Help! Can't think of suitable name for Isla's little sister!

Our second baby daughter is due in [name]November[/name] and we can’t think of a suitable name to “fit in” with our first daughter, [name]Isla[/name]. I love the name [name]Iona[/name] but my surname is a noun - which might lead to teasing! (Perhaps we could use that as a MN?). Also love the name [name]Bonnie[/name] but we’ve already used that as DD1’s MN. I’m half Irish/half Scottish, DH is English. I’m not so keen on Irish girl’s names -particularly those that are difficult to spell - although I do like some ([name]Orla[/name], [name]Alana[/name], [name]Fenella[/name], to name a few).

Ideas welcome! Thank you :slight_smile:

I’ll give a couple different categories of names. [name]Just[/name] let us know what you like and what you don’t.

[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Moira[/name]
[name]Rhea[/name]
[name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Sorcha[/name]
[name]Xanthe[/name]
Marsali
[name]Cait[/name]
[name]Lorna[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Deirdre[/name]

If you hate all of these, that is fine! [name]Just[/name] tell us and other pp will come up with new lists.

GL!
T

Hmmm, I’ll just give some suggestions for you to choose from, I would say you want something light, like [name]Isla[/name] is plus sweet and feminine

[name]Maura[/name]
[name]Amoret[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Dinah[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Oriel[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]

Some names I think would go well with [name]Isla[/name] (sorry for any repeats):

[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Bryn[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Greer[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Darcy[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Kaia[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Shira[/name]
[name]Sonia[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Thanks all for taking the time to make some suggestions. I’ve responded below. Many lovely ideas to get me thinking. Wonderful!

TaraT, my views on the names you suggested are as follows: -
[name]Alma[/name] - Too prissy, sorry :frowning:
[name]Celeste[/name] - So beautiful, but as it’s French it doesn’t hold the so much meaning for me so I’m not sure I can justify it.
[name]Irene[/name] - Too old-fashioned here in UK.
[name]Moira[/name] - As per [name]Irene[/name].
[name]Rhea[/name] - Hmmm, really lovely; I shall have a think about this!
[name]Sabine[/name] - As per [name]Celeste[/name] - beautiful but I have no link with [name]France[/name] and French names.
[name]Sorcha[/name] - Yes, I like this one. One for the pot!
[name]Xanthe[/name] - I don’t think hubbie would let this one through…
Marsali - I absolutely love this name, which is also Scottish, but hubbie vetoed it for DD1 on the basis that it sounded too like “parsley”! :? I might have to work on him … again!
[name]Cait[/name] - Interesting; would this be a diminutive of [name]Catherine[/name]? I quite like it but I think at least two syllables might be preferable to go with our surname.
[name]Lorna[/name] - I quite like this name, but it has a negative association unfortunately.
[name]Agnes[/name] - A good friend has just named her daughter this so it’s a no go even if I did like it.
[name]Deirdre[/name] - No, too old-fashioned for my ears, and not yet ready for a resurgence in my view!

[name]Alexa[/name], my views on your suggestions (I really like the name [name]Alexa[/name] BTW - it’s another one to consider although it is in the family already): -
[name]Maura[/name] - As per [name]Moira[/name], above, it’s a little old-fashioned for my liking.
[name]Amoret[/name] - I’ve never heard this before. I presume it’s French. I quite like it, but as you can see from above I’m sort of resisting anything too obviously of French derivation as I have no connection with [name]France[/name] and, for me, I guess a name has to have some personal meaning.
[name]Belle[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name], or [name]Bella[/name] to increase the syllables in order to go with my surname; but [name]Bella[/name] is ubiquitous in these parts which would be one reason not to plump for this one.
[name]Dinah[/name] - Yes, I like this name. [name]Will[/name] give it some thought.
[name]Hazel[/name] - It’s a pretty name but it feels a little dusty to me, sorry :frowning:
[name]Greta[/name] - Pretty but it sounds very Germanic to me and therefore falls into the [name]Amoret[/name]/[name]Celeste[/name]/[name]Sabine[/name] trap.
[name]Fiona[/name] - Definitely a contender. It would enable me to use [name]Iona[/name], without the peril of potential "I own a … " teasing :wink:
[name]Flora[/name] - A friend has named her daughter [name]Flora[/name] - pity.
[name]Juliet[/name] - Pretty.
[name]Olive[/name] - Another friend already has an [name]Olive[/name]!
[name]Oriel[/name] - Yes, I like this a lot. One to consider.
[name]Rosalie[/name] - Like this too - into the pot!
[name]Violet[/name] - I like this name but feel it sounds a little too like [name]Isla[/name] to work for us, sadly.

