Help bridging the gap

My top 2 combos for boys and girls are:

[name]William[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] – pretty much set in stone
[b]Macsen [name]Hayes[/name]

[name]Rose[/name] [name]Annabel[/name] / [name]Adele[/name]
[name]Livia[/name] [name]Carys[/name][/b] (karr-iss)

I love them all, but [name]William[/name], Macsen, [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Livia[/name] seem a bit mismatched. Or am I just over analysing?

I’m not having kids yet – just obsessing!! :wink: I was wondering if you could help me with some names that you think would bridge the gap between the 4.

Thank you!! :slight_smile:

I love them. I think they all actually fit together rather well. They are all classic sounding, yet still contemporary.
My only issue is Mascen. I don’t really care for it spelled that way, because then it kind of seems out of place with the other names. [name]Macen[/name] or [name]Mason[/name] would be the best way to go, I wouldn’t mix together the two.

I also think you chose wonderful middle names.
Also, I don’t think sibsets need to be really matchy, they just need to all be names you love. When you love the names enough, they will all sound like they fit together perfectly :slight_smile:

I like [name]Rose[/name] [name]Annabel[/name] better than [name]Rose[/name] [name]Adele[/name], although both are rather pretty… [name]Rose[/name] [name]Annabel[/name] has more syllables and it just makes it sound really girly and pretty. [name]Rose[/name] [name]Adele[/name], while it’s pretty, is kind of short and harsh sounding with the D in [name]Adele[/name].
So [name]Rose[/name] [name]Annabel[/name] gets me vote :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback, rachelmarie! I’m glad you like them and think they fit okay.

I should have mentioned in the post (facepalm) that Macsen an old Welsh name pronounced like “Maxon”. I love Welsh name and my granddad was Welsh so I would prefer to keep the original spelling (although I realise it will get a few misspellings sometimes).

I love them and feel that they fit together quite well. They all evoke the same feelings to me - comfy names, familiar sounds, great for adults and as kids. I particularly love Macsen. Like pp, I prefer [name]Rose[/name] [name]Annabel[/name] to [name]Rose[/name] [name]Adele[/name]. I’m not sure why, maybe just with a 1 syllable first name, it’s nice to have the 3 of [name]Annabel[/name]. But I’m sad to cross [name]Adele[/name] off as I love it. The one of the four that I like least is [name]Livia[/name]. It’s just not distinct enough from [name]Olivia[/name] for me. Would you consider [name]Adele[/name] [name]Carys[/name]?

Thanks, gwensmom. I’m so glad you like Macsen too!

[name]Adele[/name] [name]Carys[/name] is pretty, but I’m not keen on them both having 2 syllables – it trips awkwardly on my tongue. I agree that [name]Rose[/name] [name]Annabel[/name] has the better flow :slight_smile:
I did have [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Carys[/name] as a top contender for a while – but I love [name]Carys[/name] with [name]Livia[/name] as well!

So I could have [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Carys[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] [name]Adele[/name] (or possibly [name]Rose[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name]).

[name]How[/name] do you say Macsen? Is it [name]Max[/name]-en or [name]Mason[/name]? If [name]Max[/name], I’d go with [name]Maxwell[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] - a very smart and manly name. [name]William[/name], [name]Maxwell[/name], and [name]Rose[/name] sound grand together. As for [name]Livia[/name], I’d go with [name]Olivia[/name], which is (surprisingly) a classic name like [name]Rose[/name]. You could call her [name]Livia[/name] or [name]Livvy[/name]!

I love [name]William[/name] [name]Rhys[/name], [name]Maxwell[/name] [name]Hayes[/name], [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Carys[/name], and [name]Rose[/name], but I think [name]Rose[/name] needs a middle name with a “y” in it. I think [name]Rosaleen[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] would be pretty, called [name]Rose[/name].

[name]May[/name] I suggest:

[name]William[/name] [name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Olive[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]

People, seriously. Can we stop suggesting [name]Maxwell[/name]?! [name]Elea[/name] has already said 3 times (in addition to her guest blog today) that the Welsh variant Macsen is significant to her. So why try to dilute it to something as banal - and frankly, overdone - as [name]Maxwell[/name]? If I get the gist of the post, what she is trying to do is to “mesh” her distinctive naming style within the potential sibset - not re-vamp all the names until they are sufficiently bland that they’d work with anything.

In response to the question, [name]Elea[/name], I’d actually go in the other direction - by emphasizing the more distinctive names in each pairing. Macsen, [name]Carys[/name], [name]Rhys[/name] (or [name]Hayes[/name]), and [name]Adele[/name] (or Rosenwyn from your list of Cornish names!) fit together beautifully, [name]IMO[/name].

Apologies for the rant.

That was totally unnecessary in my opinion. I hate to be blunt, but it was. Unfortunately, I hadn’t read over the other posts when I commented on this particular poll, so I apologize for suggesting a different name. But everyone has different styles, and that doesn’t mean that they are bland or inferior in some way.

I do agree, [name]Elea[/name], that if you like the traditional Macsen, you should stay with that. Would it be possible to find some spellings of the other names to fit with that? Macsen and [name]Livia[/name] sound lovely, but the others are slightly off. [name]Rhys[/name] is fantastic, by the way. Good luck in your future naming endeavors.

[name]Lemon[/name] & [name]Jemma[/name] – I love [name]Maxwell[/name]! I’ve had [name]Maxwell[/name] [name]Theo[/name] lingering on my list for years. And I think you are right, [name]Maxwell[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] does look/sound very handsome and fits very well with [name]William[/name] [name]Rhys[/name].
I just…I don’t know…I guess my head likes [name]Maxwell[/name] more, but my heart prefers Macsen. KWIM?

punkprincessphd – I’m very glad you like the idea of Macsen. And thank you for the suggestion of Rosenwyn. Funnily enough I had never really considered that as an option, but I could definitely use [name]Rose[/name] as a “called most of the time” nickname :slight_smile:

I think my problem is that I have loved [name]William[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] ever since I was a girl that I feel like all my other names have to fit with it. There are some names on my list that go perfectly ([name]Frederick[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Maxwell[/name], [name]Julian[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Lydia[/name]) and then there are others that look a bit odd next to [name]William[/name] and yet I just love them so so much ([name]Livia[/name], [name]Carys[/name], [name]Kerensa[/name], Macsen, [name]Jago[/name]).

Maybe I just need to make a decision and stick to one or the other. Keep all the traditionals in the first slot and all the Celtic/exotic ones in the middle?

lemon: I apologize for any offense - I was trying to be a little humorous, but seemed to have failed utterly. It was not my intention to cast aspersions on a particular naming style, but to point out that the OP’s original preferences appeared to be ignored. I understand that all suggestions are offered with the best of intentions, and I certainly didn’t mean to undermine that.

Perhaps it is just my general frustration with the over-saturated “[name]Max[/name]” that has boiled over into unnecessary ranting.

I have the same problem with [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]; it is my [name]William[/name] [name]Rhys[/name]. I’m glad you like [name]Maxwell[/name], and [name]Maxwell[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] is so handsome.

You could do something like [name]Theodore[/name] Macsen and still get your name in there! That has excellent flow! Something like [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Carys[/name] or [name]Julia[/name] [name]Carys[/name] would be pretty, too.

Please don’t feel too badly about it. I understand what you were trying to do, and perhaps I over-reacted as well. Anyway, it seems that she does like [name]Maxwell[/name] as well as Macsen.

I do agree with you that [name]Max[/name] is rather popular, but it is a classic name (not my personal favorite). The combination of [name]Maxwell[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] leaps of the screen to me as a handsome, classic, sturdy choice for a son, though, even if I don’t personally love [name]Max[/name].

I love all four names, but [name]Livia[/name] [name]Carys[/name] amazes me!

I think the names work together quite well actually. I also think you’ve picked fantastic middles for all four as well. [name]Rose[/name] [name]Adele[/name] fits better to me than [name]Rose[/name] [name]Annabel[/name] but both are lovely.
I was re-reading your post and the Cornish names to my husband. He says he likes [name]Jago[/name], yay! :smiley: I was doing a search for [name]Jago[/name] when I found this post. Really all your names are great.

Now that you clarified the pronunciation, I actually really love the name! I’ve never heard it before, and after repeating it to myself for a few days, I really love it. I think it’s cool, and it’s a nice change from the ever common [name]Max[/name], [name]Maxwell[/name], etc.
Would he go by [name]Max[/name], or [name]Mac[/name] or just Macsen? I think [name]Mac[/name] would actually be a cool nickname :slight_smile:

Thanks, dear! I’m so glad you like them! I love [name]Jago[/name]. It’s so handsome and cool :smiley:

Oh, I so glad it’s grown on you. I hope that when people hear it, it will grow on them too :wink:

I think I’ll go with [name]Mac[/name]. I like [name]Max[/name] but seeing as Macsen could go either way easily, I might as well go for the less used nickname.