Help! Decided on Cassius, but now second thoughts because of pronunciation!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I am due in 10 days and FINALLY my husband and I agreed on a name, [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. Our daughter’s name is [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]. We are pronouncing [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] like [name_m]Cash[/name_m]-US nn [name_m]Cash[/name_m]. We haven’t shared our name selection, but an old friend messaged me today and I told her. Her first reaction was, how do you say that? I am now worried that no one will know how to pronounce his name! Am I just being hormonal and over reacting? I know some people may pronounce it [name_u]Cass[/name_u]-E-Us, so its not a total surprise. I just think its the fact we haven’t shared and now am I am overthinking our choice. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with a name that may be mispronounced? [name_m]Will[/name_m] it become annoying and make me regret my choice?
Thanks!

When I see it I assume “[name_m]Cash[/name_m]-us”… [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] never even crossed my mind lol.

I pronounce it “[name_m]Cash[/name_m]-us” as well. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the name :slight_smile:

[name_m]Cash[/name_m]-us.
One of my friends didn’t know how to pronounce [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. She would always say [name_f]Mar[/name_f] GOT. I don’t think most people will have a problem with [name_m]Cassius[/name_m]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!

I say cash us.

Something to keep in mind… Most of us on this site are “name nerds” and are familiar with names that the general population may not be. Polling people on this site may not be as helpful to you as polling people where you live and your family members. [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] is definitely not as straight forward (phonetically) as [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is. I would ask around in your area; share with a few family members or friends. It might be more telling that someone you know is unfamiliar with the pronunciation than people from this site (who love everything about interesting names!). Good luck investigating :slight_smile:

I pronounce it CA-ssi-us - the way it’s spelled

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t overthink it. It’s perfect and people will get the hang of it once you’re calling him “[name_m]Cash[/name_m]” for short.

I think the fact that [name_m]Muhammed[/name_m] [name_u]Ali[/name_u]'s real name is [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] [name_m]Clay[/name_m] makes this name more well known and easier to pronounce than you may think. I showed my husband the name (he knows nothing about baby names and sometimes will pronounce words wrong if they are unfamiliar to him) and he said [name_m]Cash[/name_m]-us, as would I. I say stick with it! [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] sound nice together.

I agree that the fame of [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] [name_m]Clay[/name_m] makes it more likely to be known. That’s definitely why I would assume [name_m]Cash[/name_m]-us unless corrected. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you have to correct people occasionally, those are the only two pronunciations, so it’s not that ambiguous. (My daughter’s name is like that, and I would say it’s a good thing the other pronunciation doesn’t bother me, because there are cases where correcting someone doesn’t seem appropriate in the moment. It would be rough if I loathed the other pronunciation every time I heard it.)

On a previous thread similar to this, it seemed like geography played a role, with Europeans more likely to say [name_u]Cass[/name_u]-ee-us, and Americans more likely to say [name_m]Cash[/name_m]-us.

I say [name_m]CAS[/name_m]-ee-us.

I say cass-ee-us, but I think that it depends on where you live. Here in Aus we tend to pronounce things phonetically.

Europeans/Australians tend to say [name_u]Cass[/name_u]-ee-us

I think most people will be familiar with the name, it’s a lovely name, so go for it!

haha you know I never knew you pronounced it any other way than [name_m]Cas[/name_m] i us, but Im from the UK (I also thought that was how [name_m]Muhammed[/name_m] [name_u]Ali[/name_u] pronounced his name! Shows how little I know!!). You’d only have to tell me once though and I’d be fine with that. You shouldn’t have to correct people more than once and sounds like most Americans will say it the way you do.