And Freckles, here are my initial thoughts: -
[name]Maeve[/name] - This is one of the Irish names I do like but, as I said above, I think we probably need at least two syllables to go with our surname.
[name]Bryn[/name] - I would tend to associate [name]Bryn[/name] with a male (Welsh male singer [name]Bryn[/name] Terfel, for example).
[name]Fiona[/name] - Yes, definitely a contender. I like this a lot.
[name]Nora[/name] - Had [name]Nora[/name] on the shortlist for our first daughter, but ended up ruling it out in favour of [name]Isla[/name]. Think I may have gone off it slightly but I shall reconsider!
[name]Greer[/name] - Like this a lot, but it suffers from the one-syllable problem.
[name]Lucy[/name] - I love this name. It’s in the pot!
[name]Bridget[/name] - Hmmm, [name]Bridget[/name] is a still a bit out of fashion where I hail from although i think it is making a comeback.
[name]Darcy[/name] - For a long time, this was the front runner for DD1 but was ruled out in favour of [name]Isla[/name] as it was becoming too popular round these parts (having said that, [name]Isla[/name] is gaining popularity fast now too - can’t win).
[name]Carys[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name], but I think of Welsh derivation, which has less obvious meaning to me given Scottish/Irish heritage.
[name]Ruby[/name] - I know a few too many Rubys although it is a gorgeous name.
[name]Kaia[/name] - I’d worry that it sounds too like [name]Isla[/name], but I do like it.
[name]Piper[/name] - This is probably too trendy and a bit too masculine sounding for us.
[name]Alice[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name].
[name]Luna[/name] - Like this a lot. Wonder what the derivation is. Is it short for something? Only downside is that it sounds quite new-agey, if you know what I mean.
[name]Cora[/name] - Oh, yes yes. I like this muchly… Into the pot it goes! :smiley:
[name]Clara[/name] - Not so keen on this (think it’s a bit too like my own name without giving anything away!)
[name]Hazel[/name] - As above; needs a little dusting off :wink:
[name]Shira[/name] - Sounds a bit too like a cartoon hero from my heyday :wink:
[name]Sonia[/name] - Like this. Funnily enough I named an old doll of mine [name]Sonia[/name]. [name]Will[/name] consider - into the pot it goes.

Thanks again all of you.
Birdgirl.

First of all, I love the name [name]Isla[/name]! It’s my favorite name right now.

[name]How[/name] about:
[name]Maeva[/name] (It’s French, but not too obviously so.)
[name]Caitlin[/name]
[name]Catrina[/name]
[name]Finola[/name]
Kinnia
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]

I also thought of [name]Isobel[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name], but those might be too close to [name]Isla[/name] for your liking. I second the suggestions of [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Cora[/name]. [name]Hope[/name] these help!

Btw, I love the name [name]Isla[/name]!! I think that [name]Isla[/name] would go well with-[name]Luna[/name], [name]Alanna[/name], [name]Lanna[/name], [name]Kaia[/name]/[name]Kaya[/name], [name]Raya[/name], [name]Nahla[/name], [name]Suri[/name], Oleia, [name]Viola[/name] and [name]Lola[/name].

[name]Love[/name] [name]Isla[/name]!

[name]How[/name] about:
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Fifer[/name] instead of [name]Piper[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]

What about:

[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]