HELP! due in 3 weeks.

I am due in 3 weeks with my first girl! I have two boys [name]Trevor[/name] and [name]Asa[/name] and am trying to find the right name for their sister. My hubby and I have had a hard time picking out names and commiting to one…I keep changing my mind and he won’t commit. So we have managed to come up with a few that we both like
[name]Quinn[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], and [name]Aria[/name]. So here are my issues…
[name]Aria[/name]: I have a hang up with the whole same letters of their first names. I didn’t want to give her a name with a T or an A at the beginning but we really like [name]Aria[/name]. Does it sound too close to [name]Asa[/name]?
[name]Phoebe[/name]: my parents and siblings hate it. I really like it but they can’t get over the fact that the character on friends was really ditzy. I think it’s silly, that show was over like 10 years ago.
[name]Quinn[/name]: no major issues with [name]Quinn[/name] but I don’t want to settle either and part of me feels like [name]Quinn[/name] is one I’d be settling with because of my hangups with the other two names.
As you can guess, I’m giving my hubby a major headache with all this, lol. I would love your opinions! HELP!
Let me know too which name flows the best with [name]Trevor[/name] and [name]Asa[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] do you pronounce [name]Asa[/name]? I’ve never seen it before. From your list I love [name]Aria[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name]. I think they’re both really nice names but they also aren’t too popular. [name]Quinn[/name] on the other hand is becoming really popular. Since I don’t know how to pronounce [name]Asa[/name], I don’t really know if [name]Aria[/name] sounds too similar or not, so I think [name]Phoebe[/name] would be your best option. [name]Even[/name] though your family doesn’t like it, its your child and if its the name you chose they’ll eventually come around to it. They won’t like the child any less if they don’t agree with you on the name. And I really like [name]Phoebe[/name]'s character on Friends. It would be a cool namesake.

With Glee so popular [name]Quinn[/name] is on the rise (but it is a darling name if that doesn’t bother you). I too think of [name]Pheobe[/name] from Friends, but I think I would quickly get over it when I met someone with the name. I like [name]Aria[/name] most from your list. It is beautiful to say.

I love [name]Phoebe[/name]! Yes, she was ditzy on Friends, but she was also a peaceful hippie-- so not all bad! I do think that [name]Aria[/name] is too close to [name]Asa[/name], so I’d avoid that one…

Another [name]Asa[/name]! Great name, it’s my son’s too. I also love [name]Trevor[/name] but can’t use it. From your list, I like [name]Aria[/name] best on its own but not with [name]Asa[/name]. [name]Phoebe[/name] gets my vote, but only because I prefer [name]Quinn[/name] on a boy (my son’s middle). Good luck!

Another vote for [name]Phoebe[/name]! I think it’s a great name. [name]Love[/name] it!

I was called [name]Phoebe[/name] back in high school because of that character (some relatives were making fun of me) and even I like the name [name]Phoebe[/name]. I have met a few little girls named [name]Phoebe[/name] and have almost forgotten about the show ‘Friends.’ [name]Fiona[/name] reminds me of the name [name]Phoebe[/name]. [name]Aria[/name] is pretty, but it does look very close to your son’s name. [name]Don[/name]'t settle. [name]Quinn[/name] is nice, but this is YOUR daughter. Anyone who gave a negative opinion about a name will get over it once she is here.

Go with [name]Phoebe[/name]. Your relatives will get over it, and your child will change the existing associations they have.

[name]Remember[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name] Cates? Yeah, I didn’t think so. Well, she was probably the most famous [name]Phoebe[/name] from the '80s. Doubt many people think of her now. New associations will replace old ones, and as kmeyer pointed out Phoebe from friends is a sympathetic character with a surprising amount of wisdom and life experience. It’s not like you’re trying to name your child Bellatrix!

[name]Don[/name]'t be bullied by friends and family. [name]Phoebe[/name] is a great name and fits well in your sib-set. YOUR [name]Phoebe[/name] will change their minds about the name.

Go with [name]Phoebe[/name]! I understand where you are coming from with everyone not liking your choice. I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Ava[/name] and my parents and siblings don’t like it at all…I don’t know why they don’t. I’m from New Zealand so it’s not as popular here as it is in the US but it’s definitely heard of and used. I, too was trying to come up with another girl’s name that they approved off but I kept coming back to [name]Ava[/name] because it’s the name I [name]LOVE[/name] and that’s all that matters. My point is, if you [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Phoebe[/name] and want to use it, use it. [name]Don[/name]'t worry about what other people think…would you expect them to choose the name that suits you for their child?! The most important thing is you and your husband like it! I hope you do go with [name]Phoebe[/name] cos it’s gorgeous!

