [name]Melina[/name] -she is lovely- but I think of her every time I say the name. That is a bit of a drawback. I feel [name]Celia[/name] is a touch harder to say than the others. I had my kids try it out, and it was a bit hard. [name]Nora[/name] isn’t as good a fit with the other two, I think. For now my top pick is [name]Selena[/name]. I think it’s so pretty and ageless!! I’m a bit bummed that it has a weak-ish meaning tho - “moon”. My other two have very strong meanings. I’ll have to see if my husband is ready to commit to a name yet :).

Can you give me a thought on a mn? I’m considering using our mother’s middle names: [name]Ruth[/name] and [name]Anne[/name]. My husband suggested using my first name, but I’m not sure it works:

[name]Selena[/name] [name]Kari[/name]
[name]Selena[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Anne[/name]
[name]Selena[/name] Ruthanna

Thanks again!!

[name]Kari[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Kari[/name],

You’re most welcome! I’m glad I can be of help to you :slight_smile: Okay, so [name]Melaina[/name] & Kalia are out and [name]Malia[/name] isn’t an option, whilst [name]Isadora[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Melina[/name], [name]Celia[/name] and [name]Selena[/name] all have their own issues. Hmmm. I understand what you mean about having that connection with [name]Melina[/name]. [name]Even[/name] though it’s a positive one I think you want a name that hasn’t been clouded by another personality, right? If it feels like the name ‘belongs’ to another person I think it’s best to avoid it. [name]Celia[/name] could morph into something else with her older siblings not being able to grasp saying it yet - which could be cute, depending.

So as for [name]Isadora[/name], if you’re not loving the ‘dora’ part of [name]Isadora[/name] then perhaps that name isn’t for you. You should love everything about the name you choose for your daughter! You might instead like [name]Isabeau[/name], [name]Isabel[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name] or even [name]Isis[/name]? But since it’s the [name]Sadie[/name] nn that’s really grabbing you how about [name]Sara/name? [name]Sara[/name]/[name]Sarah[/name] would give you the nn [name]Sadie[/name], has the ‘ah’ ending that you like, very similar to [name]Nora[/name], same initial as [name]Selena[/name] and best of all, fits in perfectly [name]IMO[/name], with your other children’s names. It also means ‘princess’ :slight_smile: [name]Cohen[/name], Emarie and [name]Sarah[/name] are lovely :slight_smile: And for middle names, how about [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]?

On [name]Selena[/name], I agree, it is very pretty and would age well. As for the meaning of ‘moon’ being weak, I think it depends on how you look at it. The moon is the only celestial body humans have landed on so it represents man’s achievements. The moon is responsible for our months and tides so it could be considered powerful. The moon also plays a large part in mythology for different cultures and has the feeling of being rather illusive. [name]Selene[/name] was a Greek goddess, impressive in itself. In the end though, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it.

As for middle names, I think using [name]Ruth[/name] and [name]Anne[/name] after your mothers is a lovely idea :slight_smile: Your name would also be a lovely idea but as you said, I don’t really think it works. From your list I think [name]Selena[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Anne[/name] is the best option. The flow isn’t terrific but it works fine and the including the names is the most important thing. [name]Selena[/name] Ruthanna is to rhyme-y for me. Have you thought about using a variation of [name]Anne[/name]? Something like [name]Selena[/name] [name]Annette[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] or [name]Selena[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Annaliese[/name]?

[name]Hope[/name] this was helpful :slight_smile:

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I think [name]Adeline[/name] fits great! I also think [name]Serafina[/name] fits nicely too!

Here’s some others you might like:
[name]Madeleine[/name] (mm [name]Maddy[/name])
[name]Olive[/name] (nn [name]Ollie[/name])
[name]Sylvia[/name] (nn Syvie)
[name]Violet[/name] (nn [name]Vi[/name])
[name]Avery[/name] (nn [name]Avie[/name])
[name]Avalon[/name] (nn [name]Avi[/name]) - I know a girl with this name–super cute
[name]Everly[/name] (nn [name]Ever[/name])
[name]Lilian[/name] (lots of nn potential here)
[name]Truly[/name] (nn [name]True[/name])
[name]Evelyn[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])
[name]Georgia[/name] (nn [name]GiGi[/name])

[name]Charlie[/name] -a couple things you suggested stood out to me. Firstly, the name [name]Sarah[/name]. I probably wouldn’t use [name]Sarah[/name] (my cousin just named her LO [name]Sarah[/name], and it’s a bit plain to me)… but I’m wondering about [name]Sarina[/name] as an alternative to [name]Selena[/name]. It is a spin off of [name]Sarah[/name] so it has the same meaning, and perhaps I could get away with nn [name]Sadie[/name]? Too much of a stretch? I also like it because it doesn’t have the possible “L” problem with our last name.

