Help deciding between Cecily and Sylvie...

I could use some input in deciding on a name for my third baby girl, due in a month. Her sisters are [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u].
We are just having a hard time pinning down a name for this newest girl. We like both [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] (note the similar sounds), but can’t seem to feel quite right with one over the other. We like the meaning of [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] better (from the forest; wild) than [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] (related to a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] family name that sounds like the Latin for blind?). But how often does someone ask you the meaning of your name anyway??
We like [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], but not [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], and are not sure we want her to be asked forever, “Is that short for [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]?”
And we like the lightness of “[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]”, but I don’t really love nicknames that sound like “Cess” (kinda reminds me of cess pool, you know…).
For middle names, we like “[name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]”. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a family name and [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is just one I like.
Anyone have a helpful opinion? Or new suggestion even?
Thank you! This pregnant lady is having all kinds of troubles with all kinds of decisions!! :slight_smile:

[name_m]Both[/name_m] [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] are gorgeous and either fits beautifully with sisters [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], so either way, the little dear’s going to end up with a fantastic name. I really can’t choose myself, as [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] are both on the same level for me too. If I had to choose though, I would probably lean toward [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] just so that all three sisters have their own individual sounds in their names (as opposed to [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] sharing that prominent V) however that is such a very minor thing.

Might I suggest keeping both in mind on a short list of two until you meet bub…she might ‘feel’ like more of a [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] than a [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] or vice versa when you see her?

I think [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] fits the most with [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]. [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] is more antique, while [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] are old time classic.

I like [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and as a [name_u]Jackie[/name_u] (not [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f]) I am not often asked if my name is short for the later. I wouldn’t care anyway. Although personally I love [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] even more than [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f].

[name_f]Cicely[/name_f] or [name_f]Sisley[/name_f] are alternative spellings. I do prefer this name to [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] or [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] reminds me of [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Path…although her poetry is interesting, it’s not a namesake I’d like for my child. But I do love the meaning of the name [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f].

[name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is gorgeous. What about this as a first name?

Other suggestions:

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronte[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Melanie[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

Cheers :slight_smile:

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is one of my all time favs (and my grandmother’s name, NOT short for [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]) and I think it fits perfectly with your other names… your other choice is lovely too, I think sunniva’s suggestion of seeing which one ‘fits’ better when you met your little girl is a great idea :slight_smile:

good luck!

I like both names except the with [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] two of your 3 girls will have the strong v sound in there name. It seems like an incomplete set or a little less uniqueness. [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] is often mispronounced as [name_f]Sicily[/name_f]. When it is not, Cess seems like the natural nickname.

I do like the “s” beginning sound with your sibset. Have you considered:

[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] (eliminates the v problem)
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]

[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] is a fabulous name :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Cicely[/name_f]

I prefer [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and I think it goes best with your sibset.

I like [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] better. I think it’s really cute! :slight_smile: Good luck!

I would personally choose [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], but I love both, and your other daughters have beautiful names!

What lovely names your girls have!

In my experience, if a person has a name that’s not terribly uncommon in his or her cultural setting, no one ever asks the meaning of anyone’s name. Not sure if this is regional (I live in [name_f]Canada[/name_f]), but the only times I’ve ever heard anyone ask what someone’s name means is when they’ve never encountered that name before. I wouldn’t expect this to happen with either [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] or [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] (here, at least).

I absolutely love [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] - I find it lively but substantial. I don’t really care for [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] - mainly I haven’t met any young Sylvies and it’s a name that still feels "old lady"ish to me. The other thing, which may or may not be a problem for you: if you regularly call [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] “[name_f]Evie[/name_f]”, [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] may sound too similar and that could be confusing.

[name_f]Cece[/name_f]/Cici would be a totally sweet nickname for [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] (I sort of see what you mean about the “cess” names).

I love [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]!!!

[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] are both really lovely names - as are [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]!

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is a personal favourite of mine, so I’d have to vote for that but [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] is also very sweet. I don’t think using [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] would be a problem really - neither name is common enough for people to have assumptions about it, and the top 100 is FULL of nickname names like [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] anyway, so it’s not uncommon.

If you dislike ‘Cess’ nicknames, how about [name_f]CeCe[/name_f]? It was the first nn that came to mind for me. I reckon you could probably get away with [name_f]Lily[/name_f] too - as it’s the sound at the end of [name_f]Cecily[/name_f].

I agree with pp that you should probably just go to the hospital with your shortlist of two great names, and see if she looks like a [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or a [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

Good luck!

[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is gorgeous. You could always use [name_f]Cece[/name_f]/Cici as a nn. :slight_smile:

I really like [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]. As a teenager your daughter might like edgy popular nicknames like Cecy. Plus, it’s one of my favourites so I’m a little biased!

Thank you all so much for your kind replies and input. This has been really helpful. I so appreciate your shared thoughts!! :slight_smile:

I have this exact same dilemma (except I’m not actually naming a kid, so, you know, it’s not really something I have to worry about). The “cess” thing really bothered me, too, so my preferred version is [name_f]Cicely[/name_f]. It also just looks more balanced to me. I wouldn’t worry about the [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]/[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] thing. I think they both work- initially I thought maybe [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] were too close, but I don’t really think so now. Sorry, I’m not really much help, since I can’t decide myself. You can’t go wrong either way, though.