I love [name]Phoebe[/name] & think it goes great with your sons names. Its a cool, quirky name. its way more important that you & your husband [name]LOVE[/name] her name than what anyone else thinks. They’ll get used to it & then they won’t be able to imagine her being called anything different!!
Good luck!

Wow! You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for all your opinions. I called my mom about a week ago and told her I decided on [name]Phoebe[/name], ever since then she’s been calling multiple times a day offering up other name suggestions (thanks but no thanks :)). I love my momma but I just want to say to her “move on, she’s my daughter”. I’m so glad to hear all the positive associations with [name]Phoebe[/name], that it is liked and not necessarily associated with “Friends” in a bad way. I actually told my family, “so what if people think of friends when they hear her name, she wasn’t so bad, she was unique.” I was definitely settling with [name]Aria[/name] (I really didn’t want to pick a name that started or ended the same as one of my boys and this one does both!). So thanks for giving me a new found confidence about my name choice, I think [name]Trevor[/name], [name]Asa[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] fit well together too. Now I just have to come up with a middle name, lol. Oh, and for anyone wondering how to pronounce my sons name, it’s Ay-sah, or [name]Ace[/name]-a. This was another controversial name with my family and even lots of friends but my husband and I just loved it and felt it was right. We get compliments on it everyday and it suits him so well.

My step son is [name]Quinn[/name] ([name]Quintin[/name]), so I really dislike it on a girl.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Aria[/name], my angel’s middle name is [name]Aria[/name].

I [name]ADORE[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name]!

[name]Phoebe[/name] is an awesome name. I agree with others that your family will totally get used to it. Associations with their own granddaughter will definitely trump any they have with a character on a tv show! [name]Even[/name] if there was ditzy character with that name, to me [name]Phoebe[/name] is the opposite of a ditzy-sounding name. [name]Quinn[/name] doesn’t appeal to me, and [name]Aria[/name] immediately makes me think of an aria in opera.

While I really like all 3 of your names, it is clear which you should use. [name]Aria[/name] is too close to [name]Asa[/name], you feel like you’d be settling with [name]Quinn[/name], but it sounds like you really love [name]Phoebe[/name]. I’d say [name]Phoebe[/name] it is! I agree with the other posters on this thread that your family will get used to and even begin to love [name]Phoebe[/name] on your daughter, and it sounds great with [name]Trevor[/name] and [name]Asa[/name].

I love them all. Mostly, [name]Aria[/name]. If you’re really concerned with it being to close to [name]Asa[/name] (which is super cute) then what about [name]Ariana[/name] and calling her [name]Aria[/name] or [name]Ari[/name] for short? I do think that they are a little too close. I know a few [name]Phoebe[/name]'s and I love the name, they all fit it very well. Most names have some dumb character attachment… I don’t know any girll [name]Quinn[/name]'s and I don’t think you should “just go with it”

You definitely shouldn’t settle for something just because of hang ups. Go with the name YOU love regardless of what everyone else thinks, after all… it is YOUR child :]

I adore [name]Phoebe[/name]!! Defintely the best of the three you listed.

I am having similar family/friends issues with [name]Daphne[/name], a name we are strongly considering for your new dd.

[name]Don[/name]'t settle for [name]Quinn[/name]…imo it can be mistaken as a boys name.

Yea for not settling!

[name]Phoebe[/name]! [name]Phoebe[/name]! [name]Phoebe[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Trevor[/name], [name]Asa[/name], and [name]Phoebe[/name] are amazing together.

In the series 8 Cousins by [name]Louisa[/name] [name]May[/name] [name]Alcott[/name] there is a wonderful character named [name]Pheobe[/name]. This character won the affection of the others in the story with her strong work ethic, kindness to others, and her beautiful voice. I like the combo [name]Pheobe[/name] [name]Aria[/name] because it reminds me of that character. [name]Phoebe[/name] is a classic name that’s been around much longer than a tv character whom your daughter will likely not recognize.

[name]Love[/name] the name [name]Phoebe[/name]! And I’m with SweetPea2Peanut, I actually think [name]Louisa[/name] [name]May[/name] [name]Alcott[/name] and not Friends when I think [name]Phoebe[/name].

This is the exact reason we haven’t told family the names we’re considering…