Help! Baby is 5 days old & we can’t decide

Siblings are [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] (7) & [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] (5), last name starts with T & has 3 syllables. Mom & Dad names both start with E.

Our top list is: [name_m]Miles[/name_m] (Dad’s fave), [name_m]Henry[/name_m] (my fave - [name_m]Huck[/name_m] or [name_m]Hank[/name_m] as nn?), [name_m]Hayes[/name_m], [name_m]Jack[/name_m] & [name_m]Zeke[/name_m] (or [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] - which I do like but seems a bit much & we are not religious… I also see another “E” as a downside since DD would be only H and I didn’t intend to have an all-E family…) I think [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] is the bottom of our top 5 but we’ve kept it in the running. And I’m much less concerned about middle than first…

He was born on Friday morning and we didn’t know if he was a boy or girl. My chosen girl name was [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and I didn’t think it would be so hard to land on the boys name… we’ve been home for a few days and still going round & round so any feedback appreciated!!

What do you think is best with the sibling set? Neither of my kids has had their name shortened to a nickname before. Uniqueness isn’t as important to me as fit, but it is one of the downsides I see to [name_m]Jack[/name_m]… we originally intended to name [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] “[name_m]Jack[/name_m]” in 2012 and there are so many at his school that I’ve been glad we didn’t… But I still think it’s a handsome name.

I also think I like 2 syllable names (my own is 4 and it’s a lot) which may be why I lean to [name_m]Henry[/name_m] from this top 5 list.

Thanks for any help!!!

[name_m]Ethan[/name_m], [name_u]Hadley[/name_u], & [name_m]Miles[/name_m]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe [name_m]Miles[/name_m] with the nickname [name_m]Milo[/name_m]? I find [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] a bit close together in sound but both [name_m]Hank[/name_m] and [name_m]Huck[/name_m] are cute nicknames.

1 Like

[name_m]Miles[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] or [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. I’d probably eliminate [name_m]Henry[/name_m] on account of it starting with an H line [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] unless it was my clear favourite. My favourite with [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] and [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] is probably [name_m]Miles[/name_m].

What a tough dilemma ! This is how my brain works … so here it goes…

I would probably eliminate [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] to avoid alliteration. I love [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] , I love how they stand on their own, and as part of the group…Which would leave [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_m]Miles[/name_m].

[name_m]Ethan[/name_m] [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] seem to flow really well , but I do worry about the popularity of [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. I hear it everywhere - still.

Which by process of elimination would leave [name_m]Miles[/name_m]. [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] and [name_m]Miles[/name_m]. It personally isn’t my favourite of your list but it ages well and I feel like it is unique and unexpected with your kids . I hope that helps

Gosh I really love [name_m]Miles[/name_m] with your other kids!

My favorites are [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m]! I don’t think [name_m]Henry[/name_m] needs a nickname though and I don’t love [name_m]Huck[/name_m] or [name_m]Hank[/name_m] (makes me think of handkerchief). With that being said [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is a bit close to [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] so I’d pick [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is such a lovely name because it is short and sweet all while being handsome and will age well. [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is ranked #28 now so it’s not uncommon but certainly no [name_u]Noah[/name_u] or [name_u]Mason[/name_u] in terms of popularity. I have only met two Jacks (I have met many Jakes however). On the other hand, I’ve met many boys with the name [name_m]Miles[/name_m] and its just kind of underwhelming to me (current rank is #98). [name_m]Milo[/name_m] is also becoming a very popular name and that is pretty similar to [name_m]Miles[/name_m]. I don’t like [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] (sounds the same as [name_m]Haze[/name_m] and is too trendy to me) or [name_m]Zeke[/name_m] (for no particular reason). You have some great options and I hope this helps!

All are great options. [name_m]Miles[/name_m] is my favorite.

[name_m]Harris[/name_m]
[name_m]Zayne[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_u]Kyle[/name_u]
[name_m]Aaron[/name_m]
[name_m]Clark[/name_m]

I would say [name_m]Miles[/name_m] is a great option. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] would also work. If you aren’t planning on anymore kids, would [name_m]Silas[/name_m] work in place of [name_f]Isla[/name_f]?

I like [name_m]Miles[/name_m] or [name_m]Hayes[/name_m]. I feel the others are too common. There are going to be a lot of [name_m]Henry[/name_m]'s running around!

My favorite with [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] and [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] is [name_m]Miles[/name_m]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the name. A modern classic. Ages well. I feel [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is a nickname. Though [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is a great name, I wouldn’t use it with [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] because they begin and end the same. Perhaps, [name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m], with your three syllable last name would flow nicely together.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m] T______ is my favorite.

• you incorporate both names
  • [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m] flows more nicely than [name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
  • entire family is Es or Hs. It all fits.
  • you’re right to avoid names like [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] if you are not religious
  • [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m] avoids that super religious association
  • If you are worried about popularity (I never do, because so many folks can end up doing the SAME alternative, in effort to be ‘unique’!) [name_m]Henry[/name_m] offers several NNs ([name_m]Hank[/name_m], [name_m]Harry[/name_m], etc) or [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m], or H. [name_m]Miles[/name_m] are all possible options to distiguish.

My advice would be to go with the name that ‘feels’ right when you say it, fills you with happiness, your other kids can say, and rolls off the tongue,when roll-calling your 3 kids!

Thank you all so much for the feedback - it really helped! We landed on ‘[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]’ last night and still liked it when we woke up today :slight_smile: Hooray!! Naming someone is no small feat and I appreciate everyone’s time and input

2 Likes