The middle names: I like the idea of using a variation of [name]Anne[/name]. [name]Annalise[/name] is very pretty. I have two middle names - [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Marie[/name]. I used [name]Marie[/name] for DD#2, so I could use [name]Annalise[/name] for the middle this time. Wouldn’t get my [name]MIL[/name], but it’s so pretty with [name]Sarina[/name]!

[name]Chantilly[/name] - thx for your suggestions. My fav on your list is [name]Avery[/name], but I think it’s too close to Emarie. [name]Avalon[/name] is also an interesting choice, but I don’t think it’s feminine enough for me.

For now it’s [name]Selena[/name] vs [name]Sarina[/name]… assuming DH will agree! :wink:

When it comes to [name]Sarina[/name] I would be concerned that it looks more like a yooneek spelling of [name]Serena[/name] even though it is it’s own variation, I also just prefer how it looks, but of course it is beautiful. I would go with the [name]Serena[/name] spelling, I’m sure you could get [name]Sadie[/name] from that and it has a beautiful meaning “tranquil/serene”. If you want to use a form of [name]Sarah[/name], have you considered [name]Sadelle[/name]/[name]Sadeila[/name], [name]Sarine[/name], [name]Zara[/name], [name]Saretta[/name], [name]Sorcha[/name] or Sarise? [name]Selena[/name] is beautiful, you can’t go wrong with that one and I don’t think you’re confined to just nn [name]Lena[/name], I could see [name]Sadie[/name] working as well as [name]Sally[/name] and [name]Nell[/name].

When it comes to middles [name]Anneliese[/name] is perfect, I also love [name]Annika[/name], [name]Anthea[/name], Annalore and of course, [name]Annabel[/name]. [name]Anna[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] could be pretty, also the variation [name]Ruthia[/name] softens [name]Ruth[/name] a bit. I also found [name]Annora[/name] in my search which is a variation of [name]Honor[/name] or [name]Honora[/name]. If you wanted to be neutral and not risk favoritism [name]Honora[/name] is a neutral choice w/the sounds of both grandmother’s names included and you get to have [name]Nora[/name] in there! To honor your M I L you could use a name with an R in it or a name that has both a predominate A and R sound or a name that starts w/ Ru like [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Rufina[/name], [name]Ruza[/name] (variation of [name]Rose[/name]).

Best, [name]Blair[/name]

[name]Adeline[/name] goes great with your girls names. Are you pronouncing it -line, -lynn- or -leen? That is the only drawback with that name. [name]Serena[/name] or [name]Selena[/name] would be lovely choices. I would love to have either as my name, they are so beautiful. I also liked [name]Melina[/name]/[name]Melaina[/name] until I read this: From Wikipedia: In medicine, melena or melaena refers to the black, “tarry” feces that are associated with gastrointestinal hemorrhage. The black color is caused by oxidation of the iron in hemoglobin during its passage through the ileum and colon. Not such a pretty picture is it? [name]Elaina[/name] “[name]Lainey[/name]” though would also be perfect with your kiddos names.

Others you might like:
[name]Elaina[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Carina[/name]
[name]Talia[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Annora[/name]- gives you the nn [name]Nora[/name] and honors [name]Ann[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Lilia[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]

Thanks for jumping in, [name]Blair[/name] & [name]Leah[/name]! [name]Blair[/name] - I had to triple take “yooneek” spelling -it is such a good illustration! I’m a bit concerned about that, but I like the “a-r-i” that is in my name (kari) and DD (emarie). Kind of a neat little tie. I also much prefer the meaning of [name]Sarina[/name] to [name]Serena[/name]. But I think you’re right - it’ll rarely be spelled correctly. I personally don’t mind that (kari is mostly spelled carrie) - hopefully she wouldn’t :).

[name]Leah[/name] - I would pronounce [name]Adeline[/name] as “line”. I think I’d have to correct people saying “lyn” a lot tho.

There are so many beautiful choices. I’m still debating between [name]Sarina[/name] and [name]Selena[/name] - [name]Selena[/name] seems easier to say? But [name]Sarina[/name] has a better meaning and some neat ties. Hm.

Also, is [name]Sarina[/name] [name]Annaliese[/name] too much of a mouthful? 3 syl first/middle and 2 syl last name.

I’ve spent so much time looking and thinking on this… it’ll feel good to finally find THE name!