Help! Clementine dilemma

Hi, berries!
Not being pregnant actually. [name_m]Just[/name_m] seeking for the future daughter.
About three months ago, I posted a topic on NB and almost settled on the name [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Cleo[/name_f]. I really love, love the name [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]. However, my family and friends keep pronouncing it " Clemen-Thai", but I prefer to pronounce it " Clemen-teen". I tried to correct them. But no matter how many times I corrected,
they just pronounced it " Clemen-Thai ". I get annoyed enough to think about changing the name.
I really love [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], but I am stuck in dilemma now.
Please tell me how do you pronounce [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] and your opinions.
Thank you for your feedback.

Can you prep them now and have them practice?

I do think most people pronounce the name ā€œ-tineā€ as opposed to ā€œ-teen.ā€ so you might be correcting many people over the course of time. If you donā€™t mind correcting people (and having your daughter) correct people, go for it!

3 Likes

Hi there, I pronounce [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] clem-en-TINE. I think youā€™re going to find that most [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers will pronounce it this way. If you were in [name_f]France[/name_f] and perhaps some other European countries youā€™d get people pronouncing it as you want but otherwise you might have to settle for always specifying how you like it said (or adjusting your preference to the [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciation).

4 Likes

I have never heard of either pronunciation you have listed. I say it as ā€œcle-MEN-tineā€ like the fruit or the female character in [name_f]Eternal[/name_f] [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f] of the Spotless Mind.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only ever heard the word (and name) pronounced -tine in [name_f]English[/name_f] so I think it will be a constant struggle to get people to pronounce it the way you want. I think they can be taught, but my mind will likely always lean towards -tine, even if someone said it -teen. The fact that clementine is also a word makes it harder too because itā€™s taking something that people are familiar with as a word and a name, and forcing them to think about it every time they go to say it.

Iā€™ve heard [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] pronounced [name_u]Val[/name_u]-en-teen for a woman from [name_f]France[/name_f] I used to work for. I grew up with a [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] pronounced [name_u]Val[/name_u]-en-thai-n so that was my first instinct on the pronunciation but after awhile I got used to [name_u]Val[/name_u]-en-teen and I came to find it very pretty.

[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] is the same thing. I would instinctively pronounce it [name_u]Clem[/name_u]-en-thai-n. But if I met someone who pronounced it [name_u]Clem[/name_u]-en-teen Iā€™d adjust. You would have to correct people all the time though. Also do you like the nickname [name_u]Clem[/name_u]? Because if theres pronunciation confusion people are just going to shorten the name!

If you love it, I would still use it! But just know there will be corrections but I feel like if you correct someone once they get it!

Thanks!
I did correct them many times, and I get tired to correct the pronunciation all the time.( Maybe I donā€™t love the name enough to do lifelong correcting)

Do you like the name [name_f]Clementina[/name_f]? [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought. I pronounce [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] with a -tine ending, but I pronounce [name_f]Clementina[/name_f] [name_u]Clem[/name_u]-en-TEEN-uh.

2 Likes

Thanks.
I am not in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country now. I thought it was pronounced " teen". Both my job and the family business need to meet many [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers. And I am likely to work in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country in the future. I was really confused when all my [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking friends pronounced the name.

Clem is lovely but not my style, but thanks for your feedback.

Clementina is wonderful. NB also recommended the name when I was searching [name_f]Clementine[/name_f].

I think maybe it depends where you live but in the U.S., I think most would say [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] like Clemen-tine. I personally really love this name and this pronunciation! I think it sounds classic and beautiful!

Iā€™d say Clemen-TINE. If you keep correcting them, theyā€™ll get it.

I say -tine rather than -teen unfortunately.

Unless I was speaking [name_u]French[/name_u], then I would say clem-ON-teen.

I think Iā€™d say -teen rather than -tine because thatā€™s how I pronounce the fruit instinctively in my head ([name_f]England[/name_f]) but Iā€™m genuinely not sure Iā€™ve ever said it aloud. So no idea if Iā€™m wrong or itā€™s the British [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciation.

ETA: According to Cambridge Dictionary, mine is the British [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciation and -tine is the American [name_f]English[/name_f]. Any ideas which form of [name_f]English[/name_f] youā€™ll be encountering most?

Thatā€™s interesting! I have three British friends ( they are each from [name_u]London[/name_u], [name_m]Kent[/name_m] and Manchester) and they all automatically pronounce it Clemen-tine.

Like I said, Iā€™ve never said it out loud so I donā€™t know how prevalent the ā€˜Britishā€™ pronunciation is in the UK. I must have heard it like that at some point to assume the pronunciation, I guess.

Saying that, a lot of ā€˜Britishā€™ pronunciations are being replaced by US pronunciation thanks to the internet/TV etc. (EG: privacy, advertisement) so itā€™s possible it used to be the British pronunciation and is now not in use/in less use.

It does suggest Clemen-teen might be an acceptable pronunciation though if youā€™re happy to correct people, OP.

I usually pronounce it Clemen-tine, not clemen-teen. I think if you really love it, itā€™s worth correcting people. And who cares if people refuse to change their ways- you can always just ask them to call her [name_f]Cleo[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]! I pronounce it Clemen-tine (like time). That said, my cousins have an [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]. I would pronounce it with an een sound not ine. But when I first met the baby they said they pronounce it Evange-line (like lime). And they only had to tell me once and I stuck with it. So I think you will have to correct some people but usually only once.