Help!! First or Middle name for August

[name]August[/name] is a family name on both sides of our family. We have a little boy due…in [name]August[/name]! First…is it silly to name him [name]August[/name] with an [name]August[/name] birthday? We have gone back and forth about this and just can’t decide. Second…we aren’t sure if we will call him [name]August[/name] (not using it as the name he would go by might limit the irony of [name]August[/name] in [name]August[/name]) but we can’t decide on a name to go with it! We have a 2 syllable “er” ending last name that starts with a vowel so the Carters and Olivers are unfortunately out.

Some options in no order…

[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Reed[/name] (family name)
[name]Clay[/name]
[name]Colton[/name]
[name]Carson[/name]
[name]Lawson[/name] (family name)
[name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Weston[/name] (familiy name)
[name]Cade[/name]
[name]James[/name]

Any additional ideas or combinations are welcome! Thanks!!

I love the name [name]August[/name]; one of my absolute favorites! I really hope you decide to use it and that it is the name he goes by; I think it’s wonderful! And, I think the fact that he will be born in [name]August[/name] makes for a nice coincidence and a good reason to be nudged to use the name, but other than that is really a non-issue.
I think with a two syllable first and a two syllable last, it might be good to look for middle names with one or three syllables for flow, but this is not a hard and fast rule and there are certainly plenty of two syllable names that would sound great in the middle as well.
My favorite from your list is [name]August[/name] [name]James[/name], and I think it is extremely handsome.
I also noticed [name]Nathan[/name] on your list, which is nice, but I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Nathaniel[/name]! I can’t imagine a more amazing name!

[name]August[/name] is a good name, and I actually think it is better that he will be born in [name]August[/name]. People don’t name their daughters [name]June[/name] or [name]April[/name] if they are born in [name]November[/name] … My (male) cousin [name]October[/name] was born in [name]October[/name].

[name]Henry[/name] - such a handsome classic; I love this one! [name]August[/name] [name]Henry[/name] would be perfection, in my opinion.
[name]Reed[/name] - this would make a good middle, I think.
[name]Clay[/name] - it feels a little unfinished, and to me is a little like naming your child either Mud or Paint.
[name]Colton[/name] - due to the surname name trend, I personally would avoid this one. The nn [name]Colt[/name] is surprisingly appealing, though.
[name]Carson[/name] - this feels trendy, due to the surname name trend and the -son ending.
[name]Lawson[/name] (family name) - the same could apply to this one, but as it is a family name, and reminds me of [name]Laurence[/name], I don’t mind it. This would be a great middle name, except for the flow - [name]August[/name] [name]Lawson[/name] [name]Walker[/name] (a substitute for your surname) has a repetitive 2-2-2 syllable count.
[name]Nathan[/name] - this is quite nice, but I much prefer [name]Nathaniel[/name], which would also avoid the 2-2-2 syllable pattern. [name]August[/name] [name]Nathaniel[/name] or [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]August[/name]?
[name]Weston[/name] (familiy name) - again, the family connection is nice, but it would result in a 2-2-2 syllable pattern.
[name]Cade[/name] - personally, I think of motorcades.
[name]James[/name] - a great, handsome classic. I adore the nn [name]Jem[/name], too.

My preferences are, in order :
[name]August[/name] [name]James[/name] (or [name]James[/name] [name]August[/name], which has better flow, and is in my opinion impossibly handsome)
[name]August[/name] [name]Henry[/name] (this would give a 2-2-2 syllable pattern as well, but it is just such a brilliant name!)
[name]August[/name] [name]Reed[/name].

Good luck!

as a surname substitute because it is another family name…sadly already claimed by my sister! (We had to divide them up!)

[name]Hi[/name], and congratulations on your baby boy!

I guess I’ll be the spoil sport who says she thinks it is a tad bit cutesy to name a boy [name]August[/name] when he is born in [name]August[/name]. I say this because I think people will always be asking you, “So, was he named [name]August[/name] because of his birth month?” rather than appreciating the delicate, vintage, classic strength of the name! Maybe I’m over-thinking the issue, though. However, if you aren’t sure what you’d want to call him - and [name]August[/name] isn’t your immediate choice - then maybe you aren’t too sure about [name]August[/name] yourself. [name]Just[/name] a thought. Either way, I adore [name]August[/name], and I think it would make a stellar middle name!

[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Reed[/name] (family name)
[name]Clay[/name]
[name]Colton[/name]
[name]Carson[/name]
[name]Lawson[/name] (family name)
[name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Weston[/name] (familiy name)
[name]Cade[/name]
[name]James[/name]

So, if you decide to use [name]August[/name] as a middle name with your two-syllable surname (e.g., [name]Baker[/name]), ideally I’d choose a three-syllable first name. Now, none of the names on your list of potentials are three-syllable names - are you open to other suggestions? If so, I’ll list some below. If not, I’d try [name]James[/name] [name]August[/name] “[name]Baker[/name],” personally…

[name]Benjamin[/name] [name]August[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]Christian[/name] [name]August[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]Donovan[/name] [name]August[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]Elliot[/name] [name]August[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]Frederick[/name] [name]August[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]Harrison[/name] [name]August[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]Julian[/name] [name]August[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]Leopold[/name] [name]August[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]August[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]August[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”

[name]Do[/name] any of those appeal to you? If not, and you decide [name]August[/name] is the name you want up front, I’d choose either a one- or three-syllable middle name, so [name]August[/name] [name]Reed[/name] “[name]Baker[/name],” [name]August[/name] [name]James[/name] “[name]Baker[/name],” [name]August[/name] [name]Clay[/name] “[name]Baker[/name],” or even [name]August[/name] [name]Cade[/name] “[name]Baker[/name].” Or, switch up the three-syllable suggestions above!

[name]August[/name] [name]Anthony[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]August[/name] [name]Benedict[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]August[/name] [name]Christopher[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]August[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”
[name]August[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] “[name]Baker[/name]”

You get the point. Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile: